Not eating and tired cat.

Breed: regular cat
My kitty is a very playful cat. Runs, jumps and cuddles all day long. He is looking for me to give him food when I'm cooking. Since yesterday he is sleeping all day long not eating. I gave him his favorite wiskas and he didn't even look at it. I try to wake him up and he refuses. I try to make him walk and he just make some very very week steps and them go to sleep everywhere. He still purrs when I touch him but he seems so tired. What is happening with him and how much would it cost to help him go back to normal? I'm unemployed and I don't have a lot of money.

Hi Andres. I'm sorry to hear that Nahuel is not feeling well. The symptoms you have described do have me concerned. When a young cat is this lethargic there is usually something significant going on.

Is it possible that Nahuel has received a bite or a scratch from another cat? If he has a fever from a wound then this can cause the symptoms you have mentioned. While this type of problem can be serious, if caught early enough your vet can treat him with oral antibiotics. This is generally not terribly expensive. In my office it would cost about $80-$100 for the visit plus the medications.

It is also possible that he has a problem with his liver or kidneys which could be more serious. This is more likely if he has ingested something unusual such as certain houseplants.

If he is straining to urinate at all then he could have a urinary tract blockage which is very serious and requires an emergency visit tonight.

Pain can cause a cat to act like this as well. Unfortunately there is no over the counter medication that is safe to use for cats for pain.

Is he eating anything at all? If so, it is likely ok to wait 24-48 hours to see how things go. But, if he is not eating then he probably should be seen by a vet.

I hope he does ok!

I'm deeply sad to see him like this. Now I was seeing him and he seem to feel pain when I touch one of his legs. I have another cat and they play a lot. May be the other one bite Nahuel. I'm going to try to go tomorrow to a vet.

Thanks for all the information. I hope the problem is just that because I'm very very attached to him.

Thanks again!!

You're very welcome! I really hope he is ok!

Positive leishmaniasis test. my dog has just had a blood test result for leishmans the result is 0.1 and requires... (8540 views)

Kitten eating her feces. My kitten keeps eating her own poo and vomiting it back up and i dont know why... (12102 views)

Pale gums and seizure. Hi, 2 months ago buddy would go outside and if he would run/play hard he would come... (10799 views)

Biting at cysts. I have a 13 yr old cocker who has a lot of fatty cysts, she has had them for several... (8807 views)

Cancer in lungs? Josie has had a persistent cough for over a year, so I took her to my vet for a... (5781 views)

Feral cat with eye infection. We have a feral cat that was born in our yard 5 years ago. When he was a kitten he... (27056 views)

Should I do these tests? I have two shih tzu's from the same litter. They were born on 1/29/09, so they are... (16256 views)

Coughing kitten. I have a 6 wk old rescued kitten who in the past 2 days has developed a horrible... (14474 views)

lump on spay incision Hello Dr. Marie, Gracie was spayed 5 days ago. Her incision looks wonderful... (27352 views)

Blood blisters on a cat My cat has developed what appear to be blood blisters, one just below her nose and... (16745 views)