Not eating and tired cat.

Breed: regular cat
My kitty is a very playful cat. Runs, jumps and cuddles all day long. He is looking for me to give him food when I'm cooking. Since yesterday he is sleeping all day long not eating. I gave him his favorite wiskas and he didn't even look at it. I try to wake him up and he refuses. I try to make him walk and he just make some very very week steps and them go to sleep everywhere. He still purrs when I touch him but he seems so tired. What is happening with him and how much would it cost to help him go back to normal? I'm unemployed and I don't have a lot of money.

Hi Andres. I'm sorry to hear that Nahuel is not feeling well. The symptoms you have described do have me concerned. When a young cat is this lethargic there is usually something significant going on.

Is it possible that Nahuel has received a bite or a scratch from another cat? If he has a fever from a wound then this can cause the symptoms you have mentioned. While this type of problem can be serious, if caught early enough your vet can treat him with oral antibiotics. This is generally not terribly expensive. In my office it would cost about $80-$100 for the visit plus the medications.

It is also possible that he has a problem with his liver or kidneys which could be more serious. This is more likely if he has ingested something unusual such as certain houseplants.

If he is straining to urinate at all then he could have a urinary tract blockage which is very serious and requires an emergency visit tonight.

Pain can cause a cat to act like this as well. Unfortunately there is no over the counter medication that is safe to use for cats for pain.

Is he eating anything at all? If so, it is likely ok to wait 24-48 hours to see how things go. But, if he is not eating then he probably should be seen by a vet.

I hope he does ok!

I'm deeply sad to see him like this. Now I was seeing him and he seem to feel pain when I touch one of his legs. I have another cat and they play a lot. May be the other one bite Nahuel. I'm going to try to go tomorrow to a vet.

Thanks for all the information. I hope the problem is just that because I'm very very attached to him.

Thanks again!!

You're very welcome! I really hope he is ok!

Cat losing hair in patches Our cat has started loosing hair in spots. HE is an orange tabby. White spots... (22174 views)

Wobbly Boxer. My 3 year old boxer has been having some issues. He has always been very very clumsy... (13493 views)

Sluggish Boxer My Boxer got sluggish on the 20th of March so we took him to the vets. They did... (11047 views)

Cat can't gain weight. My cat is underweight, I've tried feeding her more but it isn't working... How can I... (20490 views)

Constipated cat. For the past 2 weeks or so, my cat has been having some constipation. I think it... (20891 views)

Pale stool and orange urine. Last Saturday night, my dog's stool started looking strange. Pale and very soft,... (9608 views)

Cushing's and diabetes. My dog was diagnosed last month with cushings disease and diabetes. He's up to 14... (20327 views)

dead skin on wound My dog has a skin Lesion due to a cage injury. He tried to get out the cage under... (34763 views)

Recovery from FCE. Our dog was diagnosed with FCE about two months ago, I have been noticing some... (12319 views)

Sore neck Hi Dr. Marie, You've been helpful in the past, so I thought I'd ask you another... (6807 views)