Exercise induced collapse.

Breed: Labrador Retreiver
I have a labrador retriever and she is about 4 years old, 60 lbs and she is a girl. She is just mildly overweight and after running around for 3-5 minutes playing frisbee, lately (the past few days) my dog starts becoming disorientated, starts walking sideways, and starts to falling all over and collapsing. She starts to pant heavily as well; the weather has been aproximately 20 - 25 degrees celcious. After taking her home she cools down in the pool and is alright, and this does not repeat until the next time we go out and play frisbee. Is she okay? Should we be concerned, what should we do?

I'm sorry to hear that Chelsea is having these problems. There are a few things that this could be, but the first one that jumps to mind is something called Exercise Induced Collapse of Labradors.

This is a genetic problem. Dogs that have this condition can have weakness after 5 to 15 minutes of exercise. The condition is often worse in the hot weather.

There is a test for the gene that causes exercise induced collapse. Your vet can run a test via the University of Minnesota.

There is no specific treatment for this condition. The best thing is to avoid exercise in the hot weather. Some vets will also treat with things like carnitine, coenzyme q10 or riboflavin. In some cases, an anti-seizure drug called phenobarbital can be given.

There are other possibilities such as a serious heart condition, a condition called myasthenia gravis, something called malignant hyperthermia and also a spinal problem (i.e back pain). But, my guess would definitely be on exercise induced collapse.

I would highly suggest that you have Chelsea examined by your veterinarian. They will likely do some blood tests to get a general idea of her health and they can look into the genetic testing at U of Minnesota.

I should add that most of the patients that I have had with this problem did really well if the owners were just careful not to exercise them in the heat.

I hope she does ok!

Thank you so much for your thorough reply, it was very helpful and useful! Is it normal for this condition to appear only after 3 or afterwards (i.e. ever since she was a puppy she used to be able to run around following my father who would mountain bike for over an hour without any problems)? Again I really appreciate this service as it is convenient and valuable.

On average, the condition appears somewhere between 7 months and 2 years of age...but that's just an average. It's certainly possible to appear at 3.

So glad you find my site helpful! I hope Chelsea does ok!

Dog drinking and panting lots. my dog has been drinking and panting a lot since i changed his dog food last summer.... (13646 views)

Pill stuck in cat's mouth. Hi Dr. Marie. I took my cat to the Vet on Thursday for 6 month blood work. She is... (8077 views)

Cat's tail fell off. My cat is a male, seven year old, siamese crossed with ginger named Skittles. Around... (46156 views)

Swollen cheek on puppy. 3 days ago I came home to find my dogs right cheek swollen to golf ball size. ... (15513 views)

Hamster has crusty eye. my hamster is 2 years old and a week ago i noticed his right eye has crusted over i... (9826 views)

Reusing thermometers I took my Lhasa Apso, Monroe, to Banfield at PetSmart today. He is having issues... (12629 views)

Supraglan for Cushing's? My dog was recently diagnosed with Cushing's disease. He has been drinking a lot of... (17730 views)

Wobbly Boxer. My 3 year old boxer has been having some issues. He has always been very very clumsy... (11499 views)

Vomiting bile. My dog has been throwing up all day, and all though the night. The throw up is... (42287 views)

Lethargic cat My cat has been lethargic for a couple days. Noticed yesterday afternoon. She... (18114 views)