Dog throws up 3-5 times per week.

Breed: Shih Tzu
Max is active & playful. He's a picky eater but seems to eat enough and drinks plenty of water. But he throws up 3-5 times a week. Never food in it; just yellow phlegmy bile. Any ideas?

Thanks for your question. This is something that a lot of my clients ask me. Often we don't know why a dog will vomit a few times per week.

Here are a few thoughts.

It would be great to keep a food diary for Max. Write down EVERYTHING that he eats. Then, when he vomits write that down as well. You may start to make a connection that the vomiting is related to a particular type of treat or food that he is getting.

It's not a bad idea to try a change to a different kind of food. It's hard to know what a good food is, but three that I recommend are Iams, Royal Canin and Science Diet. Sometimes one food will sit better than another in a dog's stomach.

Is Max the type of dog that will eat toys or other things that he shouldn't? Some dogs who vomit occasionally do so because there is something stuck in their stomach. I once had a patient who was a cat who vomited every now and then. When we took xrays the cat had a stomach full of hair elastics! He needed surgery to remove them and did not vomit after that.

Some dogs will vomit if their stomach is really empty. You can try spreading out his feedings so he gets more feedings through the day. If he vomits in the morning, then try offering him some food just before bedtime.

You can also give him some famotidine (pepcid) which you can buy at the pharmacy. This is an antacid that helps with vomiting. The dose is 0.5mg per pound, so if your dog weighed 5 pounds then his dose would be 2.5mg which is 1/4 of a 10 mg tablet.

I hope that helps!

Pelvis fracture. Dear Dr Marie, My dog currently has a broken pelvis that is not mending. It... (18159 views)

Boxer with distended stomach and pale gums ******Urgent Please******CAN NOT AFFORD UPGRADE [Editor's Note: Questions are... (18764 views)

Do dogs get gonorrhea? Hi Dr. Marie, I just got diagnosed with gonorrhea, which is devastating to me. I... (39678 views)

Tapeworm and roundworm meds. Is it safe to give my cat praziquantel for his tapeworm 2 days after I gave him... (25893 views)

Dog ate acorn Dear Dr. Marie: Back again! While on a walk tonight, Jammy may have gotten a bit... (101417 views)

Tubes in dogs ears? our bulldog has bad problems with his ears they are almost swollen shut. our vet... (18517 views)

Breed dog on next heat? I am interested in breeding my dog when she comes in to heat. What do I need to... (9446 views)

Immune mediated disease. Our dog was taken to the vet on July 3rd after 2 days of lethargy and falling over... (16988 views)

Itchy dog. Desirae was gave to us,she was dirty and i belive she was kept outside,when we got... (6237 views)

Puppy has runny nose. Heavy clear drool vomited once this morning Oct 29th 2010 7am. Very wet nose no loss... (11576 views)