Dog throws up 3-5 times per week.

Breed: Shih Tzu
Max is active & playful. He's a picky eater but seems to eat enough and drinks plenty of water. But he throws up 3-5 times a week. Never food in it; just yellow phlegmy bile. Any ideas?

Thanks for your question. This is something that a lot of my clients ask me. Often we don't know why a dog will vomit a few times per week.

Here are a few thoughts.

It would be great to keep a food diary for Max. Write down EVERYTHING that he eats. Then, when he vomits write that down as well. You may start to make a connection that the vomiting is related to a particular type of treat or food that he is getting.

It's not a bad idea to try a change to a different kind of food. It's hard to know what a good food is, but three that I recommend are Iams, Royal Canin and Science Diet. Sometimes one food will sit better than another in a dog's stomach.

Is Max the type of dog that will eat toys or other things that he shouldn't? Some dogs who vomit occasionally do so because there is something stuck in their stomach. I once had a patient who was a cat who vomited every now and then. When we took xrays the cat had a stomach full of hair elastics! He needed surgery to remove them and did not vomit after that.

Some dogs will vomit if their stomach is really empty. You can try spreading out his feedings so he gets more feedings through the day. If he vomits in the morning, then try offering him some food just before bedtime.

You can also give him some famotidine (pepcid) which you can buy at the pharmacy. This is an antacid that helps with vomiting. The dose is 0.5mg per pound, so if your dog weighed 5 pounds then his dose would be 2.5mg which is 1/4 of a 10 mg tablet.

I hope that helps!

What caused liver fracture? We fostered an abused, rescue dog in January of 2012 to May 2012 when she died... (12176 views)

Irregular heart rhythm. MY 12 year old lurcher ran into a car and broke a leg and a few ribs he is in... (9446 views)

Sore pug. The first time we thought something was wrong was when we took him out for his usual... (6955 views)

Puppy died. My 7week old puppy died yesterday. She laid around all weekend and was not very... (10968 views)

Parvo recovery. I'M LOOKING AT A PUP THAT IS RECOVERING FROM PARVO. WHAT IS THE RECOVERY TIME AND... (25629 views)

Persistent hymen in dog. Mam, i own a female german sheperd. the problem is i cant breed her due to the grown... (15662 views)

Young cat died after sneezing. I run a very small rescue. I have about 10 cat cages that I utilize. I had four... (9126 views)

Constipation or megacolon? We having been treating sassy for constipation issues for almost 3 yrs with 1.5... (5812 views)

Itchy and meowing. Hi my female cat is 14 she has been very itchy lately she is a indoor cat only she's... (7507 views)

Problems with Rimadyl? she seems to have paralysis of her front left paw. she can not stand on her own and... (23919 views)