Dog throws up 3-5 times per week.

Breed: Shih Tzu
Max is active & playful. He's a picky eater but seems to eat enough and drinks plenty of water. But he throws up 3-5 times a week. Never food in it; just yellow phlegmy bile. Any ideas?

Thanks for your question. This is something that a lot of my clients ask me. Often we don't know why a dog will vomit a few times per week.

Here are a few thoughts.

It would be great to keep a food diary for Max. Write down EVERYTHING that he eats. Then, when he vomits write that down as well. You may start to make a connection that the vomiting is related to a particular type of treat or food that he is getting.

It's not a bad idea to try a change to a different kind of food. It's hard to know what a good food is, but three that I recommend are Iams, Royal Canin and Science Diet. Sometimes one food will sit better than another in a dog's stomach.

Is Max the type of dog that will eat toys or other things that he shouldn't? Some dogs who vomit occasionally do so because there is something stuck in their stomach. I once had a patient who was a cat who vomited every now and then. When we took xrays the cat had a stomach full of hair elastics! He needed surgery to remove them and did not vomit after that.

Some dogs will vomit if their stomach is really empty. You can try spreading out his feedings so he gets more feedings through the day. If he vomits in the morning, then try offering him some food just before bedtime.

You can also give him some famotidine (pepcid) which you can buy at the pharmacy. This is an antacid that helps with vomiting. The dose is 0.5mg per pound, so if your dog weighed 5 pounds then his dose would be 2.5mg which is 1/4 of a 10 mg tablet.

I hope that helps!

Vomiting undigested food. I read in a magazine Woman's World about your service to give pet medical advice. My... (17063 views)

Itchy behind neck and ears. My cat, fuzzy, is starting to itch behind her neck, her ear area, base of her tail,... (8494 views)

Does my cat have glaucoma? About 2 weeks ago, I started noticing that Mietzi's right pupil would always stay... (4410 views)

congested kitten Hi,i recently took in a stray kitten & a few days ago she started coughing on &... (9784 views)

Fly biting seizures. At night with the lights on, Misha snaps at the air as if she's catching flies.... (16782 views)

Seizures Max is 14. Four nights ago he had a big seizure that lasted about 60-90 seconds. ... (84445 views)

Dog seizured while boarding. Last March, I boarded Niko at the vet while on vacation. Until then he had been a... (11378 views)

Black spots on belly and chest. Hello, About a month ago we noticed these black spots on Xander's belly. There were... (200206 views)

Dog died after injections. Our 12 yo 12 lb healthy mini dachsund fell off our bed in the middle of the night.... (4523 views)

Cat's leg swollen. Hi there. I've spent an hour or more doing research about this online, and I'm at a... (6966 views)