Balding on legs and belly.

Breed: Long Haired
My cat is bald on the back of her legs and losing hair on her belly as well.

Hi Mary! I just have a few questions for you before I answer:

Does your cat have any lesions (red areas, bumps, flakiness)?
Are you using any flea preventative?

No lesions, just hair loss. We do not use flea prevention. I have had cats for 30 years and have never had a problem with fleas.

Thanks for that info!

The most common reason for a cat to lose hair in these areas is from overgrooming which is usually due to "stress". I say "stress" in quotes because often these cats live very peaceful lives and their owners cannot fathom that they could be stressed. But sometimes the source of stress can be something that seems insignificant to us but very important to the cat.

In most overgrooming cats I don't do a whole lot in the way of treatment unless they are causing themselves to have lesions.

You may also want to ask your vet about the possibility of a parasite called Demodex gattoi which can cause these patterns of hair loss, but it is not very common.
It is also not a bad idea to use a prescription strength flea product just to be sure as well.

If you do feel like she needs treatment many cats do well when prescribed amitryptilline to help reduce anxiety.

Homeopathic treatment of FIP. Hello, My cat is verified (80% confirmed) to infect FIP(wet type). The vet told... (13642 views)

Puppies with dandruff. We got 5 puppies from a friend of mine and the puppies have hair loss itching and it... (7286 views)

Painful erection for dog. Help Dr Marie, My puppy is not neutered and three or four times I have found him... (17507 views)

White tongue in a kitten. Kitten 6weeks old looks like a 4 week old. Sootie has a white tongue? Is it... (16744 views)

Why did my dog die? I have a query re. cause of death in older dog. She was a Yorkshire Terrier,... (29780 views)

Euthanize aggressive dog? I adopted my dog Nubby a year ago from a local shelter. A few months after I adopted... (30215 views)

Severe arthritis. Hi Dr. Marie, My sweet Murphys is displaying weakness in hind legs, (they... (6949 views)

High liver enzymes. After vomiting, we took him to the vet, thinking it was a sinus or allergy... (11570 views)

Vet is pushing veterinary foods. I have a new to me vet who is insistent on my giving my cats 'veterinary' food. My... (7088 views)

pain after root canal Had major teeth work performed about 3 months ago as we noticed her breath and she... (8076 views)