Balding on legs and belly.

Breed: Long Haired
My cat is bald on the back of her legs and losing hair on her belly as well.

Hi Mary! I just have a few questions for you before I answer:

Does your cat have any lesions (red areas, bumps, flakiness)?
Are you using any flea preventative?

No lesions, just hair loss. We do not use flea prevention. I have had cats for 30 years and have never had a problem with fleas.

Thanks for that info!

The most common reason for a cat to lose hair in these areas is from overgrooming which is usually due to "stress". I say "stress" in quotes because often these cats live very peaceful lives and their owners cannot fathom that they could be stressed. But sometimes the source of stress can be something that seems insignificant to us but very important to the cat.

In most overgrooming cats I don't do a whole lot in the way of treatment unless they are causing themselves to have lesions.

You may also want to ask your vet about the possibility of a parasite called Demodex gattoi which can cause these patterns of hair loss, but it is not very common.
It is also not a bad idea to use a prescription strength flea product just to be sure as well.

If you do feel like she needs treatment many cats do well when prescribed amitryptilline to help reduce anxiety.

Itchy spot on thigh. my dog has started scratching his inner hind leg on one side and he licked and... (7139 views)

Diarrhea and vomiting in kittens. Hello Marie, thanks in advance. (Sorry for the English we are from Finland)... (7676 views)

Cat losing fur on belly. Over the past month my eldest cat has lost a lot of her fur on her belly and back... (90438 views)

Kittens with diarrhea We have kept the 5 kittens born to our momma cat. [they will be "fixed" when it is... (12762 views)

Cat with pseudomonas infection. Sorry to bother you again. I wrote to you abt Shakey who has Pseudomas bacteria... (12963 views)

Dripping blood. My 13 year old female, spayed,Doberman is in good health (with lots of benign... (36896 views)

Itchy behind neck and ears. My cat, fuzzy, is starting to itch behind her neck, her ear area, base of her tail,... (11461 views)

Ear infection and FIV. Hi, I got Monty from a rescue home 5 months ago. he is an fiv + cat and looked so... (8754 views)

Has my cat been poisoned? I think my cat has been poisoned. We found him very unlike himself, just sitting a... (9848 views)

Slimy white stuff in urine. Last night my cat urinated on the couch. That's abnormal on it's own but, in... (33373 views)