Balding on legs and belly.

Breed: Long Haired
My cat is bald on the back of her legs and losing hair on her belly as well.

Hi Mary! I just have a few questions for you before I answer:

Does your cat have any lesions (red areas, bumps, flakiness)?
Are you using any flea preventative?

No lesions, just hair loss. We do not use flea prevention. I have had cats for 30 years and have never had a problem with fleas.

Thanks for that info!

The most common reason for a cat to lose hair in these areas is from overgrooming which is usually due to "stress". I say "stress" in quotes because often these cats live very peaceful lives and their owners cannot fathom that they could be stressed. But sometimes the source of stress can be something that seems insignificant to us but very important to the cat.

In most overgrooming cats I don't do a whole lot in the way of treatment unless they are causing themselves to have lesions.

You may also want to ask your vet about the possibility of a parasite called Demodex gattoi which can cause these patterns of hair loss, but it is not very common.
It is also not a bad idea to use a prescription strength flea product just to be sure as well.

If you do feel like she needs treatment many cats do well when prescribed amitryptilline to help reduce anxiety.

Can you die from a cat bite? hello dr.marie.i am too small to pay your fees but scared that i am not getting any... (19853 views)

Side effects of Trilostane. Buddy was diagnosed with Cushings Disease about 5 weeks ago. He had extensive blood... (17122 views)

Dog has an upset stomach. Hi, (again) Dr. Marie: For the past week, Jammy has been having an upset stomach... (12302 views)

Did raw food cause death? Hi, Dr. Marie, My sweet Shiva, who has been with me since an 8-wk old pup in 2002,... (8583 views)

Paralyzed chihuahua My Dog Was Lost For 2 days and i found him 12-11-10 at 4pm curled up in a ball... (10559 views)

Jack Russel skin problems. My Jack Russel has bad skin. Every now and again she gets really itchy and has bald... (17224 views)

Understanding biopsy report. Hi Dr. Marie, I imagine you are getting sick of hearing from me. I'm... (7222 views)

Cat licking his fur. Good evening, My 4 year old tuxedo cat has always been quite special (he meows... (14501 views)

Grade 5 heart murmur. Hello, my 12 year old beagle just recently went into the vet for a check up and the... (13780 views)

Abdominal mass in a cat. My husband and I put down our Ivy today. It was rather sudden and unexpected and... (48564 views)