Balding on legs and belly.

Breed: Long Haired
My cat is bald on the back of her legs and losing hair on her belly as well.

Hi Mary! I just have a few questions for you before I answer:

Does your cat have any lesions (red areas, bumps, flakiness)?
Are you using any flea preventative?

No lesions, just hair loss. We do not use flea prevention. I have had cats for 30 years and have never had a problem with fleas.

Thanks for that info!

The most common reason for a cat to lose hair in these areas is from overgrooming which is usually due to "stress". I say "stress" in quotes because often these cats live very peaceful lives and their owners cannot fathom that they could be stressed. But sometimes the source of stress can be something that seems insignificant to us but very important to the cat.

In most overgrooming cats I don't do a whole lot in the way of treatment unless they are causing themselves to have lesions.

You may also want to ask your vet about the possibility of a parasite called Demodex gattoi which can cause these patterns of hair loss, but it is not very common.
It is also not a bad idea to use a prescription strength flea product just to be sure as well.

If you do feel like she needs treatment many cats do well when prescribed amitryptilline to help reduce anxiety.

Broken leg in puppy? hi my puppu fell off the bed and now she cant put any weight on her front left paw... (26230 views)

Vomiting Dog. I contacted you about Little White Dog on April 24. She had had an exploratory to... (21762 views)

What is a CG8 blood test? Hi, my vet wants to do blood tests to see how Frankie is doing, he seems to have... (10317 views)

Natural flea product? Dear Dr. Marie: We use Sentry Natural Defense squeeze-on flea control product on... (12916 views)

Coughing puppy. My 3 month old puppy is trying to hack/cough up as if she has something stuck in... (14336 views)

Dog had large tumor and died. Our dog Jessie, just passed away suddenly on Friday morning. She went off on her... (15357 views)

How much water does a puppy drink? My dog is almost 9 months old and he drinks water all the time i often find him... (16651 views)

Pooping and peeing outside of box. I own two cats and they're both litter box trained but today my oldest cat pooped... (10097 views)

Vomiting, diarrhea and red eyes. Hi Dr. Marie, My cat Mercy is 6 years old and is an indoor cat (she is deaf). ... (16136 views)

Severe liver problems. I took Dillinger to vet on Friday, and after a blood test and urine analysis the vet... (9603 views)