Dog is limping.

Breed: rottweiller
Denaro has had a limp in his left front leg for about a month, it goes from a noticable limp (after even short walks) to mild almost non existant. I have had him at my vet numerous times ($800 spent so far) he has had blood taken and analized (nothing showed) he has had xrays (my vet said it may be an arthritic episode but suggested I have the xrays looked at by a specialist which I also did) the specialist said that his joints looked fine...I put him on a more stringent diet at their advice (he was heavy but not overly) and we trimmed his weight down healthy and gradual. He has been on metacam oral suspension ($80 per 32ml) which seems to work at times but even after lengthy rest and very minimal excersise the problem persists...he is active, normal energy level, great appetite, stool is normal, gums and teeth clean and pink, eyes clear and whites of them clear as well, temp normal...I have tried to find an answer to this to no avail and I am reluctant to throw more good money at this for what I can only describe as guesswork on the part of my vet. I have even consulted a second vet who wants to do the same barrage of tests and xrays. What can u suggest

Hi and thanks for your question. This sounds like a frustrating situation. Unfortunately I have had cases like this too. While *usually* do find the cause I have had some lameness cases that we simply can't figure out the answer for.

It sounds like your vet is doing all of the same things that I would do.

If this were my case, I would likely want to repeat some xrays (assuming that it has been a few weeks since the first ones). There are some conditions where we don't see radiographic changes early in the disease, but after a period of time we can see changes. Unfortunately one of the things that I would be looking for is evidence of osteosarcoma which is a bone cancer that can be common in rotties.

Another possible thing you could do is to ask your vet to refer you to see an orthopedic specialist. This appointment will likely cost about $100-$200 but if there is something unusual going on with Denaro's leg than a specialist has a better chance of being able to diagnose it.

If you live in an area where there are a lot of ticks you can ask your vet about the possibility of lyme disease causing these symptoms.

I'm sorry that this is so frustrating! If doing more tests is just not an option right now then what I would recommend (if it were my case) is to continue with the Metacam long term. You could ask your vet about a similar drug to Metacam that is called Previcox. I find it works as well as Metacam but usually costs less. You can also ask your vet about glucosamine supplements.

I really hope he is feeling better soon!

Thank you for your prompt reply, I will go in for another batch of xrays I had another rotti who had lymphosarcoma and had to be put down when he was 7. I am hoping this will not be another scenario like that thanks again for your advice

Urinating in her sleep. my dog has urinated in her sleep 3 times in the past few days the first time she was... (8166 views)

Vomiting and congested. Got a new kitten Older cat now is throwing up saliva in its mouth and has now... (19663 views)

Test for Cushings? My dog is breathing rapidly, about 60 times per minute, night and day, but otherwise... (6032 views)

Not putting weight on leg. Our cat jumped off the fridge and did something to his back leg. He limps now. When... (11557 views)

Irregular heart rhythm. MY 12 year old lurcher ran into a car and broke a leg and a few ribs he is in... (8623 views)

IVDD in dog. My dog Basil woke up this morning and would not jump off of the bed, go down steps,... (12294 views)

Puppy died and had fluid in lungs. Hi Dr. Marie, My case is probally irrelevant now since my 14 weeks puppy(american... (16288 views)

Can dogs eat fruits and vegetables? Can dogs eat vegatbles or fruits. Thank... (10990 views)

Cancer in lungs? Josie has had a persistent cough for over a year, so I took her to my vet for a... (5462 views)

Prednisone and Tramadol for Neck Pain. Seymour is a 7-year old black neufy/mix, 110 lbs,very strong and energetic. The... (15839 views)