Hill's k/d for bladder stones

Breed: English Bulldog
Nigel developed kidney stones and had surgery to removed them and re-route the urethra. Vet is insisting on Hill's K/D dry diet. He gained 3.5 pounds in the first 2 weeks alone being on this food. Constipation was addressed and vet said he just "had to get used to it". 2 scoops a day and he's at least 10 pounds over-weight now. How is this dry diet, full of binding/constipating fillers better for my English Bully than a quality moist or raw?

Sorry to hear that Nigel is having issues with his food. This is a tough question to answer without knowing Nigel's entire situation but I can give you some of my thoughts.

It sounds like the kidney stones may have been calcium oxalate stones. If this is the case then we like to feed a food that is meant to keep the pH of the urine from getting too low. This type of diet is low protein, but in order to make up for calories it is higher in fat. This is likely why Nigel is gaining weight.

You may want to ask your vet about the possibility of Nigel going on Royal Canin s/o food. This food is usually good for prevention of most bladder stones.

Raw feeding is a controversial area. Unfortunately I am not a fan. It *can* be done properly, but quite often I have seen dogs with dietary imbalances or bacterial problems as a result of feeding raw. Additionally, raw food diets tend to be high in protein which will cause the urinary pH to decrease and predispose Nigel to getting more stones.

Here is an idea for you. You could call your vet's office and ask if one of the technicians would be willing to consult with Hill's about Nigel's issues with k/d. The food company reps usually have a solution for most problems that are food related.

In the meantime you can ask your vet if adding some canned pumpkin to Nigel's food is ok. This will increase the fiber and hopefully help with the constipation.

I hope this helps!

Are tomatoes bad for dogs? I have a question about dogs and tomatoes. I accidentally fed my dog a few(maybe... (548320 views)

High lipase and triglycerides. Hi Dr. Marie I am following up with you regarding Oreo's Vacuolar Hepatopathy... (8194 views)

Home remedy for ear infection? Hello, My golden bailey was sprayed by a skunk in September, his shots are up to... (14141 views)

Is clostridium zoonotic? Clostridium Type A has been known to cause sudden death in healthy deer but it has... (9073 views)

Dog died of pancreatitis. My yorkie died at the vets. She was 10 and a half. I fed her new dog food... (34357 views)

Megaesophagus in a puppy. I have a 7 week old lab/pit mix puppy who has been throwing up her food since we got... (9472 views)

Itchy bumps on back. I took my dog to get groomed about 6 weeks ago and I noticed that she got a few... (12835 views)

Contagious seizures. Blake is a 2yr old German shepherd that started having epileptic fits in june 2010.... (12692 views)

10 month puppy with heartworm. I am considering adopting a 10 month old puppy from the SPCA and was told he was... (13265 views)

Itchy dog. I had noticed the oldest one of my dogs, Chloe, chewing and itching a little more... (48317 views)