Hill's k/d for bladder stones

Breed: English Bulldog
Nigel developed kidney stones and had surgery to removed them and re-route the urethra. Vet is insisting on Hill's K/D dry diet. He gained 3.5 pounds in the first 2 weeks alone being on this food. Constipation was addressed and vet said he just "had to get used to it". 2 scoops a day and he's at least 10 pounds over-weight now. How is this dry diet, full of binding/constipating fillers better for my English Bully than a quality moist or raw?

Sorry to hear that Nigel is having issues with his food. This is a tough question to answer without knowing Nigel's entire situation but I can give you some of my thoughts.

It sounds like the kidney stones may have been calcium oxalate stones. If this is the case then we like to feed a food that is meant to keep the pH of the urine from getting too low. This type of diet is low protein, but in order to make up for calories it is higher in fat. This is likely why Nigel is gaining weight.

You may want to ask your vet about the possibility of Nigel going on Royal Canin s/o food. This food is usually good for prevention of most bladder stones.

Raw feeding is a controversial area. Unfortunately I am not a fan. It *can* be done properly, but quite often I have seen dogs with dietary imbalances or bacterial problems as a result of feeding raw. Additionally, raw food diets tend to be high in protein which will cause the urinary pH to decrease and predispose Nigel to getting more stones.

Here is an idea for you. You could call your vet's office and ask if one of the technicians would be willing to consult with Hill's about Nigel's issues with k/d. The food company reps usually have a solution for most problems that are food related.

In the meantime you can ask your vet if adding some canned pumpkin to Nigel's food is ok. This will increase the fiber and hopefully help with the constipation.

I hope this helps!

Cataracts, thirst and lethargy. Hi Dr Marie, I am writing for reasons of my pug that I have just been informed... (8380 views)

Black bumps in cat's ear. My friend has 3 cats (all unrelated) out of her 6 cats, that all have melanoma's in... (63797 views)

Cat's foot is swollen. His left back foot is swollen and his paw. Ever since it was swollen he has been... (7705 views)

Problems with Rimadyl? she seems to have paralysis of her front left paw. she can not stand on her own and... (22834 views)

Can I use Trifexis now? The flea population is horrible in WV this year, like most of the eastern US. We... (13746 views)

Older dog acting strange. I have had Dakota since he was 3 months old and he will be 12 in January. The... (11524 views)

Painful erection for dog. Help Dr Marie, My puppy is not neutered and three or four times I have found him... (17569 views)

Cat has poop stuck to bum. My cat was a rescue from a pet hoarder and was taken too young from her mother. She... (10981 views)

Problems after ear cleaning. I took my cat to the vet about three weeks ago to his ears flushed out because he... (11531 views)

Spots on belly of Golden Retriever. my dog recently had dirty brown spots on her stomach when i touch them or wash them... (15265 views)