Hill's k/d for bladder stones

Breed: English Bulldog
Nigel developed kidney stones and had surgery to removed them and re-route the urethra. Vet is insisting on Hill's K/D dry diet. He gained 3.5 pounds in the first 2 weeks alone being on this food. Constipation was addressed and vet said he just "had to get used to it". 2 scoops a day and he's at least 10 pounds over-weight now. How is this dry diet, full of binding/constipating fillers better for my English Bully than a quality moist or raw?

Sorry to hear that Nigel is having issues with his food. This is a tough question to answer without knowing Nigel's entire situation but I can give you some of my thoughts.

It sounds like the kidney stones may have been calcium oxalate stones. If this is the case then we like to feed a food that is meant to keep the pH of the urine from getting too low. This type of diet is low protein, but in order to make up for calories it is higher in fat. This is likely why Nigel is gaining weight.

You may want to ask your vet about the possibility of Nigel going on Royal Canin s/o food. This food is usually good for prevention of most bladder stones.

Raw feeding is a controversial area. Unfortunately I am not a fan. It *can* be done properly, but quite often I have seen dogs with dietary imbalances or bacterial problems as a result of feeding raw. Additionally, raw food diets tend to be high in protein which will cause the urinary pH to decrease and predispose Nigel to getting more stones.

Here is an idea for you. You could call your vet's office and ask if one of the technicians would be willing to consult with Hill's about Nigel's issues with k/d. The food company reps usually have a solution for most problems that are food related.

In the meantime you can ask your vet if adding some canned pumpkin to Nigel's food is ok. This will increase the fiber and hopefully help with the constipation.

I hope this helps!

OTC sedation for cats. I just brought my two cats home from their dental cleaning and found out that they... (92168 views)

Panting after insulin. My 6 year old dog was Diagnosed with diabetes 5 months ago. Having some trouble... (39748 views)

Arthritis medicines for cats. Please tell me what you use for daily dose meloxicam for 12 pound 15 yr old cat.... (6638 views)

Vita Calm in dogs? i was wondering if i could safly use vitacalm for hosres on my dog for his... (7986 views)

Rabbit not moving. this morning she was fine, now she is laying lifeless, her belly is flat like she... (6102 views)

Papilloma Virus. My seven month old puppy developed papilloma virus warts on his lips and then his... (23431 views)

Cat with renal lymphoma. I have a 7 year old female cat who, over the course of the past six months,... (8928 views)

Constantly meowing for food. Two years ago, we adopted a stray cat that was living in the bushes outside our... (5704 views)

9 month old puppy pregnant? My puppy is only 9 months old and she was in heat for her first time. Her father was... (33799 views)

Bald spot on cat's back. My friend's 1 1/2 yr. old cat has been losing the hair from it's tail for about 10... (39850 views)