Hill's k/d for bladder stones

Breed: English Bulldog
Nigel developed kidney stones and had surgery to removed them and re-route the urethra. Vet is insisting on Hill's K/D dry diet. He gained 3.5 pounds in the first 2 weeks alone being on this food. Constipation was addressed and vet said he just "had to get used to it". 2 scoops a day and he's at least 10 pounds over-weight now. How is this dry diet, full of binding/constipating fillers better for my English Bully than a quality moist or raw?

Sorry to hear that Nigel is having issues with his food. This is a tough question to answer without knowing Nigel's entire situation but I can give you some of my thoughts.

It sounds like the kidney stones may have been calcium oxalate stones. If this is the case then we like to feed a food that is meant to keep the pH of the urine from getting too low. This type of diet is low protein, but in order to make up for calories it is higher in fat. This is likely why Nigel is gaining weight.

You may want to ask your vet about the possibility of Nigel going on Royal Canin s/o food. This food is usually good for prevention of most bladder stones.

Raw feeding is a controversial area. Unfortunately I am not a fan. It *can* be done properly, but quite often I have seen dogs with dietary imbalances or bacterial problems as a result of feeding raw. Additionally, raw food diets tend to be high in protein which will cause the urinary pH to decrease and predispose Nigel to getting more stones.

Here is an idea for you. You could call your vet's office and ask if one of the technicians would be willing to consult with Hill's about Nigel's issues with k/d. The food company reps usually have a solution for most problems that are food related.

In the meantime you can ask your vet if adding some canned pumpkin to Nigel's food is ok. This will increase the fiber and hopefully help with the constipation.

I hope this helps!

Papilloma Virus. My seven month old puppy developed papilloma virus warts on his lips and then his... (29266 views)

Puppy vomited and became unresponsive. My puppy violet was out on her walk this afternoon and she started dry reaching and... (12072 views)

Did Orbax cause diarrhea? Hi Dr Marie, it's me again regarding Bandit, my 4 yr old DSH. I had e-mailed you... (12447 views)

Handling newborn kittens. Hello, My cat has recently had kittens. I think they are a day old. She had... (12065 views)

Frontline and Sentry? My husband put sentry flea and tick squeeze on our dog 2 days ago,and it didn;t work... (12134 views)

Trouble moving. Firts, I am owner of 3 dogs~ Last Saturday we found a small tick on buddy. He... (14538 views)

Vomiting Dog. I contacted you about Little White Dog on April 24. She had had an exploratory to... (21736 views)

Breed dog on next heat? I am interested in breeding my dog when she comes in to heat. What do I need to... (12426 views)

Excessive drooling Recently my cat, who is a little more than 15 years old, has stared excessively... (8387 views)

Cat straining and in pain. Last night, my cat began meowing as if she was about to vomit but was acting as if... (31961 views)