Hill's k/d for bladder stones

Breed: English Bulldog
Nigel developed kidney stones and had surgery to removed them and re-route the urethra. Vet is insisting on Hill's K/D dry diet. He gained 3.5 pounds in the first 2 weeks alone being on this food. Constipation was addressed and vet said he just "had to get used to it". 2 scoops a day and he's at least 10 pounds over-weight now. How is this dry diet, full of binding/constipating fillers better for my English Bully than a quality moist or raw?

Sorry to hear that Nigel is having issues with his food. This is a tough question to answer without knowing Nigel's entire situation but I can give you some of my thoughts.

It sounds like the kidney stones may have been calcium oxalate stones. If this is the case then we like to feed a food that is meant to keep the pH of the urine from getting too low. This type of diet is low protein, but in order to make up for calories it is higher in fat. This is likely why Nigel is gaining weight.

You may want to ask your vet about the possibility of Nigel going on Royal Canin s/o food. This food is usually good for prevention of most bladder stones.

Raw feeding is a controversial area. Unfortunately I am not a fan. It *can* be done properly, but quite often I have seen dogs with dietary imbalances or bacterial problems as a result of feeding raw. Additionally, raw food diets tend to be high in protein which will cause the urinary pH to decrease and predispose Nigel to getting more stones.

Here is an idea for you. You could call your vet's office and ask if one of the technicians would be willing to consult with Hill's about Nigel's issues with k/d. The food company reps usually have a solution for most problems that are food related.

In the meantime you can ask your vet if adding some canned pumpkin to Nigel's food is ok. This will increase the fiber and hopefully help with the constipation.

I hope this helps!

Vomiting dog Hi Marie, Our dog is a 5 year old Lhasa male (entire).Which we bought to China with... (26787 views)

Parvo? My English Mastiff started vomiting on Friday. By Saturday he had extremely watery... (17619 views)

Did air freshener kill my dog? hi. my dog, simon, a jack russell/poodle, died of kidney failure which was caused... (13091 views)

Is my cat pregnant? we just opened our home to a female stray cat. i estimated her to be a year old or... (11631 views)

Anal sac abscess. my dogs butt is very pouched out and red and leaking pus what can i do for my little... (14974 views)

Puppy with vomiting and diarrhea. i have a 1 month old puppy and she is vomiting, not eating,pooping brown water and... (22791 views)

6 month puppy drinks a lot. I got Bentley at 3 months old. Since the beginning I always felt as if he was... (32472 views)

Bald spot on maltese. I just noticed a bald spot about the size of 2 half dollars on my Maltese right... (25672 views)

Dog in heat. My female min pin seams to be in heat for last week. she has a little blood around... (12051 views)

Kitten died. Hello I work at the humane society. We recently adopted out a 13 week old long... (10216 views)