Tail fell off.

Breed: Border Collie
My dog wrapped her tail up in a chain and the other day it fell off. She continues to lick at it and smells gross. What can I do at home to fix that?

This dog needs to see a vet immediately. If it smells gross then there is likely an infection. If you don't treat an infection in this area it is likely to spread and could actually cause a life threatening meningitis (spinal cord infection.)

The longer you wait, the more tissue damage there is likely to be.

Hopefully the vet can treat her with antibiotics but she may possibly need some surgery.

Please take her in immediately. Letting a dog go without treatment for a problem like this could constitute as animal cruelty.

If you are having financial difficulties one of these resources may help you with financial aid for vet bills.

Cat can't put weight on leg. hi basil got away from me last night down near the woods he returned about 30 mins... (23555 views)

Sick after neuter. On March 26, 2012 I took my two dogs and my friend’s dog to get spayed and... (17889 views)

Are these lymph nodes? I noticed about 2 days ago my 4yr old cat looked like a chipmunk. I felt around her... (11452 views)

Baby teeth didn't fall out. My dog's two canine teeth did not fall and her adult teeth grew in front of them.... (11926 views)

Very sick dog. My dog can't poop and won't eat. He also has puss-like infection coming from his... (11161 views)

Puppy not gaining weight. my puppy is one month old and is not gaining any weight and is not active not eating... (11045 views)

Boxer collapsed. Last saturday our female 1 year old boxer collapsed and her gums went very pale. We... (12799 views)

Dog suddenly paralyzed. My beloved Pug, Newt, passed away last October.She was 12 years old. She developed a... (47190 views)

Flaky skin. Samson has flakey skin that is most obvious on his back toward the tail and under... (19067 views)

Orange urine and trouble walking. my dog is a rottweiler not sure if he is a cross or not and unsure off the age but... (9417 views)