Tail fell off.

Breed: Border Collie
My dog wrapped her tail up in a chain and the other day it fell off. She continues to lick at it and smells gross. What can I do at home to fix that?

This dog needs to see a vet immediately. If it smells gross then there is likely an infection. If you don't treat an infection in this area it is likely to spread and could actually cause a life threatening meningitis (spinal cord infection.)

The longer you wait, the more tissue damage there is likely to be.

Hopefully the vet can treat her with antibiotics but she may possibly need some surgery.

Please take her in immediately. Letting a dog go without treatment for a problem like this could constitute as animal cruelty.

If you are having financial difficulties one of these resources may help you with financial aid for vet bills.

Trouble breathing My 12 year old golden retriever was diagnosed with an enlarged heart and a "5"... (12818 views)

Freckles on a dog's belly. Francois has developed some brown spots on his belly and testicles. He licks in... (25161 views)

Dog not well after fighting. My dog was in a fight with the neighbors dog last night. When I there Captain was... (6620 views)

Superglue for dog's wound. He had a cut on his leg from broken glass fairly deep but not long, nor puncture. I... (25770 views)

Licking foot. In April 2010, I took my 8 year old collie for his yearly shots. About a week later,... (9619 views)

Puppy ate vomit. my dog is crying and has a fever and is very sluggish my wife is pregnant and going... (12091 views)

Kidney disease and seizures. My cat is almost 18 years old and he has kidney disease. He is on a special diet my... (9805 views)

Dog is leaking urine. We have a 4yr old female boxer/german shepherd mix who seems to be "leaking" a lot... (10952 views)

Mildly increased ALP. My dog's routine blood work shows an alkaline phosaphate level of 159. The vet is... (8122 views)

Pill stuck in cat's mouth. Hi Dr. Marie. I took my cat to the Vet on Thursday for 6 month blood work. She is... (8078 views)