Tail fell off.

Breed: Border Collie
My dog wrapped her tail up in a chain and the other day it fell off. She continues to lick at it and smells gross. What can I do at home to fix that?

This dog needs to see a vet immediately. If it smells gross then there is likely an infection. If you don't treat an infection in this area it is likely to spread and could actually cause a life threatening meningitis (spinal cord infection.)

The longer you wait, the more tissue damage there is likely to be.

Hopefully the vet can treat her with antibiotics but she may possibly need some surgery.

Please take her in immediately. Letting a dog go without treatment for a problem like this could constitute as animal cruelty.

If you are having financial difficulties one of these resources may help you with financial aid for vet bills.

Hyperesthesia syndrome? I have a unique situation. Recently I have moved to a new apt 3 hours away from... (5701 views)

Blood pressure for a bird. What is a normal Blood pressure for an AFrican Grey Parrot her wing pressure was... (8681 views)

Shedding calicivirus. Hi can I breed from a cat shedding FCV? She has no symptoms but doen't seem to be... (8084 views)

Pit bull has bald patches. Hi, we have beeen to the vet three different times and he still breaking out and... (5164 views)

Swollen lip My cat gets frequent and sudden swelling on her face (her bottom lip usually but... (14305 views)

Dog has wound under arm. I was wondering how I would go about dressing an area on my dog under her arm? It... (10156 views)

Care of orphaned kittens. I have a ferral outside cat who just had kittens and was attacked...most of thr... (7641 views)

Hill's k/d for bladder stones Nigel developed kidney stones and had surgery to removed them and re-route the... (9343 views)

Dog is limping. Denaro has had a limp in his left front leg for about a month, it goes from a... (15583 views)

Does my dog have mange? Hello Dr. Marie, I have a little 8 month old chihuahua. His name is chico and he has... (8927 views)