Tail fell off.

Breed: Border Collie
My dog wrapped her tail up in a chain and the other day it fell off. She continues to lick at it and smells gross. What can I do at home to fix that?

This dog needs to see a vet immediately. If it smells gross then there is likely an infection. If you don't treat an infection in this area it is likely to spread and could actually cause a life threatening meningitis (spinal cord infection.)

The longer you wait, the more tissue damage there is likely to be.

Hopefully the vet can treat her with antibiotics but she may possibly need some surgery.

Please take her in immediately. Letting a dog go without treatment for a problem like this could constitute as animal cruelty.

If you are having financial difficulties one of these resources may help you with financial aid for vet bills.

Hair loss and black skin. my 15 yr old pomeranian is losing hair in the middle of her back. it just now... (9870 views)

43 days pregnant and not eating. MY DOG IS 43 DAYS PREGNANT, SHE HAS LOW APETITE, DOCTOR PRESCRIBED PETPRO TABS 1... (8516 views)

What does rat poison look like? I live in a town right outside of Boston, MA. We recently got a lot of snow, so they... (19516 views)

Arthritis in elbow. My 10 year old German Shepherd mix has been limping on her front leg. It has... (15755 views)

Cat is hungry and has swollen tummy. Our cat seems to be hungry all the time, she is spayed, but we have just moved... (26765 views)

Older dog - bloody diarrhea. My dog is a 12 1/2 yr old cocker spaniel/golden retriever mix. She's had diarrhea... (38540 views)

Gerbil has rash on nose. My brothers pet gerbial has like a res rash or something aroud is nose and we are... (9090 views)

Not eating or using litter box. about 4 or 5 days ago my cat stopped eating and using the bethroom for about 2 days.... (14593 views)

Should older dog be spayed? Hi, I have a 10 years old chihuahua, she has no obvious health issues other than... (10937 views)

Cat with green patch on skin. first i would like to thank you for your time. When my cat was a kitten i thought... (15587 views)