Tail fell off.

Breed: Border Collie
My dog wrapped her tail up in a chain and the other day it fell off. She continues to lick at it and smells gross. What can I do at home to fix that?

This dog needs to see a vet immediately. If it smells gross then there is likely an infection. If you don't treat an infection in this area it is likely to spread and could actually cause a life threatening meningitis (spinal cord infection.)

The longer you wait, the more tissue damage there is likely to be.

Hopefully the vet can treat her with antibiotics but she may possibly need some surgery.

Please take her in immediately. Letting a dog go without treatment for a problem like this could constitute as animal cruelty.

If you are having financial difficulties one of these resources may help you with financial aid for vet bills.

Guinea pig with mammary tumor. what does a large open lump on a guinea pigs tit mean? the tit has gone!... (12573 views)

Small dog ate large dog Trifexis. I gave my 3 dogs trifexis yesterday. My larger dog take the dose for 40.1 to 60... (22304 views)

Cut my dog while grooming. My mother was trimming Levi's fringe, and accidentally cut skin instead. Needless to... (55227 views)

Can dogs eat carrots? hi i have a rabbit and a dog. the dog is a shoodle cross between shitzu and a... (13607 views)

Fishy smell from dog. My boston terrier puts off a fishy smell. It doesn't happen all the time, but... (31198 views)

Licking at private parts. I have a Indoor Male Maine Coon Cat 3 years 9mnths old, Eats 4 times a day Raw food... (11144 views)

Min Pin won't eat. My 2 year old (obese) miniature pinscher has been displaying very odd behavior.... (11300 views)

Severe arthritis and leaking urine. Hi we have a 13 year old dog with long term hip dysplasia. he has cartrophen once a... (12887 views)

Paralyzed dog. O.K, here is the deal. Our dog Sadie was diagnosed with a ruptured disc (L2) I... (44037 views)

Will mating kill my dog? i have had my dog for 2 weeks an she has just mated with my brothers dog but the... (7428 views)