Tail fell off.

Breed: Border Collie
My dog wrapped her tail up in a chain and the other day it fell off. She continues to lick at it and smells gross. What can I do at home to fix that?

This dog needs to see a vet immediately. If it smells gross then there is likely an infection. If you don't treat an infection in this area it is likely to spread and could actually cause a life threatening meningitis (spinal cord infection.)

The longer you wait, the more tissue damage there is likely to be.

Hopefully the vet can treat her with antibiotics but she may possibly need some surgery.

Please take her in immediately. Letting a dog go without treatment for a problem like this could constitute as animal cruelty.

If you are having financial difficulties one of these resources may help you with financial aid for vet bills.

Lump on my dog. Hello Dr. Marie, I sincerely hope that this is real, and that if it is and you... (34964 views)

Bad breath in dog. My dog is 12 yrs old and has very bad breath. I lost my husband 21/2 yrs ago and I... (17553 views)

Yorkie with diarrhea. Hello, I have a yorkshire terrier that 1 year old and weighs 5.5 pounds. He is a... (11577 views)

Scabs on cat's ears. Our cat has spots on her ears that look like bites or sores. We have had her to the... (8954 views)

Vomiting Dog My dog isn't eating, and when she drinks water, she throws it up. Her stomach seems... (10130 views)

Hip dysplasia in pupp Hi I have a 13 month old German Shepherd male Havoc. He runs great. Jumps great and... (30931 views)

Relapse of parvo? We recently bought a lab pup that turned up with parvo a few days after bringing it... (20456 views)

Roundworms. Cat has roundworms. bought otc piperzine for her. how long should it take to work?... (17553 views)

Red spots under arms and legs. my dog has red spots under her arms and now on her legs what could it be... (13812 views)

Benadryl for thunderstorms? My dog is terified of thunderstoms. Pants, tongue hanging out, eyes huge, and heart... (37635 views)