Dog with masticatory myositis.

Breed: labrador
hi my dog has had masticatory myositis last jan and again in april and now has it again is this normal each time been treated with pain killers and anti biotics each time should this re occur so often. the first time had muscle loss on right hand side of skull but none second time
can you advise if we are treating this with the right drugs
regards jo

I am sorry to hear that Meg is struggling with masticatory myositis.

Many dogs with this condition need to be on lifelong immunosuppressive therapy. Often, if they are not on medication the condition will come back again.

Many dogs are on a steroid called prednisone. Some will be on an immunosuppressive medication called azathioprine as well.

It is a good idea to talk to your vet about whether Meg needs to stay on medication all of the time.

I really hope she does ok.

Stop dog fighting. Hi I have 3 dogs and the one dog is a bit pushy towards the other dogs, she will... (4852 views)

Sick Yorkie Buddy has been acting sick for about a week, being lethargic and unresponsive,... (5655 views)

Meibomian gland adenoma. Tessa has a little black growth on her eyelid. My vet has said it's a tumor and... (14821 views)

Bump on dog's ear. I noticed that the flap of my dog's ear has this pimple like bump on it. you can't... (19878 views)

Can my cat live with pocket pets? Hi I have a pet rat, a guinea pig, a hamster and a cat! The cat is 19 years old, and... (9479 views)

Dry nose in a dog. is it normal that my 10 year old dog haves a very dry nose everytime?... (8089 views)

Best cat foods. One cat is 13 pounds and 7 years old. He is heavy, but it doesn't look or feel like... (5086 views)

Poodle with leg problems. My dog is a small size poodle. she is now 2 years old when she turned 1 she started... (7837 views)

Regurgitating water. Hello, Dr Marie. My cocker spaniel just recently started regurgitating water. He... (11841 views)

Mouth infection in cat. my cat has an infection in his mouth on his bottom lip. i think it is from bitting... (8247 views)