Dog with masticatory myositis.

Breed: labrador
hi my dog has had masticatory myositis last jan and again in april and now has it again is this normal each time been treated with pain killers and anti biotics each time should this re occur so often. the first time had muscle loss on right hand side of skull but none second time
can you advise if we are treating this with the right drugs
regards jo

I am sorry to hear that Meg is struggling with masticatory myositis.

Many dogs with this condition need to be on lifelong immunosuppressive therapy. Often, if they are not on medication the condition will come back again.

Many dogs are on a steroid called prednisone. Some will be on an immunosuppressive medication called azathioprine as well.

It is a good idea to talk to your vet about whether Meg needs to stay on medication all of the time.

I really hope she does ok.

Cat is very thirsty. I have a one year old cat, he eats well no concerns there, but he is consently... (10977 views)

Cat falling over. for the last while my cat is having a hard time walking and is falling over. When he... (20449 views)

Painful dog. I have a small dog, under 20 pounds, that I rescued off the street in Mexico. I'm... (9394 views)

Wart on a cat? Hello. I found a small bump on my cat's throat a few months ago. It has gotten... (30754 views)

10 month puppy with heartworm. I am considering adopting a 10 month old puppy from the SPCA and was told he was... (13267 views)

Fly bites on dog's ears. My dogs are having problems with fly, on their ears what should I do, to help them. ... (10048 views)

Boxer bleeding from mouth. Hello my dog has just started bleeding from his mouth its not alot alot but it is... (69419 views)

Time for euthanasia? I am trying to make the decision on putting my dog down. She no long is herself and... (17629 views)

Cancer in lungs? Josie has had a persistent cough for over a year, so I took her to my vet for a... (6571 views)

Swollen face after tooth removal. Two months ago, Chuck (our elderly dog who's become more and more aggressive when... (26722 views)