Dog with masticatory myositis.

Breed: labrador
hi my dog has had masticatory myositis last jan and again in april and now has it again is this normal each time been treated with pain killers and anti biotics each time should this re occur so often. the first time had muscle loss on right hand side of skull but none second time
can you advise if we are treating this with the right drugs
regards jo

I am sorry to hear that Meg is struggling with masticatory myositis.

Many dogs with this condition need to be on lifelong immunosuppressive therapy. Often, if they are not on medication the condition will come back again.

Many dogs are on a steroid called prednisone. Some will be on an immunosuppressive medication called azathioprine as well.

It is a good idea to talk to your vet about whether Meg needs to stay on medication all of the time.

I really hope she does ok.

Helicobacter in ferrets. HI! I read your response regarding the ferret who was not eating, vomiting, lying in... (14569 views)

Something in throat? Husband won't let me take cat to vet..childrens pet. Cat stopped eating a few days... (31735 views)

Breeding big and little dog. i have a year and a half old female jack russell/rat terrier cross that is in heat... (8204 views)

Bumps around anus. Itchiness and swollen bumps "cauliflower" looking around her vagina and anus. She... (53627 views)

Homemade chicken jerky treats for dogs. Hi Dr. Marie, If you do choose to answer my questions, I thank you so much in... (5057 views)

Third eyelids in cats. my cat having an eye problem...her eye close half by some kind of white thing...i... (57102 views)

Light sensitivity in older cat. Jack, 12 years old, was diagnosed with CKD 6months ago and is having Hills... (10067 views)

Cat has an itchy head. Hello, my cat's head is very itchy. She has been wearing a e-collar for a year... (9603 views)

Should liver biopsy be done? Dear Dr Haines, I have a 10 year old Bichon-Poodle-Maltese mix male dog (Max). ... (6289 views)

Swollen foot and death in a dog. I am seeking for an answer what could be the reason my dog can hardly breathe and... (18063 views)