Dog with masticatory myositis.

Breed: labrador
hi my dog has had masticatory myositis last jan and again in april and now has it again is this normal each time been treated with pain killers and anti biotics each time should this re occur so often. the first time had muscle loss on right hand side of skull but none second time
can you advise if we are treating this with the right drugs
regards jo

I am sorry to hear that Meg is struggling with masticatory myositis.

Many dogs with this condition need to be on lifelong immunosuppressive therapy. Often, if they are not on medication the condition will come back again.

Many dogs are on a steroid called prednisone. Some will be on an immunosuppressive medication called azathioprine as well.

It is a good idea to talk to your vet about whether Meg needs to stay on medication all of the time.

I really hope she does ok.

Where is dog's vulva? My husband resqued a blue tick in the National Forest that was being chased by 2... (62140 views)

What is a CG8 blood test? Hi, my vet wants to do blood tests to see how Frankie is doing, he seems to have... (10281 views)

Sudden death in a dog after swimming. My dog was swimming in the lake for 1-2 mins, she came out, then ran around suddenly... (14721 views)

German Shepherd not eating. I have a 13 year old female german shepherd. She is currently taking Proin and... (16747 views)

Blood blisters on a cat My cat has developed what appear to be blood blisters, one just below her nose and... (20229 views)

Brown spots on belly. Hello, I have a five year old Pomeranian mix (25lbs). Within the last few weeks I... (24285 views)

Bone cancer in leg. Hello My cat is 13 years old he was always a big cat and then became a big fat cat.... (19725 views)

Itchy red welts on belly. Hi. I have a 4 month old 25lb American Pit Bull puppy name Vino. For the last past... (25027 views)

Swollen lip My cat gets frequent and sudden swelling on her face (her bottom lip usually but... (16715 views)

Anxious cat - medicine? Hello, My Cat Guen shows MANY attention seeking behaviors. She chews chords,... (22984 views)