Dog with masticatory myositis.

Breed: labrador
hi my dog has had masticatory myositis last jan and again in april and now has it again is this normal each time been treated with pain killers and anti biotics each time should this re occur so often. the first time had muscle loss on right hand side of skull but none second time
can you advise if we are treating this with the right drugs
regards jo

I am sorry to hear that Meg is struggling with masticatory myositis.

Many dogs with this condition need to be on lifelong immunosuppressive therapy. Often, if they are not on medication the condition will come back again.

Many dogs are on a steroid called prednisone. Some will be on an immunosuppressive medication called azathioprine as well.

It is a good idea to talk to your vet about whether Meg needs to stay on medication all of the time.

I really hope she does ok.

Laser pointers for cats and dogs? Will playing with a laser pointer hurt a dog or... (14623 views)

Spot in cat's eye. About a year ago our cat was looked at by a vet. He got all his shots and was... (27092 views)

Should we put down out cat? Good evening. My 15 year old tabby seems to be in rough shape. He is still... (7889 views)

Will removing an eye affect my dog? Sadly, our son's dog recently had a car accident and my lose one eye. He is still in... (10110 views)

Dog leaps to her feet. Why does my 12 year old lame Siberian Husky suddenly leap to her feet and walk off.... (10185 views)

Is this dog cryptorchid? Jupiter is 71/2 months old. At 8 weeks vet noted both testicles desended. At 5... (26298 views)

Blood in urine. I can not afford to take her to a vet...so here I am. I have just noticed while... (11883 views)

Dog with bad breath. im from philippines, i really sleep at bed every night with my dog.the problem is, i... (13154 views)

Tums for calcium? Missy is pregnant with her second litter. She developed a calcium deficiency and... (22827 views)

No bowel movement after dentistry. Dear Dr Marie, Thank you for creating this website. I have a 12 year old male... (14032 views)