Swelling near dogs penis

Breed: Chihuahua
My dog is currently at the Vet, but the vet doesn't seem to understand the symptom I was describing to him so we're leaving my dog with him for the day.

The first sign is: my dog tried to get off my lap to isolate himself while moving around in his bed to find a comfortable position but kept moving in a distressful manner.

When I lifted him up to see his belly, it was super swollen. The size of the swell is about a tennis ball and is right above his private. And his around his private area, the skin was sucked in to mold the area so there was no mean around between his legs. Above his private area, a ball of purple swell is there.

After a few minutes, the swell disappeared and his stomach look back to normal. The purple was gone also.

I also notice that he was shaking very badly and less energetic than normal.

Hes currently at the clinic, being watched to see if the swell will occur again. But I only saw it happen twice in a little over 24 hrs.

I'm wondering if what you are describing is your dog's bulbourethral glands. These are glands on either side of the penis that swell up when a dog has an erection. This can happen even if a dog is neutered.

I had trouble finding a picture of bulbourethral glands online. Sheesh...it's not safe to look for pictures like that online! But, if it helps, I'll see if I can show you what they look like:

bulbourethral glands

The only other thing I could think of would be a hernia such as an inguinal hernia. If an inguinal hernia is purple in color then this can be a serious sign of problems. If it recurs you may want to ask your vet if it could be an inguinal hernia.

Contagious diarrhea? please bare with me as this is gonna be kind of long... about 2 weeks ago i had... (8243 views)

Dog won't eat. HELP! Starting I think Thursday or Friday Max ate but was easily distracted. I'd... (30481 views)

Coughing puppy. My 3 month old puppy is trying to hack/cough up as if she has something stuck in... (12615 views)

Puppy died. My 7week old puppy died yesterday. She laid around all weekend and was not very... (11149 views)

Multiple lumps on dog. hi, i have found a hard lump under the skin of my dog, it's by his ribs it does... (11312 views)

Did cat die from eating fertilizer? Hello, a couple of days ago I found one of my cats dead in the garden. Although he... (11972 views)

Bald spots on cat's legs. I moved from Los Angeles to St.Louis with my cat. For a few months now I've noticed... (20416 views)

Dog's face is swollen. my dog's face is swollen, her muzzle is swollen on both sides and very firm/hard... (131386 views)

PPA safety for dogs. Hi, Dr. Marie: I am writing a follow-up question from a few weeks ago regarding... (15276 views)

GNRH implant I am asking about the GnRH implant to bring a dog into heat. MY FIRST MAIN... (14564 views)