Swelling near dogs penis

Breed: Chihuahua
My dog is currently at the Vet, but the vet doesn't seem to understand the symptom I was describing to him so we're leaving my dog with him for the day.

The first sign is: my dog tried to get off my lap to isolate himself while moving around in his bed to find a comfortable position but kept moving in a distressful manner.

When I lifted him up to see his belly, it was super swollen. The size of the swell is about a tennis ball and is right above his private. And his around his private area, the skin was sucked in to mold the area so there was no mean around between his legs. Above his private area, a ball of purple swell is there.

After a few minutes, the swell disappeared and his stomach look back to normal. The purple was gone also.

I also notice that he was shaking very badly and less energetic than normal.

Hes currently at the clinic, being watched to see if the swell will occur again. But I only saw it happen twice in a little over 24 hrs.

I'm wondering if what you are describing is your dog's bulbourethral glands. These are glands on either side of the penis that swell up when a dog has an erection. This can happen even if a dog is neutered.

I had trouble finding a picture of bulbourethral glands online. Sheesh...it's not safe to look for pictures like that online! But, if it helps, I'll see if I can show you what they look like:

bulbourethral glands

The only other thing I could think of would be a hernia such as an inguinal hernia. If an inguinal hernia is purple in color then this can be a serious sign of problems. If it recurs you may want to ask your vet if it could be an inguinal hernia.

Tumor grew back. Hello, Our cat Chester had a tumor removed, sarcoma, about the size of a large golf... (5168 views)

Can dogs take human antibiotics? Can dogs take human antibiotics or triple creams for... (14311 views)

Trouble with back legs. I have a 11 yr old, inside only cat, that is a little over weight approx. 15lbs.... (35448 views)

Cat with crusty areas. Hello, I'd like some advice on diagnosis and treatment for my cat. She has had... (12556 views)

Cat not doing well. Hi Dr. Marie, First I want to say I love your page on Facebook and I am a big Fan... (8084 views)

Vomiting undigested food. I read in a magazine Woman's World about your service to give pet medical advice. My... (18772 views)

Problems with Rimadyl? she seems to have paralysis of her front left paw. she can not stand on her own and... (22000 views)

Inverted vulva and puppy vaginitis. I have purchased a Golden Retriever to be used as a new dog for breeding. She is... (42273 views)

Heart medication questions. My dog’s name is Yoda. He is 16 years old. But for his heart, he is in good... (4900 views)

Ear cartilage broken. someone has broke the cartridge in my dogs ear by rubbing them hard. what can i do... (21554 views)