Swelling near dogs penis

Breed: Chihuahua
My dog is currently at the Vet, but the vet doesn't seem to understand the symptom I was describing to him so we're leaving my dog with him for the day.

The first sign is: my dog tried to get off my lap to isolate himself while moving around in his bed to find a comfortable position but kept moving in a distressful manner.

When I lifted him up to see his belly, it was super swollen. The size of the swell is about a tennis ball and is right above his private. And his around his private area, the skin was sucked in to mold the area so there was no mean around between his legs. Above his private area, a ball of purple swell is there.

After a few minutes, the swell disappeared and his stomach look back to normal. The purple was gone also.

I also notice that he was shaking very badly and less energetic than normal.

Hes currently at the clinic, being watched to see if the swell will occur again. But I only saw it happen twice in a little over 24 hrs.

I'm wondering if what you are describing is your dog's bulbourethral glands. These are glands on either side of the penis that swell up when a dog has an erection. This can happen even if a dog is neutered.

I had trouble finding a picture of bulbourethral glands online. Sheesh...it's not safe to look for pictures like that online! But, if it helps, I'll see if I can show you what they look like:

bulbourethral glands

The only other thing I could think of would be a hernia such as an inguinal hernia. If an inguinal hernia is purple in color then this can be a serious sign of problems. If it recurs you may want to ask your vet if it could be an inguinal hernia.

Vomiting all food. My mom's adopted shelter cat, Luci, has a strange problem. It used to be nearly... (6958 views)

Pig ears and diarrhea. Hi, My dog gets occasional diarrhea, like twice a week maybe, I had to take her... (14130 views)

Meowing all the time? pain? Hi Dr. Marie Our cat has a virus infection and is on medication, and an eye drops.... (7577 views)

Vet lost the lump! My cat had surgery last Thursday to have a cyst on his toe removed to see if it was... (10319 views)

Diarrhea question. My 10 year old malamute just got up off the living room floor, leaving behind a... (8505 views)

Cat is dying. I took in a stray that was living in a garage since his was little for years and was... (10510 views)

Skin lesion on gerbil. can you recommend a treatment for what appears to be a hot spot or skin irritation... (7211 views)

White bumps on anus. Hi Dr. Marie, I know you are quite busy with all your other questions and I am... (19937 views)

Chin acne in cats. He's been on a cleansing agent and anti-biotic/steroid for 5 of 7 days for his acne... (7202 views)

Ovariectomy vs. Ovariohysterectomy. My beautiful little girl had a lump near one of her lower nipples last week. After... (7386 views)