Swelling near dogs penis

Breed: Chihuahua
My dog is currently at the Vet, but the vet doesn't seem to understand the symptom I was describing to him so we're leaving my dog with him for the day.

The first sign is: my dog tried to get off my lap to isolate himself while moving around in his bed to find a comfortable position but kept moving in a distressful manner.

When I lifted him up to see his belly, it was super swollen. The size of the swell is about a tennis ball and is right above his private. And his around his private area, the skin was sucked in to mold the area so there was no mean around between his legs. Above his private area, a ball of purple swell is there.

After a few minutes, the swell disappeared and his stomach look back to normal. The purple was gone also.

I also notice that he was shaking very badly and less energetic than normal.

Hes currently at the clinic, being watched to see if the swell will occur again. But I only saw it happen twice in a little over 24 hrs.

I'm wondering if what you are describing is your dog's bulbourethral glands. These are glands on either side of the penis that swell up when a dog has an erection. This can happen even if a dog is neutered.

I had trouble finding a picture of bulbourethral glands online. Sheesh...it's not safe to look for pictures like that online! But, if it helps, I'll see if I can show you what they look like:

bulbourethral glands

The only other thing I could think of would be a hernia such as an inguinal hernia. If an inguinal hernia is purple in color then this can be a serious sign of problems. If it recurs you may want to ask your vet if it could be an inguinal hernia.

Dog cowers and pees. my dog seems afraid of me when i call her over she cowers and pees when she walks... (12542 views)

Drinking and urinating more. Approx. 6 yrs old or older, part Rodesian Ridgeback, 69 pounds. He was a stray and... (4137 views)

Limping on rear leg. Hello Dr. Marie! Buddy came to us about six months ago a stray. Though it was... (21342 views)

Mange treatment. Dr. Marie: My dog has demodectic mange. We give her Promeris, but it makes her... (15163 views)

Lab has a lump on his muzzle. We took our 2 1/2 year old female lab to Bradshaw Vet for a lump on her muzzle. I... (11365 views)

Strange behavior in cat. Hello. My cat got hit by a car four months ago and had to have his tail... (10402 views)

White tongue in a kitten. Kitten 6weeks old looks like a 4 week old. Sootie has a white tongue? Is it... (15864 views)

Dog urinating in the house. I really need help, i have a dog that is now one and a half years old, hes a cross... (8989 views)

Licking feet. My cat has suddenly been licking her back paws consistently and thumping them... (7722 views)

Cat bitten by dog. My cat recently got bit by a dog. he has a huge hole on his left leg kind of toward... (5948 views)