Inbreeding dogs.

Breed: yorkie terrier
is it true that if a female dog and her son have a relationship will the puppies come out more pure or will it be a problem?

It is really not a good idea to breed a mother and son dog. The reason for this is because of possible genetic defects. Let's say mom is carrying some defective genes. If we breed her to an unrelated dog, then the chances of these genes being expressed are smaller. But, if mom has these genes, then there is a high possibility that the son has them as well. When you breed the two of them together then the chances of those defective genes being expressed is double.

So, breeding a dog with her son gives you a much higher chance of producing puppies with birth defects.

Swollen hip in Golden. We inherited him from my father-in-law 2 years ago, he was very much over weight so... (5736 views)

Dog bite wound. Hello, My dog got bit by a Pit bull on Saturday 9/1. I was not able to take him to... (13362 views)

Allergic to greenies? My 11.5 year old pug/griffin mix dog has been having nasal/breathing issues for the... (10183 views)

Antibiotics for anal glands? Hi I have written before about our unique living situation. We are expats with... (8653 views)

Allergic reaction to vaccines. He just got all his shots this morning and has been vomiting since and his face is... (13187 views)

Lump near spay incision. Dog has sore on paw looks like a circle and it's very tender to touch. It has... (30714 views)

Kitten not pooping. Hi Dr. Marie. I recently just brought a young kitten home and he is probably 4... (11636 views)

bloat in boerboels Hello. I'm currently looking at information about the boerboel. I'm thinking about... (11183 views)

Dog can't move tail. My dog's tail is bent at the base and it is almost as if she can't move it. It seems... (12355 views)

Vomiting due to virus? Hello Dr.Marie. Okay so my 14 year old cat smokey has been going threw some... (18094 views)