Inbreeding dogs.

Breed: yorkie terrier
is it true that if a female dog and her son have a relationship will the puppies come out more pure or will it be a problem?

It is really not a good idea to breed a mother and son dog. The reason for this is because of possible genetic defects. Let's say mom is carrying some defective genes. If we breed her to an unrelated dog, then the chances of these genes being expressed are smaller. But, if mom has these genes, then there is a high possibility that the son has them as well. When you breed the two of them together then the chances of those defective genes being expressed is double.

So, breeding a dog with her son gives you a much higher chance of producing puppies with birth defects.

Vomiting kitten. My 4 week kitten was abandoned by his mom when he was a few days old. He is very... (7538 views)

Not sure if first shots done. I just bought a 7 week old pomeranian from a local family. They told me he has had... (39847 views)

Puppy ate Imodium We think our 11-week-old puppy ate an Imodium. He weighs 6.5 pounds. Do we need to... (29640 views)

Vomiting and diarrhea. Dear Dr. Marie, I adopted a shelter dog from the southern US last September. He is... (11900 views)

Puppy stepped on. my 7 wk old pure staffie has just been accidently stood on by one foot of my 14-15... (50107 views)

Cloudy eye with blood. My dog has what seemed to be pink eye but the blood has seeped into the iris. There... (13360 views)

Breeding and vaccines. I wanted to breed my female pitbull, but I have not yet given her the annual... (19097 views)

Strange cat behavior. I've looked a bit online and have not quite found everything my cat is doing. I have... (74638 views)

Did Orbax cause diarrhea? Hi Dr Marie, it's me again regarding Bandit, my 4 yr old DSH. I had e-mailed you... (11463 views)

Did laundry soap cause seizures? two week ago my dog was covered in Laundry Detergent. My had it everywhere, even... (11876 views)