Hair loss and black skin.

Breed: pomeranain
my 15 yr old pomeranian is losing hair in the middle of her back. it just now started getting worse. its getting darker where the hair is loss but there is still hair present.what could be the cause and how should we treat and prevent it from happening again

It's always hard to answer skin questions without actually seeing an animal but I will do my best to see if I can help.

If the hair loss is extending from the middle of her back down to her tail then by far the most common reason for this is an allergy to fleas. Some animals are so allergic to fleas that even one flea bite can set them off. If she is not on a prescription strength flea product such as Advantage, Revolution or Frontline then I would recommend doing this.

There are also some diseases called endocrine diseases that can cause hair loss and darker skin. One common one is hypothyroidism. Another is Cushing's disease. Both of these are treatable conditions.

Sometimes skin can turn dark if there has been an infection (either bacterial or yeast) present for a long time. If there is an infection you should notice either some odor, or some greasiness to the skin or possibly some crusts or pustules.

It sounds like a vet visit is a good idea!

Vita Calm in dogs? i was wondering if i could safly use vitacalm for hosres on my dog for his... (7455 views)

Magnesium level of food. I have two cats. Casper has urinary tract issues. He is currently on a .085%... (11824 views)

Cat losing hair. I have 4 cats and they are all indoors. I realize that cats can get fleas even when... (67253 views)

Kitten has a cold and is congested. the kitten was found in the backyard, cold and all alone. He has what appears to be... (10777 views)

Sensitive at tail base. My cat is 7 years old. She is the only suvivor of her litteer. All of the kittens... (112657 views)

Puppy Strangles. litter of 12 puppies were born on April 13th and now 4 are showing signs of lumps... (7033 views)

Dachshund not feeling well. Dr, We have a new baby girl and Primo has slept in our bed since he was a puppy,... (7840 views)

Itchy lump on eyelid. I have a 2 year old Shepherd mix, and he has developed a pink mole/growth on his... (6521 views)

Black skin patches on dog. My dog started developing patches on his side a few months ago. His hair is falling... (14586 views)

Shaking after grooming. Millie is an otherwise healthy 8 year old Bijon Poo. Don't know if this is related,... (35172 views)