Hair loss and black skin.

Breed: pomeranain
my 15 yr old pomeranian is losing hair in the middle of her back. it just now started getting worse. its getting darker where the hair is loss but there is still hair present.what could be the cause and how should we treat and prevent it from happening again

It's always hard to answer skin questions without actually seeing an animal but I will do my best to see if I can help.

If the hair loss is extending from the middle of her back down to her tail then by far the most common reason for this is an allergy to fleas. Some animals are so allergic to fleas that even one flea bite can set them off. If she is not on a prescription strength flea product such as Advantage, Revolution or Frontline then I would recommend doing this.

There are also some diseases called endocrine diseases that can cause hair loss and darker skin. One common one is hypothyroidism. Another is Cushing's disease. Both of these are treatable conditions.

Sometimes skin can turn dark if there has been an infection (either bacterial or yeast) present for a long time. If there is an infection you should notice either some odor, or some greasiness to the skin or possibly some crusts or pustules.

It sounds like a vet visit is a good idea!

Aggressive dog torn nail Lincoln split his nail 2 weeks ago. I put Neosporin on it and wrapped it with a... (9667 views)

How long is parvo contagious? i recently got a puppy and after 3 days i found out he had parvo and had to be put... (20379 views)

Hamster with cushing's disease hi a am mina. i have 10 hamester. Unfortunately "blaki" (my Hamster) Maybe have... (8898 views)

Lump on kitten's chest. Hi I have a kitten and he has developped a very hard lump on his chest, its on... (22472 views)

Rat lost his brother. My rat has lost his brother will he be ok i am not getting another... (11051 views)

Ketoconazole for dogs. How safe is it to give my dog ketoconazole 200 mg tab fur a fungal infection? The... (25952 views)

Spay 10 year old dog? Hello: I adopted a Belgian tervuren 10 months ago. She was already 10 years... (14248 views)

Small dog ate large dog Trifexis. I gave my 3 dogs trifexis yesterday. My larger dog take the dose for 40.1 to 60... (21414 views)

Anal gland problems. Hello. I am a veterinary assistant and I am having an issue with my Cane Corso's... (7136 views)

Vomiting and diarrhea. My dog has eaten very little the last week and has thrown up almost every time. He... (9740 views)