Hair loss and black skin.

Breed: pomeranain
my 15 yr old pomeranian is losing hair in the middle of her back. it just now started getting worse. its getting darker where the hair is loss but there is still hair present.what could be the cause and how should we treat and prevent it from happening again

It's always hard to answer skin questions without actually seeing an animal but I will do my best to see if I can help.

If the hair loss is extending from the middle of her back down to her tail then by far the most common reason for this is an allergy to fleas. Some animals are so allergic to fleas that even one flea bite can set them off. If she is not on a prescription strength flea product such as Advantage, Revolution or Frontline then I would recommend doing this.

There are also some diseases called endocrine diseases that can cause hair loss and darker skin. One common one is hypothyroidism. Another is Cushing's disease. Both of these are treatable conditions.

Sometimes skin can turn dark if there has been an infection (either bacterial or yeast) present for a long time. If there is an infection you should notice either some odor, or some greasiness to the skin or possibly some crusts or pustules.

It sounds like a vet visit is a good idea!

My dog is pooping blood. What does it mean when a dog poops blood? I woke up this morning and there was... (688998 views)

Vulva dermatitis. Good Morning Doctor: My 6 year old Golden(Honey) has an infection around her female... (27920 views)

Blood at end of urine stream. My female dog has had blood in her urine for 2 months. I live in Belize, Central... (18605 views)

Cat falling over. for the last while my cat is having a hard time walking and is falling over. When he... (21146 views)

bloat in boerboels Hello. I'm currently looking at information about the boerboel. I'm thinking about... (11805 views)

Not nursing, diarrhea. We have two mom cats with seven kittens each, one litter a week and a half older... (6147 views)

Died after bloat surgery. My dog became sick early Friday morning (2am) and vomited 3 times between 2am and... (20947 views)

Megacolon. my cat has megacolon.we give him lactulose 1 1/2 oz 2 times a day & cisapride 1 ml 2... (11156 views)

Recessed vulva I have a customer that claims the dog she bought from me has perivulvar pyoderma. ... (29904 views)

Cat behavior problem. We got a 13 year old girl recently (just months ago, not even a year). And we have a... (11440 views)