Hair loss and black skin.

Breed: pomeranain
my 15 yr old pomeranian is losing hair in the middle of her back. it just now started getting worse. its getting darker where the hair is loss but there is still hair present.what could be the cause and how should we treat and prevent it from happening again

It's always hard to answer skin questions without actually seeing an animal but I will do my best to see if I can help.

If the hair loss is extending from the middle of her back down to her tail then by far the most common reason for this is an allergy to fleas. Some animals are so allergic to fleas that even one flea bite can set them off. If she is not on a prescription strength flea product such as Advantage, Revolution or Frontline then I would recommend doing this.

There are also some diseases called endocrine diseases that can cause hair loss and darker skin. One common one is hypothyroidism. Another is Cushing's disease. Both of these are treatable conditions.

Sometimes skin can turn dark if there has been an infection (either bacterial or yeast) present for a long time. If there is an infection you should notice either some odor, or some greasiness to the skin or possibly some crusts or pustules.

It sounds like a vet visit is a good idea!

Feline leukemia questions. Hi-Recently we discovered that a stray cat had kittens in our garage. Only 2 in the... (9646 views)

Iverheart Plus and Max. i have been giving my dog Heartgard Plus for heartworm prevention; i recently... (26416 views)

Summer shaving? Is it ok to shave my dogs coat in the summer? will that help to make him... (8888 views)

Hair loss at base of tail. My cat has been pulling her fur out near the base of her tail,leaving swollen bald... (13616 views)

Constipated cat. For the past 2 weeks or so, my cat has been having some constipation. I think it... (16915 views)

Cracked Toe Nail. My dog cracked his nail horizontally at the base of the nail. Is there something I... (9775 views)

Dog licking paws On Wednesday I noticed Max was licking his right rear paw. Last Saturday he had a... (62569 views)

Torn nail in cat. My cat snagged her nail on string and the string got stuck in the quick and cut it a... (11571 views)

Did I do the right thing? Hello Dr. Marie, I am grieving today as I had my 12 year old cat put down yesterday... (9686 views)

Lump on jaw. OK...my cat has a lump on her neck/jaw. One vet has told me it was an... (25722 views)