Hair loss and black skin.

Breed: pomeranain
my 15 yr old pomeranian is losing hair in the middle of her back. it just now started getting worse. its getting darker where the hair is loss but there is still hair present.what could be the cause and how should we treat and prevent it from happening again

It's always hard to answer skin questions without actually seeing an animal but I will do my best to see if I can help.

If the hair loss is extending from the middle of her back down to her tail then by far the most common reason for this is an allergy to fleas. Some animals are so allergic to fleas that even one flea bite can set them off. If she is not on a prescription strength flea product such as Advantage, Revolution or Frontline then I would recommend doing this.

There are also some diseases called endocrine diseases that can cause hair loss and darker skin. One common one is hypothyroidism. Another is Cushing's disease. Both of these are treatable conditions.

Sometimes skin can turn dark if there has been an infection (either bacterial or yeast) present for a long time. If there is an infection you should notice either some odor, or some greasiness to the skin or possibly some crusts or pustules.

It sounds like a vet visit is a good idea!

Does dog saliva heal a wound? Is there any truth to the old wive's tale that when your dog instinctlively licks a... (8043 views)

Need exam with steroid shot? Is it by the state of law that your cat needs to be examined when you know the cat... (4951 views)

Chicken jerky from Thailand. We hear about the chicken jerkey from China, how about the jerkey from Thiland. Do... (6824 views)

Dog hurt her leg. hi my dog trixey is nearly 15.i think she may have hurt her leg because she can't... (6670 views)

Swelling above dog's eye. This morning I noticed redness and swelling of my dog's upper eyelid. I gave him one... (32528 views)

Swollen foot after wound. My dog Toby has what appears to be a cut in between his toes on one of his paws. He... (5231 views)

Possible distemper or kennel cough. I adopted Bub from the SPCA on August 13 and he was taken to the Vet on Aug 17 for... (9102 views)

Pimples around a dog's anus. Hi. My name is Anna and I have a 7 month old, predominantly Rhodesian Ridgeback,... (116449 views)

Dog suddenly paralyzed. My beloved Pug, Newt, passed away last October.She was 12 years old. She developed a... (44877 views)

Remend (The dog is not mine) A friend is asking me to get Remend for their dog from a... (23879 views)