Vomiting and diarrhea.

Breed: Domestic Mix
I have a 4mo old kitten who has had diarrhea 2 days and threw up last night. No change in her food but she wasn't that interested in eating this morning (although I hear her nibbling at the dry food now). Any advice?

Just a little background; she was rescued at 6 weeks from a feral colony (after she was no longer nursing) and kept in a foster home until ready to be placed. She has been spayed and had her shots (4 weeks ago). I have had her for two weeks and except for the tummy trouble, she is the sweetest, gentlest, cuddliest cat you could ask for. Dry food has been kitten chow and wet has been fancy feast. At first she didn't drink much but that has improved as she became more comfortable with her new surroundings.

Thank you,
Colleen

I don't like it when a young animal has vomiting and diarrhea. Kittens don't have a lot of reserves to fight dehydration and they can get sick very quickly.

There are a number of things that can cause these symptoms, but often we don't know why kittens have vomiting and diarrhea. Generally, I tell people that if a kitten has these symptoms and they are not improving within 24 hours then they should see the vet.

The most important thing to keep an eye on is her appetite. If she doesn't want to eat then this is a sign that she is really unwell.

If she hasn't had any dewormer, this may be a good thing to ask the vet about.

The other main concern when a young kitten is vomiting is if she has eaten something that is causing a partial obstruction. If this happens it is very serious! If she continues to vomit then the vet may want to take an xray to see if there is evidence of an obstruction.

Viruses are possible as well...however if she's vaccinated then these are less likely.

There are some things that can just cause a 1-2 day bout of diarrhea and vomiting so if she seems like she is improving then this could be it.

Unfortunately there is not much home care that you can do to help. I don't recommend changing the diet because cats are not like dogs where you can just feed them chicken and rice. I would stick to the food she has been used to. (Incidentally, kitten chow and fancy feast are not really great quality cat foods. They're not likely causing the intestinal issues but once she is cleared up I might consider a change to something like Iams, Science Diet or Royal Canin).

I wish I could give you more advice, but either this is something that will get better today or, if not, needs veterinary attention.

Thank you, I am definitely keeping an eye on her (fortunately I work from home).

I agree with the food brands too - this is what she was being fed in the foster home and I was afraid to switch her to something else before she got used to the new surroundings - she hid for the first 2 days and refused all food and drink.

Colleen

Ovariectomy vs. Ovariohysterectomy. My beautiful little girl had a lump near one of her lower nipples last week. After... (7194 views)

Will dog with broken back recover? Hi Dr. Marie, Our dog pulled out of her collar and was hit by a vehicle Saturday... (40120 views)

Tums for calcium? Missy is pregnant with her second litter. She developed a calcium deficiency and... (18207 views)

Can I feed raw veggies? Is it alright to feed our dog fresh, raw pieces of vegetables-like celery, green... (8339 views)

Sore anus after using chlorox wipe. I put a Clorox Disenfecting Wipes on my dog's anus. It's been a couple of days and... (12511 views)

Puppy vomiting with blood. my puppy was born on december 18, she was born a normal pup but now she and her... (8341 views)

Swollen throat. over night my dogs thropat and cheeks have swallon really bad (looks like a hamster... (22774 views)

Large liver and spleen. Male cat 10 yo & neutered has enlarged pancreas and spleen, slightly enlarged liver.... (21459 views)

Peach stone or pancreatitis? My dog ate a peach stone. It appeared to give no problems, but two to three weeks... (6569 views)

lump on ear In the last couple weeks a bump on the tip of my dogs ear has shown up. We have been... (9192 views)