Vomiting and diarrhea.

Breed: Domestic Mix
I have a 4mo old kitten who has had diarrhea 2 days and threw up last night. No change in her food but she wasn't that interested in eating this morning (although I hear her nibbling at the dry food now). Any advice?

Just a little background; she was rescued at 6 weeks from a feral colony (after she was no longer nursing) and kept in a foster home until ready to be placed. She has been spayed and had her shots (4 weeks ago). I have had her for two weeks and except for the tummy trouble, she is the sweetest, gentlest, cuddliest cat you could ask for. Dry food has been kitten chow and wet has been fancy feast. At first she didn't drink much but that has improved as she became more comfortable with her new surroundings.

Thank you,
Colleen

I don't like it when a young animal has vomiting and diarrhea. Kittens don't have a lot of reserves to fight dehydration and they can get sick very quickly.

There are a number of things that can cause these symptoms, but often we don't know why kittens have vomiting and diarrhea. Generally, I tell people that if a kitten has these symptoms and they are not improving within 24 hours then they should see the vet.

The most important thing to keep an eye on is her appetite. If she doesn't want to eat then this is a sign that she is really unwell.

If she hasn't had any dewormer, this may be a good thing to ask the vet about.

The other main concern when a young kitten is vomiting is if she has eaten something that is causing a partial obstruction. If this happens it is very serious! If she continues to vomit then the vet may want to take an xray to see if there is evidence of an obstruction.

Viruses are possible as well...however if she's vaccinated then these are less likely.

There are some things that can just cause a 1-2 day bout of diarrhea and vomiting so if she seems like she is improving then this could be it.

Unfortunately there is not much home care that you can do to help. I don't recommend changing the diet because cats are not like dogs where you can just feed them chicken and rice. I would stick to the food she has been used to. (Incidentally, kitten chow and fancy feast are not really great quality cat foods. They're not likely causing the intestinal issues but once she is cleared up I might consider a change to something like Iams, Science Diet or Royal Canin).

I wish I could give you more advice, but either this is something that will get better today or, if not, needs veterinary attention.

Thank you, I am definitely keeping an eye on her (fortunately I work from home).

I agree with the food brands too - this is what she was being fed in the foster home and I was afraid to switch her to something else before she got used to the new surroundings - she hid for the first 2 days and refused all food and drink.

Colleen

Loose black stools. Sid is older, lately his stools ate loose and turn black? He can tell time and... (4667 views)

Dog bleeding from anus. My dog is slightly bleeding from her anus, but it isn't noticeable until she sits... (29951 views)

Grade 4 heart murmur. Today I had went to a new vet with my 8 year old Cocker Spaniel, and while the vet... (10853 views)

Dog shaking head. My dog is thought to have ear mites (I thought this only happened to outside dogs??)... (13794 views)

Are these lymph nodes? I noticed about 2 days ago my 4yr old cat looked like a chipmunk. I felt around her... (9963 views)

Clindamycin overdose? I have been caring for Sox, a feral. Awhile back Sox started coughing on and off... (7625 views)

Cat won't eat or drink. Licorice doesn't want to eat much or drink. He is lethargic, but his gums are pink... (21421 views)

Submissive urination. Hey Dr.Marie my dog Mya is 1 year and a half but everytime someone picks her up she... (9761 views)

Ivermectin toxicity in a cat. My kitten and I live in Democractic Republic of Congo. Today, a vet administered an... (12286 views)

Pea sized lump. Hi Dr. This morning I noticed a pea-sized lump on one of Max's ribs on the left... (57146 views)