Vomiting and diarrhea.

Breed: Domestic Mix
I have a 4mo old kitten who has had diarrhea 2 days and threw up last night. No change in her food but she wasn't that interested in eating this morning (although I hear her nibbling at the dry food now). Any advice?

Just a little background; she was rescued at 6 weeks from a feral colony (after she was no longer nursing) and kept in a foster home until ready to be placed. She has been spayed and had her shots (4 weeks ago). I have had her for two weeks and except for the tummy trouble, she is the sweetest, gentlest, cuddliest cat you could ask for. Dry food has been kitten chow and wet has been fancy feast. At first she didn't drink much but that has improved as she became more comfortable with her new surroundings.

Thank you,
Colleen

I don't like it when a young animal has vomiting and diarrhea. Kittens don't have a lot of reserves to fight dehydration and they can get sick very quickly.

There are a number of things that can cause these symptoms, but often we don't know why kittens have vomiting and diarrhea. Generally, I tell people that if a kitten has these symptoms and they are not improving within 24 hours then they should see the vet.

The most important thing to keep an eye on is her appetite. If she doesn't want to eat then this is a sign that she is really unwell.

If she hasn't had any dewormer, this may be a good thing to ask the vet about.

The other main concern when a young kitten is vomiting is if she has eaten something that is causing a partial obstruction. If this happens it is very serious! If she continues to vomit then the vet may want to take an xray to see if there is evidence of an obstruction.

Viruses are possible as well...however if she's vaccinated then these are less likely.

There are some things that can just cause a 1-2 day bout of diarrhea and vomiting so if she seems like she is improving then this could be it.

Unfortunately there is not much home care that you can do to help. I don't recommend changing the diet because cats are not like dogs where you can just feed them chicken and rice. I would stick to the food she has been used to. (Incidentally, kitten chow and fancy feast are not really great quality cat foods. They're not likely causing the intestinal issues but once she is cleared up I might consider a change to something like Iams, Science Diet or Royal Canin).

I wish I could give you more advice, but either this is something that will get better today or, if not, needs veterinary attention.

Thank you, I am definitely keeping an eye on her (fortunately I work from home).

I agree with the food brands too - this is what she was being fed in the foster home and I was afraid to switch her to something else before she got used to the new surroundings - she hid for the first 2 days and refused all food and drink.

Colleen

What is this red lump on my dog's leg? dear dr marie, in the last week this oozy boil-like bump has shown up on my dog`s... (213494 views)

Time to put dog to sleep? My dog is very old and has been Very skinny the past month, But yesterday he lost... (7330 views)

FIV positive and diarrhea. Hi Dr. Marie - I took in a semi feral cat about six weeks ago. He is FIV+. He has... (17485 views)

Male dog lost weight when female in heat. My American Bulldog male always loses weight when our female goes into heat because... (23349 views)

Artificial sweetener ingestion. This morning I ate an atkins bar for breakfast. I left the wrapper on the couch and... (36844 views)

Did raw food cause death? Hi, Dr. Marie, My sweet Shiva, who has been with me since an 8-wk old pup in 2002,... (7694 views)

ibuprofen for arthritis? my dog seems to have problems sometimes when getting up from a short or long rest,... (9351 views)

Dog ate chocolate bar. Hello. In September 2009, we got a family pet. She was born on 9th of July 2009. So... (5957 views)

Toxoplasmosis and pregnancy. Hi. I'm 15 weeks pregnant and worried about my two cats. I know how to avoid... (4933 views)

Puppy with bald spots. Hello, Im concerned about my dog, she is only 4 months but she is barely growing... (8510 views)