Vomiting all food.

Breed: long hair
My mom's adopted shelter cat, Luci, has a strange problem. It used to be nearly impossible for her to eat (she would seem to be choking), and she would throw up any food she actually got down. She eventually got to the point where she can eat, but she begs for food as though she's starving, is very skinny, and still throws up several times per day. It's as if she's a bulimic cat. She seems normal in every other way, looks good (but skinny), and is still fairly young. This has been ongoing for YEARS. She's been taken to several different vets and tested for everything obvious (diabetes, etc), but no one seems to know what's wrong. What condition might they be overlooking? My mom is considering putting her to sleep if she doesn't find an answer, because she thinks she must be suffering. Thanks!

This is a tough question to answer!

Has she had xrays done? I would be wondering about a foreign object in her stomach. She may need to have a barium series of xrays done to determine if there is an object there.

You can also talk to your vet about the possibility of inflammatory bowel disease, although it shouldn't cause vomiting as severe as this.

The next step, if the xrays did not show anything may be to have an exploratory surgery done to determine what is going on with her stomach.

This is definitely not a normal problem and I would highly advise doing some more tests until we figure out what the issue is!

Dog leaking urine. Aud is 5 year old black mini poodle. The past 3 days she is leaking urine. She is... (23759 views)

Dental cleaning extend dog's life? My Pug Chocko has a tooth that feels loose. I think it's his lower central incisor... (8450 views)

Aggressive cat My cat attacked me out of the blue today. This is very much out of character for... (28164 views)

Did cherry eye surgery fail? My 10 month old baby boy, ralphie, just had a cherry eye surgery yesterday. this... (27160 views)

Dog pees when someone pets him. Cooper is 5 months old and neutered. He pees when anyone pets him, talks to him or... (7144 views)

Lumps on mammary glands. Fraya is a rescue we have had for a month. We are not sure of her age, but we think... (29653 views)

Guinea pig with mammary tumor. what does a large open lump on a guinea pigs tit mean? the tit has gone!... (15576 views)

Big lymph nodes. My dog has swollen lymph nodes for about 15 days now and they are all over his body.... (24626 views)

Puppy has diarrhea. i just aquired a 7 month old german shepard/lab mix (already 60 lbs) a week ago and... (19424 views)

Is this fleas? Dear Dr. Marie, This is my 2nd time asking a question. Thank you for your great... (8507 views)