Vomiting all food.

Breed: long hair
My mom's adopted shelter cat, Luci, has a strange problem. It used to be nearly impossible for her to eat (she would seem to be choking), and she would throw up any food she actually got down. She eventually got to the point where she can eat, but she begs for food as though she's starving, is very skinny, and still throws up several times per day. It's as if she's a bulimic cat. She seems normal in every other way, looks good (but skinny), and is still fairly young. This has been ongoing for YEARS. She's been taken to several different vets and tested for everything obvious (diabetes, etc), but no one seems to know what's wrong. What condition might they be overlooking? My mom is considering putting her to sleep if she doesn't find an answer, because she thinks she must be suffering. Thanks!

This is a tough question to answer!

Has she had xrays done? I would be wondering about a foreign object in her stomach. She may need to have a barium series of xrays done to determine if there is an object there.

You can also talk to your vet about the possibility of inflammatory bowel disease, although it shouldn't cause vomiting as severe as this.

The next step, if the xrays did not show anything may be to have an exploratory surgery done to determine what is going on with her stomach.

This is definitely not a normal problem and I would highly advise doing some more tests until we figure out what the issue is!

Cat is shedding a lot. I have noticed a dramatic increase in the amount of hair Abby loses every time I... (7340 views)

older cat with itchy ears. Dear Dr Marie: For the last 3-4 weeks Emily has had itchy ears. She scratches... (11571 views)

Itchy cat. My cat is male, age 5 and generally very healthy. A while ago I noticed him biting... (8604 views)

New hamster tips. Ok well im getting a hamster tomorrow and i had one a few years ago. a few years ago... (9175 views)

Dog Scorpion Bite. My dog Bella was under the table when she just started screaming! We got her out... (34568 views)

Dog's baby teeth not out. Hi Dr Marie, Happy Holidays to you. I have a question. I don't think this is a... (14385 views)

Cat having trouble urinating. I have a cat, a very lively talkative cat, who is displaying health problems. She... (8027 views)

Different pupil sizes in older cat. I recently noticed that my cat's irises don't match... one is opened wide, the other... (28464 views)

Dog ate Zoloft. please answer this question, please.. my dog chloe has eaten my anti depressants i... (56069 views)

Not eating, losing weight. My cat is 12 years old and has recently shown a lack of appetite, weight loss and... (5920 views)