Vomiting all food.

Breed: long hair
My mom's adopted shelter cat, Luci, has a strange problem. It used to be nearly impossible for her to eat (she would seem to be choking), and she would throw up any food she actually got down. She eventually got to the point where she can eat, but she begs for food as though she's starving, is very skinny, and still throws up several times per day. It's as if she's a bulimic cat. She seems normal in every other way, looks good (but skinny), and is still fairly young. This has been ongoing for YEARS. She's been taken to several different vets and tested for everything obvious (diabetes, etc), but no one seems to know what's wrong. What condition might they be overlooking? My mom is considering putting her to sleep if she doesn't find an answer, because she thinks she must be suffering. Thanks!

This is a tough question to answer!

Has she had xrays done? I would be wondering about a foreign object in her stomach. She may need to have a barium series of xrays done to determine if there is an object there.

You can also talk to your vet about the possibility of inflammatory bowel disease, although it shouldn't cause vomiting as severe as this.

The next step, if the xrays did not show anything may be to have an exploratory surgery done to determine what is going on with her stomach.

This is definitely not a normal problem and I would highly advise doing some more tests until we figure out what the issue is!

Is my hamster dead? My hamster isn't moving like he used too. His eyes are always opened and he isn't... (14328 views)

Feline leukemia questions. Hi-Recently we discovered that a stray cat had kittens in our garage. Only 2 in the... (10450 views)

Is this a mouth tumor? Hi, Our cat has been doing poorly lately. She went for about a month eating once... (4289 views)

Brian tumor? Two months ago, my dog had his first seizure ever. He was taking Gabapentin (disc... (5937 views)

Mesenchymal tumor Need some input. My dog (she's 6)had developed a small lump/bump on her head above... (8181 views)

Vacuolar hepatopathy. Hi Dr. Marie I am following up with you regarding Oreo's elevated bile acid... (19609 views)

Is this fleas? Dear Dr. Marie, This is my 2nd time asking a question. Thank you for your great... (6206 views)

Pit bull has pus and is off balance. Hi Dr.Marie, i was wondering if you could please answer a question for me. My dog... (7345 views)

Dog's urine smells unusual. A few days ago I noticed that my dog's urine smells a bit strong. I can't really... (135892 views)

43 days pregnant and not eating. MY DOG IS 43 DAYS PREGNANT, SHE HAS LOW APETITE, DOCTOR PRESCRIBED PETPRO TABS 1... (8084 views)