Sheltie leaking urine.

Breed: Sheltie
We have noticed that my spayed 5 1/2 year female Sheltie has been leaking a little urine when she gets up from laying down. It is usually when she has been sleeping then she goes to get up she leaks a little. She is very healthy, although a little overweight by about 5 lbs. She is small and should be in the 20 lb area. She has never had any medical problems.

She goes for walks every day and is her usual energetic self. Her eating habits are the same and we haven't noticed any personality or physical problems. What could be causing this?

Thanks

There is a good possibility that Bailey has something called USMI (Urethral Sphincter Mechinism Incontinence). It is also known as estrogen responsive incontinence.

This condition is relatively common in spayed females. In some spayed females, the bladder can lose its ability to stay tightly closed when they are relaxed. This causes urine to leak out when a dog is sleeping or relaxing. It is possible that the urine that leaks out of her when she stands up is urine that leaked out into her vagina and then drips out of her with gravity when she stands up.

It would be great to have your vet examine Bailey's urine to make sure there is no other medical issue. If a dog has a problem that causes them to produce more urine then we can see incontinence issues. Some examples are kidney disease or diabetes. Sometimes an infection or urinary crystals or stones can cause incontinence as well.

If the urine sample doesn't show any medical problems then your vet will talk to you about treating USMI. There are two types of treatments that can be used. The most common is PPA. This medication is given 2-3 times per day and it helps to tighten up the bladder. I usually prefer to prescribe small doses of estrogen. When we use estrogen dogs take one tablet a day for 5 days and then 1-2 tablets per week. Your vet will talk to you about the pros and cons of either.

The good news is that USMI is not a serious problem. But, if it is USMI then she will likely need treatment for the rest of her life.

Kitten urinating in house. we adopted a 4 month old kitten 3 weeks ago. yesterday he urinated on my husbands... (5644 views)

My hamster bites my friends. My hamster dosent bite me ever, he only bites other people. He has never ever... (7487 views)

Noticing metallic odor. Hi! I recently adopted a dog from a NYC euth list. I've had her for about 3 weeks... (35472 views)

Dripping blood. My 13 year old female, spayed,Doberman is in good health (with lots of benign... (26938 views)

Abscess on dog's neck. We have been keeping an eye on a hard lump on my boxers upper neck, by ear. It... (36654 views)

Do cats get chicken pox? it is not of a cat of mine a cat i saw he had spots that looked alot like chickenpox... (26583 views)

Can I deworm a nursing female dog? BB is nursing 3 week old pups,can she be wormed while... (39727 views)

Profender and pregnant women. Hi there Dr. Marie This isn't a direct question about an animal but I'm wondering... (7805 views)

Dog is vomiting again. Hi Dr. Marie, Last Tuesday (Dec 6) I came home and Max had vomitted up some bile... (10199 views)

Head Tilt. My dog carries his head to one side. Do you think he could have an ear infection or... (12469 views)