Sheltie leaking urine.

Breed: Sheltie
We have noticed that my spayed 5 1/2 year female Sheltie has been leaking a little urine when she gets up from laying down. It is usually when she has been sleeping then she goes to get up she leaks a little. She is very healthy, although a little overweight by about 5 lbs. She is small and should be in the 20 lb area. She has never had any medical problems.

She goes for walks every day and is her usual energetic self. Her eating habits are the same and we haven't noticed any personality or physical problems. What could be causing this?

Thanks

There is a good possibility that Bailey has something called USMI (Urethral Sphincter Mechinism Incontinence). It is also known as estrogen responsive incontinence.

This condition is relatively common in spayed females. In some spayed females, the bladder can lose its ability to stay tightly closed when they are relaxed. This causes urine to leak out when a dog is sleeping or relaxing. It is possible that the urine that leaks out of her when she stands up is urine that leaked out into her vagina and then drips out of her with gravity when she stands up.

It would be great to have your vet examine Bailey's urine to make sure there is no other medical issue. If a dog has a problem that causes them to produce more urine then we can see incontinence issues. Some examples are kidney disease or diabetes. Sometimes an infection or urinary crystals or stones can cause incontinence as well.

If the urine sample doesn't show any medical problems then your vet will talk to you about treating USMI. There are two types of treatments that can be used. The most common is PPA. This medication is given 2-3 times per day and it helps to tighten up the bladder. I usually prefer to prescribe small doses of estrogen. When we use estrogen dogs take one tablet a day for 5 days and then 1-2 tablets per week. Your vet will talk to you about the pros and cons of either.

The good news is that USMI is not a serious problem. But, if it is USMI then she will likely need treatment for the rest of her life.

Dog urinates while walking Recently, I have noticed that my dog will walk along urinating. It seems to me that... (32899 views)

Histolytica in cats. My cat has low levels of histolytica. I was informed it was common and not necessary... (4087 views)

Fly biting seizures. At night with the lights on, Misha snaps at the air as if she's catching flies.... (18350 views)

German Shepherd not eating. I have a 13 year old female german shepherd. She is currently taking Proin and... (13805 views)

Skinny 19 year old cat. Hi my cat is 19 years old! He is a little skinny but perfectly healthy! I also have... (10644 views)

Can dogs drink tea? Can dogs drink tea? I have been told by quite a few people that it helps puppies to... (54612 views)

My dog vomited. Max just threw up. Probably not serous but wanted to check. 30 min ago he was... (11111 views)

Older dog having seizures. My 10.5 year old chocolate lab had three seizures in 12 hours in October. He's... (15625 views)

Bump on tail tip. I noticed a small bump near the very end of my dog's tail, about 1/2 inch wide. She... (40374 views)

Cat not getting over URTI. Hi, My cat has suffered from flu from approx 8 mths old but these days never seems... (6723 views)