Sheltie leaking urine.

Breed: Sheltie
We have noticed that my spayed 5 1/2 year female Sheltie has been leaking a little urine when she gets up from laying down. It is usually when she has been sleeping then she goes to get up she leaks a little. She is very healthy, although a little overweight by about 5 lbs. She is small and should be in the 20 lb area. She has never had any medical problems.

She goes for walks every day and is her usual energetic self. Her eating habits are the same and we haven't noticed any personality or physical problems. What could be causing this?

Thanks

There is a good possibility that Bailey has something called USMI (Urethral Sphincter Mechinism Incontinence). It is also known as estrogen responsive incontinence.

This condition is relatively common in spayed females. In some spayed females, the bladder can lose its ability to stay tightly closed when they are relaxed. This causes urine to leak out when a dog is sleeping or relaxing. It is possible that the urine that leaks out of her when she stands up is urine that leaked out into her vagina and then drips out of her with gravity when she stands up.

It would be great to have your vet examine Bailey's urine to make sure there is no other medical issue. If a dog has a problem that causes them to produce more urine then we can see incontinence issues. Some examples are kidney disease or diabetes. Sometimes an infection or urinary crystals or stones can cause incontinence as well.

If the urine sample doesn't show any medical problems then your vet will talk to you about treating USMI. There are two types of treatments that can be used. The most common is PPA. This medication is given 2-3 times per day and it helps to tighten up the bladder. I usually prefer to prescribe small doses of estrogen. When we use estrogen dogs take one tablet a day for 5 days and then 1-2 tablets per week. Your vet will talk to you about the pros and cons of either.

The good news is that USMI is not a serious problem. But, if it is USMI then she will likely need treatment for the rest of her life.

Dental cleaning extend dog's life? My Pug Chocko has a tooth that feels loose. I think it's his lower central incisor... (6411 views)

Coughing and not eating chihuahua My 3 year old chihuahua has been going downhill for about 2 weeks. Last week he... (7709 views)

Time for euthanasia. Mr. Magoo is 14 1/2 years old. He has Cushings disease (not being treated) and... (5006 views)

Yorkie not eating much food. My yorkie-poo rarely eats. He is currently eating instinct. He eats about 1/2 cup... (6506 views)

Swelling near dogs penis My dog is currently at the Vet, but the vet doesn't seem to understand the symptom I... (91493 views)

Sore anus after using chlorox wipe. I put a Clorox Disenfecting Wipes on my dog's anus. It's been a couple of days and... (12646 views)

Hartz Ultra Guard for fleas? hello dr. marie, bear has fleas. i gave her a bath then treated her with hartz... (10187 views)

Large liver and spleen. Male cat 10 yo & neutered has enlarged pancreas and spleen, slightly enlarged liver.... (21625 views)

Sore neck Hi Dr. Marie, You've been helpful in the past, so I thought I'd ask you another... (4660 views)

Vet is pushing veterinary foods. I have a new to me vet who is insistent on my giving my cats 'veterinary' food. My... (6822 views)