Sheltie leaking urine.

Breed: Sheltie
We have noticed that my spayed 5 1/2 year female Sheltie has been leaking a little urine when she gets up from laying down. It is usually when she has been sleeping then she goes to get up she leaks a little. She is very healthy, although a little overweight by about 5 lbs. She is small and should be in the 20 lb area. She has never had any medical problems.

She goes for walks every day and is her usual energetic self. Her eating habits are the same and we haven't noticed any personality or physical problems. What could be causing this?

Thanks

There is a good possibility that Bailey has something called USMI (Urethral Sphincter Mechinism Incontinence). It is also known as estrogen responsive incontinence.

This condition is relatively common in spayed females. In some spayed females, the bladder can lose its ability to stay tightly closed when they are relaxed. This causes urine to leak out when a dog is sleeping or relaxing. It is possible that the urine that leaks out of her when she stands up is urine that leaked out into her vagina and then drips out of her with gravity when she stands up.

It would be great to have your vet examine Bailey's urine to make sure there is no other medical issue. If a dog has a problem that causes them to produce more urine then we can see incontinence issues. Some examples are kidney disease or diabetes. Sometimes an infection or urinary crystals or stones can cause incontinence as well.

If the urine sample doesn't show any medical problems then your vet will talk to you about treating USMI. There are two types of treatments that can be used. The most common is PPA. This medication is given 2-3 times per day and it helps to tighten up the bladder. I usually prefer to prescribe small doses of estrogen. When we use estrogen dogs take one tablet a day for 5 days and then 1-2 tablets per week. Your vet will talk to you about the pros and cons of either.

The good news is that USMI is not a serious problem. But, if it is USMI then she will likely need treatment for the rest of her life.

Dog attacked by javelina. My dog got attacked by a javelina.. shes bleeding from her nose and mouth, what... (8022 views)

Wound on cat's leg. Sydney is an indoor/outdoor cat. Last week he got a cut on his front leg. I was... (18180 views)

Did my dog mate? hello my female dog was on her 2nd heat around 2months ago she got out my garden... (7340 views)

Wobbly after seizure. hello, I have a 4 year old husky mix who is epelectic. Hes on phenobarbital and... (37829 views)

Dog ate toy. Yes, he's at it again. Last night, 9 pm, I bought him a toy penguine to chew on.... (103056 views)

Dog ate grapes. Last night at 9PM I took my dog out for a walk. We were in our town and someone had... (38803 views)

Skin lesions on dog's face. HI, my Chikita has been having some skin trouble and cant exactly figure out what it... (4918 views)

Breeding big and small dogs. My little girl--weight 11 lbs-- got possibly impregnated (accicdentally--he broke... (70930 views)

How to help constipated cat. Our 10 year old cat is constipated. How can we help her? She tried to use the catbox... (4899 views)

Sore neck after blood draw. This afternoon, I took my dog for routine labwork and the tech took it from his... (13810 views)