Dog ate chocolate?

ask a vet

Sheltie leaking urine.

Species: Dog
Breed: Sheltie
Age: 5-8 years
We have noticed that my spayed 5 1/2 year female Sheltie has been leaking a little urine when she gets up from laying down. It is usually when she has been sleeping then she goes to get up she leaks a little. She is very healthy, although a little overweight by about 5 lbs. She is small and should be in the 20 lb area. She has never had any medical problems.

She goes for walks every day and is her usual energetic self. Her eating habits are the same and we haven't noticed any personality or physical problems. What could be causing this?

Thanks


Online vet, Dr. Marie

Dr. Marie replied:

There is a good possibility that Bailey has something called USMI (Urethral Sphincter Mechinism Incontinence). It is also known as estrogen responsive incontinence.

This condition is relatively common in spayed females. In some spayed females, the bladder can lose its ability to stay tightly closed when they are relaxed. This causes urine to leak out when a dog is sleeping or relaxing. It is possible that the urine that leaks out of her when she stands up is urine that leaked out into her vagina and then drips out of her with gravity when she stands up.

It would be great to have your vet examine Bailey's urine to make sure there is no other medical issue. If a dog has a problem that causes them to produce more urine then we can see incontinence issues. Some examples are kidney disease or diabetes. Sometimes an infection or urinary crystals or stones can cause incontinence as well.

If the urine sample doesn't show any medical problems then your vet will talk to you about treating USMI. There are two types of treatments that can be used. The most common is PPA. This medication is given 2-3 times per day and it helps to tighten up the bladder. I usually prefer to prescribe small doses of estrogen. When we use estrogen dogs take one tablet a day for 5 days and then 1-2 tablets per week. Your vet will talk to you about the pros and cons of either.

The good news is that USMI is not a serious problem. But, if it is USMI then she will likely need treatment for the rest of her life.


Do you have a pet website? Interested in learning more about SEO for Wix?


Check out our dog age calculator and cat age calculator.

Want to receive pet coupons, vet advice and info on new pet products in your inbox?

* indicates required

We'll only send you great stuff, never spam. Unsubscribe any time.

Disclaimer: Although Dr. Marie is a qualified veterinarian, the information found on this site is not meant to replace the advice of your own veterinarian. AskAVetQuestion.com and Dr. Marie do not accept any responsibility for any loss, damage, injury, death, or disease which may arise from reliance on information contained on this site. Do not use information found on this site for diagnosing or treating your pet. Anything you read here is for information only.

Search for similar questions:

ask a vet

Popular questions...

Home cooked diet for dog. I cook Tater ground sirloin, white rice and then mix in some canned no salt green... (4891 views)

Possible coonhound paralysis? My dogs front right leg went out on him last night. He was on waiting list for ACL... (10531 views)

Abscess? Hi Would you please be able to answer my question.. Wednesday Night I Heard two... (6665 views)

Dog died suddenly. Please help me....My dog lucky (6) was found dead at the side of our house the other... (50134 views)

Bumps on bulldog. Dr. Marie, Rocky has been having a series of hives over the past few weeks, which... (16419 views)

Limping after cat fight. Hello, My cat recently had a fight with another cat. Now he is limping on his left... (10484 views)

Paralyzed Rottweiler. 10 yr old rottie mix 100 lbs suddenly became unable to move or walk 5 days ago. He... (13003 views)

Guinea pig losing teeth. its mouth is sore and can only chew mashed up food its loosing his teeth to its not... (8753 views)

Dog walking sideways. Hello Dr. Here is my question, So my little shitzu is about 2 1/2 yrs old and... (42572 views)

Dog ate moldy corn. My 4 month old, 20 lb. standard poodle may have eaten very moldy creamed corn from a... (46002 views)

See all questions...

Dr. MarieDr. Marie is a veterinarian who practices in a busy animal hospital in Ottawa, Ontario. She created Ask A Vet Question as a resource for good, accurate veterinary advice online. Dr. Marie treats dogs, cats, hamsters, guinea pigs, and rats. She has been a vet since 1999.

Is an online vet visit just as good as a trip to your veterinarian? No! But, many times, asking an online veterinarian a question can help save you money. While Dr. Marie can't officially diagnose your pet or prescribe medications, she can often advise you on whether a vet visit is necessary. You can also ask Dr. Marie for a second opinion on your pet's condition.