Dog ate chocolate?

ask a vet

Dog ate absorbent chicken pad.

Species: Dog
Breed: Black Labrador
Age: More than 15 ye
My dog just ate one of those absorbent pads from a chicken meat tray......would this potentially cause any
harm to him?




Online vet, Dr. Marie

Dr. Marie replied:

These absorbent pads from the bottom of the meat trays are very attractive to dogs!

Most of the time these will pass through a dog's intestines and come out in their poop.

However, there is a possibility that the pad can cause an obstruction. The pads are meant to soak up moisture and so they can become very large in the stomach or intestines.

Signs of an obstruction include:

  • Vomiting

  • Straining to poop

  • Painful belly

  • Lethargy

  • No appetite



If your dog has any of these symptoms then a vet visit is a good idea.

If your dog has eaten this within the last hour you may want to consider asking your vet to induce vomiting.

The other concern I would have is for Salmonella. However, it is not common for dogs to get food poisoning from eating raw food.

I hope everything "comes out" ok!

---This question was asked in our Ask A Vet For Free section.---


Do you have a pet website? Interested in learning more about SEO for Wix?


Check out our dog age calculator and cat age calculator.

Want to receive pet coupons, vet advice and info on new pet products in your inbox?

* indicates required

We'll only send you great stuff, never spam. Unsubscribe any time.

Disclaimer: Although Dr. Marie is a qualified veterinarian, the information found on this site is not meant to replace the advice of your own veterinarian. AskAVetQuestion.com and Dr. Marie do not accept any responsibility for any loss, damage, injury, death, or disease which may arise from reliance on information contained on this site. Do not use information found on this site for diagnosing or treating your pet. Anything you read here is for information only.

Search for similar questions:

ask a vet

Popular questions...

Bald patches on body. I live in Spain. Last Spring my dog had hard white lumps of skin down the sides of... (39116 views)

Cat urinating on bed. Good Morning Over the past two days my cat has decided to urinate on my bed. His... (18359 views)

Genetic defects in a puppy. my dog has tapeworms and she gave birth to four puppies.one was born really skinny... (12730 views)

Sneezing cat. We have adopted a feral cat off the back porch in November. We think she is about 2... (16175 views)

Chicken jerky treats making dog sick My 2 yr old Shizu/Poodle has been scratching and her water intake seems to have... (7923 views)

Homemade chicken jerky treats for dogs. Hi Dr. Marie, If you do choose to answer my questions, I thank you so much in... (7155 views)

Home remedy for ear infection? Hello, My golden bailey was sprayed by a skunk in September, his shots are up to... (16550 views)

Cat's leg swollen. Hi there. I've spent an hour or more doing research about this online, and I'm at a... (11208 views)

Non healing abscess I'm sorry I had to choose the free option, but I'm skint because of the ongoing vet... (9649 views)

Dog pees on the furniture. Rusty is a reserve rescue dog we have had since this summer. He is an absolute joy... (9641 views)

See all questions...

Dr. MarieDr. Marie is a veterinarian who practices in a busy animal hospital in Ottawa, Ontario. She created Ask A Vet Question as a resource for good, accurate veterinary advice online. Dr. Marie treats dogs, cats, hamsters, guinea pigs, and rats. She has been a vet since 1999.

Is an online vet visit just as good as a trip to your veterinarian? No! But, many times, asking an online veterinarian a question can help save you money. While Dr. Marie can't officially diagnose your pet or prescribe medications, she can often advise you on whether a vet visit is necessary. You can also ask Dr. Marie for a second opinion on your pet's condition.