Dog ate absorbent chicken pad.

Breed: Black Labrador
My dog just ate one of those absorbent pads from a chicken meat tray......would this potentially cause any
harm to him?

These absorbent pads from the bottom of the meat trays are very attractive to dogs!

Most of the time these will pass through a dog's intestines and come out in their poop.

However, there is a possibility that the pad can cause an obstruction. The pads are meant to soak up moisture and so they can become very large in the stomach or intestines.

Signs of an obstruction include:

• Vomiting

• Straining to poop

• Painful belly

• Lethargy

• No appetite

If your dog has any of these symptoms then a vet visit is a good idea.

If your dog has eaten this within the last hour you may want to consider asking your vet to induce vomiting.

The other concern I would have is for Salmonella. However, it is not common for dogs to get food poisoning from eating raw food.

I hope everything "comes out" ok!

Pocket pets and cats. I have been considering adding a small pocket pet as a companion to my home. I... (3657 views)

Dog coughing. We let our dog do her business in the backyard. However, we are currently in the... (48451 views)

Give thyroid medicine? Hi there, I live in a remote northern community and we do not have a vet here. My... (7337 views)

Can't lift tail. my Golden Retriever's tail doesn't lift up like it normally does. She can still wag... (15392 views)

Vomiting and diarrhea. Is my dog dying? My dog vomitted yesterday, then she had a very loose stool in my kitchen. She never... (32651 views)

Rogain toxic to dogs? Hello. Thank you for taking the time to read and answer my question. I have... (23711 views)

Diarrhea and vomiting in kittens. Hello Marie, thanks in advance. (Sorry for the English we are from Finland)... (5301 views)

Can't pee. Constipation issues too. Hello, My cat has Mega Colon and is being treated with CisaPride 5mg/ml suspension.... (12861 views)

Sore ears. 6 months ago my Scottish terrier came down with swelling and fluid on right side of... (6508 views)

Can rabbits carry rabies? I am wondering what the chances of a baby wild rabbit having rabies is. The baby is... (16487 views)