Dog ate absorbent chicken pad.

Breed: Black Labrador
My dog just ate one of those absorbent pads from a chicken meat tray......would this potentially cause any
harm to him?

These absorbent pads from the bottom of the meat trays are very attractive to dogs!

Most of the time these will pass through a dog's intestines and come out in their poop.

However, there is a possibility that the pad can cause an obstruction. The pads are meant to soak up moisture and so they can become very large in the stomach or intestines.

Signs of an obstruction include:

• Vomiting

• Straining to poop

• Painful belly

• Lethargy

• No appetite

If your dog has any of these symptoms then a vet visit is a good idea.

If your dog has eaten this within the last hour you may want to consider asking your vet to induce vomiting.

The other concern I would have is for Salmonella. However, it is not common for dogs to get food poisoning from eating raw food.

I hope everything "comes out" ok!

Sick after having puppies. I have an important question about my dog. She had puppies 2 weeks ago and suddenly... (11220 views)

Dog is vomiting again. Hi Dr. Marie, Last Tuesday (Dec 6) I came home and Max had vomitted up some bile... (13594 views)

Does Hartz flea treatment work? My dogs have gotten fleas and I've been putting Hartz flea treatment on them but it... (18491 views)

Swollen vulva. "I have a female Rat Terrier who is 6 months old and I was wondering if its normal... (34810 views)

Peptobismol use in cats I gave pepto bismol to my cat will it be... (25101 views)

Grade 4 heart murmur. Today I had went to a new vet with my 8 year old Cocker Spaniel, and while the vet... (14296 views)

Possible asthma My 7 year old cat has always had frequent hairballs. I have always suspected he had... (15057 views)

Can't use back legs. In the past 7 months my dog has had 2 "episodes". First, in September 2010 he had... (36508 views)

Really bad skin issues. there is a PHOTO on the Pet-Forums-UK website, on the Dog Health sub-forum under Dog... (10928 views)

Factory Farms and CAFOS Hello my name is Alyssa. I am a senior at FD Roosevelt Senior High School. I am... (7884 views)