Dog ate absorbent chicken pad.

Breed: Black Labrador
My dog just ate one of those absorbent pads from a chicken meat tray......would this potentially cause any
harm to him?

These absorbent pads from the bottom of the meat trays are very attractive to dogs!

Most of the time these will pass through a dog's intestines and come out in their poop.

However, there is a possibility that the pad can cause an obstruction. The pads are meant to soak up moisture and so they can become very large in the stomach or intestines.

Signs of an obstruction include:

• Vomiting

• Straining to poop

• Painful belly

• Lethargy

• No appetite

If your dog has any of these symptoms then a vet visit is a good idea.

If your dog has eaten this within the last hour you may want to consider asking your vet to induce vomiting.

The other concern I would have is for Salmonella. However, it is not common for dogs to get food poisoning from eating raw food.

I hope everything "comes out" ok!

Heavy breathing in dog. My dog seems to be panting and breathing heavily quite often, almost all the time,... (15370 views)

FIV positive and diarrhea. Hi Dr. Marie - I took in a semi feral cat about six weeks ago. He is FIV+. He has... (17193 views)

Why did 15 year old dog die? Hello, My dog was 15 years old and she just recently died last thursday. My mother... (15447 views)

Bumps on dog's chin. my dog has some bumps under her mouth and one on the side of her mouth. they were... (32826 views)

Papaya leaf extract for cancer? Hi, Jacob is 8 he just had his spleen removed due to a tumor about a week ago. ... (11904 views)

Milk for cat? Is milk good for a one month old... (7153 views)

Losing weight, not eating. My 16 yr old cat has not been eating and losing weight. The vet has done bloodwork,... (39001 views)

Vaccine FeLV positive cat? If my cat tested positive for FeLv should he still get vaccine boosters like fvrcp,... (7224 views)

Cat has scabs on neck. Hi! My cat wont stop scratching himself..he is an indoor cat and it just randomly... (12231 views)

Scabs on cat's ear and neck. Hi. I adopted a cat and she was doing fine. I noticed that she was loosing hair in... (16785 views)