Dog ate absorbent chicken pad.

Breed: Black Labrador
My dog just ate one of those absorbent pads from a chicken meat tray......would this potentially cause any
harm to him?

These absorbent pads from the bottom of the meat trays are very attractive to dogs!

Most of the time these will pass through a dog's intestines and come out in their poop.

However, there is a possibility that the pad can cause an obstruction. The pads are meant to soak up moisture and so they can become very large in the stomach or intestines.

Signs of an obstruction include:

• Vomiting

• Straining to poop

• Painful belly

• Lethargy

• No appetite

If your dog has any of these symptoms then a vet visit is a good idea.

If your dog has eaten this within the last hour you may want to consider asking your vet to induce vomiting.

The other concern I would have is for Salmonella. However, it is not common for dogs to get food poisoning from eating raw food.

I hope everything "comes out" ok!

Stuffed up cat. I have a male cat named Tuna aged somewhere close to a year and a half. He is a... (11576 views)

Chronic and acute kidney disease. My dog is a 3 and half year old toy poodle. About 3 month before, he was diagnosed... (9018 views)

Lumps all over body. Hello, I have a 6 year old italian grey hound. Before he was very very active and... (32098 views)

Liver infections in cat. My 13 year old cat has had at least 3 serious, life threatening liver infections... (7246 views)

Is my dog overweight? Can you please tell me what weight Lady should be? She is now 24kg, is this a good... (7578 views)

Male cat nipple problem. My male desexed cat has always had a enlarged nipple. It seems to be getting larger... (19359 views)

Can't move back legs. My cat could not get up using its back legs. Her front legs were working but she... (31862 views)

Stuffed up dog. We are a foster home/rescue home for dogs. We brought in a new foster two weeks ago... (60388 views)

Big lymph nodes. My dog has swollen lymph nodes for about 15 days now and they are all over his body.... (22030 views)

Large lymph nodes in a cat. My cat Miko seems to have swollen lymph nodes under her neck. They've been like that... (43267 views)