Mesenchymal tumor

Breed: Terrier mix
Need some input. My dog (she's 6)had developed a small lump/bump on her head above left eyelid. It's about the size of a pea and feels like its in the skin. Took her to vet and they said to just watch it, could be a bug bite. If doesn't get better bring back to have it removed.

A month later, it's still there. Went to a different vet and they did a FNA. Results were inconclusive, but suspicious for mesenchymal tumor. We have surgery scheduled for removal next week.

My concern is that the cells from the FNA were damaged, which lead to this suspicious report.

Could it still be benign? Today Vet mentioned fibrosarcoma or mast cell as possibilities. I'm a mess and just looking for some more information.

The lump:
Does not bother her
No color to lump, it's in skin
No loss of hair at site
Size of a pea
Moveable, inside skin

Do you feel that this FNA cytology report (which I am emailing as I can't attach to this) still can be benign. I have researched cytology reports and my head is spinning.

I've come to the conclusion that it can be anything from a benign fibroma to a malignant fibrosarcoma.

I know I will know for sure after the surgery and the pathology report comes back. Just wondering if there was any additional information, input or guessed that you mAy have
Do you have any further insight?

Thank you for sending me a copy of the cytology report. That really helps:

cytology report

A mesenchymal tumor is one that arises from cells in the connective tissue. There are many different kinds, some of which are quite serious and some of which are completely benign.

The fact that the cytologist is recognizing these cells as mesenchymal means that they're not just normal skin cells. There is definitely some type of growth process there. However, it is often hard on a fine needle aspirate (even if the cells weren't broken) to determine whether this is cancerous or not.

One cancerous possibility is that this could be a fibrosarcoma. Fibrosarcomas are often treatable if they can be completely removed. Given that this is a small lump, there's a great chance that it can be completely removed. As fibrosarcomas grow, they can start to infiltrate into muscle and between muscle layers and get very difficult to remove completely. These are the cases where I worry. But, a pea sized tumor means that even if it is a fibrosarcoma then there is a good chance that it can be cured with surgery.

It could also be something called a fibroma which is a benign lump that will most definitely be cured with surgery.

A mast cell tumor is another type of mesenchymal tumor. Usually though, mast cell tumors are fairly obvious on cytology. The fact that the cytologist didn't suggest a mast cell tumor makes this less likely. But, if it was a mast cell tumor then there are different types. Some are quite benign and others can be quite serious.

There are other types of mesenchymal tumors as well. However, at this point it really is just a guess. The purpose of the fine needle aspirate was to tell us whether surgery was necessary. So, now we now that this is a lump that needs to be removed as opposed to a minor cyst or wart or something like that. Once it is removed your vet will send the lump away and the results from the histopathology will give you more conclusive answers.

I know that waiting is hard. But, the fact that this is still a small lump is a really good sign.

I hope things work out ok.

thank you Dr. Marie --
The waiting for the surgery and then the pathology will be hard. I did want to ask if trauma could cause the FNA of the lump to contain mesenchymal tissue. As if it were healing -etc. My dog did bump her head on the door running in from outside. We initially thought the bump was from that. I feel like it was a tiny bit bigger (maybe like a marble) when we first noticed it and then a week later when I took her to the Vet, it was the size of a pea.

Could there be any relation to this? We don't even know for sure if the bump/lump is from her banging her head - just trying to look back on the timeline.

Thank you.

It's very unlikely that the bump from the door caused this. We don't really know why these these come up but I can't say I have ever seen one that was caused by a trauma.

Blood in urine after bladder surgery Hello again Dr. Marie. My dog had bladder surgery on Monday. To make a long story... (22213 views)

Dog ate maxi pad. My wife and I left for a 24 day holiday. Three of our kids remained at home. Our... (22630 views)

Limping Maltipoo. My dog fell from trying to jump on my bed 2 days ago. (She is a maltipoo and weighs... (18941 views)

Seizures and not eating. Earlier in the week Cash had a pee/poop/vomit fest in the house, unusual for him. ... (9729 views)

Coconut milk for dogs. Okay my dog has suffered colitis since he was a pup, numerous vets said his food was... (114037 views)

Is Okra toxic to dogs? Without thinking, I gave my dog a small amount (appx 1/4 cup) of oven fried... (60718 views)

Papaya leaf extract for cancer? Hi, Jacob is 8 he just had his spleen removed due to a tumor about a week ago. ... (14253 views)

Constipation or megacolon? We having been treating sassy for constipation issues for almost 3 yrs with 1.5... (6240 views)

Vomiting and diarrhea. I have a 4mo old kitten who has had diarrhea 2 days and threw up last night. No... (7553 views)

Coughing blood and mucus. Marvin has been periodically coughing up mucus with blood in it. He has a tumor of... (33642 views)