Sore tail.

Breed: unknown
Yesterday I noticed my cat acting strange. She has been walking with her tail very close to her body, which she never does. Marley always walks with her tail straight up. She has been hiding, and staying on the main floor of the house which is unusual for her. My guess is because it hurts for her to walk up and down the stairs. She also can't jump onto things. I watched her try to jump onto the couch and she couldn't. Also, when i pet her she acts like she's either in pain or sensitive at the base of her tail/back. Please tell me what I can do, I'm worried.

It certainly sounds like Marley is painful. When cats are in pain, the most common thing for them to do is to hide and not move much.

There are a few things that could cause pain like you have described. The most common thing for a cat of that age would probably be some type of injury to the tail such as being stepped on or having it caught in a door. If this is the case, then there's a good chance that things will improve on their own within the next 48 hours. But, if you think that she is really uncomfortable then seeing the vet to get some pain medication would be a good idea. There is no over the counter pain medication that is safe and effective for cats.

A back injury could be a possibility as well although this is not as common in cats.

Does Marley go outside or have access to other cats? Another possibility is some type of abscess near her tail. It is not always super obvious when this happens. Sometimes there can be a wound under the skin that is infected and can't be seen underneath all of the fur. If she will let you, take a good look at her tail and legs and see if you can see any type of wound or red area on the skin. If there is a wound then Marley really does need to see a vet as this type of problem will only go away with antibiotics prescribed by the vet.

We do see arthritis issues in cats, but usually this would be in an older cat and wouldn't come on all of a sudden like this.

If Marley is eating ok then it is alright to keep an eye on her and just keep her quiet for a day or two. If things haven't improved after the weekend then I would have her seen by a vet. However, if she is not eating much then this can be a sign of something more serious and I would have her seen today.

I hope she feels better soon!

Why does guinea pig have pink poop? Hi! I am a big fan! So my guinea pig yesterday at play time, I found like a pink... (15628 views)

Lump after vaccines. ...Hello! My name is Jessie and I have a Teacup Chihuhua named Zeep. He is about 10... (16361 views)

Lump on hamster Hi, Recenly my dwarf hamster has developed a pink lump with white spots under its... (23109 views)

Did I do the right thing? Hello Dr. Marie, I am grieving today as I had my 12 year old cat put down yesterday... (11361 views)

Heart rate for a cat. Dear Dr.Marie I was just wondering THE TRUTH behind what a cats average heart... (12907 views)

Seborrheic dermatitis in Irish Setter. i have a 12yr old irish setter who has seborrheic dermatitis. she has the scaley... (13281 views)

Chin acne in a dog. My 1 year old cane corso keeps getting bumps on his chin similar to acne or zits. I... (15438 views)

Dog bleeding from anus. My dog is slightly bleeding from her anus, but it isn't noticeable until she sits... (32327 views)

Grade 5 heart murmur. Hello, my 12 year old beagle just recently went into the vet for a check up and the... (14966 views)

Swollen face after fight. My miniature pinscher was attacked by a boxer a few days ago. Her wounds have... (13750 views)