Sore tail.

Breed: unknown
Yesterday I noticed my cat acting strange. She has been walking with her tail very close to her body, which she never does. Marley always walks with her tail straight up. She has been hiding, and staying on the main floor of the house which is unusual for her. My guess is because it hurts for her to walk up and down the stairs. She also can't jump onto things. I watched her try to jump onto the couch and she couldn't. Also, when i pet her she acts like she's either in pain or sensitive at the base of her tail/back. Please tell me what I can do, I'm worried.

It certainly sounds like Marley is painful. When cats are in pain, the most common thing for them to do is to hide and not move much.

There are a few things that could cause pain like you have described. The most common thing for a cat of that age would probably be some type of injury to the tail such as being stepped on or having it caught in a door. If this is the case, then there's a good chance that things will improve on their own within the next 48 hours. But, if you think that she is really uncomfortable then seeing the vet to get some pain medication would be a good idea. There is no over the counter pain medication that is safe and effective for cats.

A back injury could be a possibility as well although this is not as common in cats.

Does Marley go outside or have access to other cats? Another possibility is some type of abscess near her tail. It is not always super obvious when this happens. Sometimes there can be a wound under the skin that is infected and can't be seen underneath all of the fur. If she will let you, take a good look at her tail and legs and see if you can see any type of wound or red area on the skin. If there is a wound then Marley really does need to see a vet as this type of problem will only go away with antibiotics prescribed by the vet.

We do see arthritis issues in cats, but usually this would be in an older cat and wouldn't come on all of a sudden like this.

If Marley is eating ok then it is alright to keep an eye on her and just keep her quiet for a day or two. If things haven't improved after the weekend then I would have her seen by a vet. However, if she is not eating much then this can be a sign of something more serious and I would have her seen today.

I hope she feels better soon!

Grade 4 heart murmur. Today I had went to a new vet with my 8 year old Cocker Spaniel, and while the vet... (14271 views)

Not eating or using litter box. about 4 or 5 days ago my cat stopped eating and using the bethroom for about 2 days.... (15784 views)

Lethargic dog. The last 3 days, Duke has become very lethargic, laying around and just sleeping. ... (32055 views)

Walking on tip toes. my dog got hit with a car about 4 months ago she suffered no broken bones but when... (12890 views)

viscious dogs Killer dogs next door! We live next door to 4 dogs, a female German Shepard, a... (13754 views)

Addison's disease. I had almost the same experience as the person who wrote you about losing their dog... (19893 views)

Dog eats my underwear. This is going to sound weird but this is a real question. My dog keeps licking mine... (44822 views)

Vomiting and trouble with urination and stool. My 5 year old goldendoodle vomited (not food regurgitation) this morning, is trying... (25309 views)

Kennel cough not getting better. Hello, My English bulldog puppy has been diagnosed with Kennel cough. He has had... (13718 views)

Puppy with diarrhea. Hi Dr. Marie I have a 10 week old OES pup, male. He is in good weight, healthy... (17149 views)