Sore tail.

Breed: unknown
Yesterday I noticed my cat acting strange. She has been walking with her tail very close to her body, which she never does. Marley always walks with her tail straight up. She has been hiding, and staying on the main floor of the house which is unusual for her. My guess is because it hurts for her to walk up and down the stairs. She also can't jump onto things. I watched her try to jump onto the couch and she couldn't. Also, when i pet her she acts like she's either in pain or sensitive at the base of her tail/back. Please tell me what I can do, I'm worried.

It certainly sounds like Marley is painful. When cats are in pain, the most common thing for them to do is to hide and not move much.

There are a few things that could cause pain like you have described. The most common thing for a cat of that age would probably be some type of injury to the tail such as being stepped on or having it caught in a door. If this is the case, then there's a good chance that things will improve on their own within the next 48 hours. But, if you think that she is really uncomfortable then seeing the vet to get some pain medication would be a good idea. There is no over the counter pain medication that is safe and effective for cats.

A back injury could be a possibility as well although this is not as common in cats.

Does Marley go outside or have access to other cats? Another possibility is some type of abscess near her tail. It is not always super obvious when this happens. Sometimes there can be a wound under the skin that is infected and can't be seen underneath all of the fur. If she will let you, take a good look at her tail and legs and see if you can see any type of wound or red area on the skin. If there is a wound then Marley really does need to see a vet as this type of problem will only go away with antibiotics prescribed by the vet.

We do see arthritis issues in cats, but usually this would be in an older cat and wouldn't come on all of a sudden like this.

If Marley is eating ok then it is alright to keep an eye on her and just keep her quiet for a day or two. If things haven't improved after the weekend then I would have her seen by a vet. However, if she is not eating much then this can be a sign of something more serious and I would have her seen today.

I hope she feels better soon!

Limping cat with heart problems. Hudson is a 10 year old indoor house cat. He originally came from a garbage dump in... (14401 views)

Possible brain tumor. We would like your opinion on whether we were right in putting Barney to... (18790 views)

Blood in stool. hi lucky just went poop outside and he did liquidy bright red blood iam not sure... (45234 views)

Bladder stones and crystals. Hello Dr. Marie: Last fall and again in April of this year, Jazz got what was... (10349 views)

Dog has a bald patch over eye. Hello, I have a miniature Dashchund which is 5 mnths old and she is in perfect... (13780 views)

High liver enzymes. He has had major allergy problems since April 2010. He is seeing both holistic and... (20137 views)

Dog ate fertilizer. Hi Dr. Marie, Jake, a 25 lb Border Collie mix ate a small amount of a grass... (44572 views)

Pathology report for mammary tumor. Shelby recently had her mammary gland removed as she had multiple tumors. This... (9188 views)

Ear mites? My cat has been scratching at it's ear and itching it. I think he has ear mites. I... (9367 views)

Rat pees and poops on owner. I have a baby rat that poops and pies on me when she gets out of the... (10055 views)