Pomeranian in pain.

Breed: Pomeranian
I have a 4 year old pom. All of a sudden, 3 weeks ago he started having abdominal like or spasms in his rear, they were constant every few seconds and would last for hours at a time. He also started hiding and seemed constipated. Went to the vet (3 weeks ago) and they did a urine test and x-ray and found that he had an elevated BUN and Creat. level and that his colon was slightly enlarged with stool in it and that it looked he had some spine compression, the vet was not sure as to if it was abdominal or a spinal issue that was causing his spasms. We were prescribed Metacam and Laxatone. The following week(2 week ago), after no improvement we returned and she prescribed Tramadol to see if that would help. The tramadol relieved the muscle spasms some but they were still continuing and none of the other symptoms improved and he started to become lethargic and not eating. We went to another vet (4 days ago) to seek out an answer to his problem, because it seemed the first vet was just creating a bill and didn't know what it could be. This new vet said it definitely felt like it was a nerve compression - prescribed Ramidyl and said to keep him confined from jumping or using the stairs until he felt better. He has one more pill of the Ramidyl to take tomorrow, and he is now eating and passing stool a little better than he was, but today all of a sudden his hind legs started shivering as he was standing. I layed him down and they continued for about 5 minutes and then stopped. The muscle spasms have stopped for the past few days and I thought this was helping, but the shivering is worrying me. I plan to take him into the vet in the morning if needed, but this is becoming a huge expense. So I was hoping I could get some help as to what this could possibly be.

Oh the poor little guy. I'm sorry to hear that Duke is having these problems.

From what you have written this definitely sounds like a back issue. It can often be difficult to tell what is going on when there is mild back pain and I have had cases like this where it is hard to determine if there is a back problem or abdominal pain.

It sounds like Duke may have some intervertebral disc disease. This happens when there is a problem with the discs between the vertebrae of the back. If there is inflammation between one or more of the discs then you can see pain, spasms and lethargy. Rimadyl is a good medication to help reduce inflammation. Often a course of Rimadyl will do the trick.

However, I do get concerned when a back problem improves and then suddenly gets worse. When this happens it may mean that there is more than just inflammation going on. There may be a bulging disc in between the vertebrae. This can be quite serious.

He definitely should see his vet in the morning. (If he gets to the point where he is very weak in his back end or not able to stand then he needs to see an emergency vet tonight). The vet will do some neurological tests (like trying to knuckle his back feet over) to determine how serious this is. They may take him off of the rimadyl and put him on a stronger anti-inflammatory such as prednisone or dexamethasone.

If they feel that there is a bulging disc then this is something that may need surgery. Unfortunately this surgery can be very expensive.

The best thing you can do for him tonight is to keep him really quiet. If you think he is getting more and more uncomfortable then he may need to see the vet on emergency.

I hope he is ok!

Thank you for your response. I'm going to keep him down for the night as he seems pretty content in his crate and take him to the vet first thing in the morning. I suspected it to be a disk problem from researching his symptoms with other questions/answers - but then again, I am no doctor.
Thanks so much for your help!

This sounds like a good plan. I pray that he feels better soon!

Liver shunt or exercise induced collapse? Hello Dr. Marie, I have a 2 year old female lab named Harper. Harper loves to play... (4700 views)

Did cat die from eating fertilizer? Hello, a couple of days ago I found one of my cats dead in the garden. Although he... (10008 views)

Rat is not eating. my pet rat has an infection and we took her to the vet and was given a mineral food... (8043 views)

Bobcat with lump. Hi,I was wondering about my bobcat mix... He is 3 mo old ..we found him when he was... (6982 views)

Cat has flaky skin. My Maine Coon, Nino has had flaky skin for quite awhile. I had him at the vet a few... (7801 views)

Dog losing weight. my king charles is losing weight, ive tried al different kinds of wet and dry food... (7018 views)

Constipated cat. Hi Dr. Marie, The last time I emailed you (about a year ago), our cat, Keane, was... (13848 views)

Sick 4 week old puppies. i have 5 chihuahua puppies of 4 weeks, and last night one of the pup's started... (17092 views)

Dog has itchy bum. Bella is 3 years old. She's been having some anal itching the past few days but... (113120 views)

Vulvar tumor thank you for your reply to my first question about my cat who died from a vulval... (6524 views)