Licking at foot.

Breed: staffieX
About 4 years ago we had one front dewclaw removed, after ruby caught it on something and it became infected down to the bone. After it was removed we saw no difference in her and it healed completly without a problem. Sence then we have noticed that she is constantly at it licking and chewing at it on and off. Their is no abrasion to the skin, thier is some hair loss but not significant enough to worry about. What could possibly causing this discomfort so long after the insadent?

Thanks Robyn

If this were my case I would be taking some xrays to see if there are any bone spurs or evidence of arthritis in the area.

It's also possible that this is a habit that she has formed. If so, we treat this by keeping the dog from licking (either by bandaging or wearing an elizabethan collar) for a few months. Sometimes we also treat with medication to help stop the habit such as clomicalm.

It's worthwhile to have your vet take another look at her and hopefully take some xrays.

ECG for heart murmur? Hi, We have an 8 year old european shorthair cat who was recently diagnosed as... (9697 views)

Healthy cat died suddenly. Why did my cat die? I came home from work today to find that my cat had died. I... (25774 views)

Mass in cat's chest? Hello, My cat, a sterilized indoor-living Japanese Bobtail, is now 4 years old... (19381 views)

Dog is limping after back surgery. Chloe is 9yrs of age. She has been lame in her left hind leg for the past 3 yrs but... (8903 views)

Rash on Daschund My dog has a very red rash on her lower abdominal area and vaginal area. She bites... (11895 views)

Bruising after blood collection. I took my dog to get some shots earlier today and to get some tests done. They drew... (26311 views)

Dog eats grass and vomits Hi Marie! My Germen Spitz(male) eats some grass while he is out and vomits.Avoids... (9706 views)

Enlarged lymph nodes on chemo. My furry child was recently diagnosed Lymphoma, cells suggestive of T-cell. I do... (13168 views)

Muscle tremors and distemper. I have an around 4 - 6 month old puppy who was a street dog in Dharamsala India. She... (12298 views)

Lumps on mammary glands. Fraya is a rescue we have had for a month. We are not sure of her age, but we think... (25340 views)