Licking at foot.

Breed: staffieX
About 4 years ago we had one front dewclaw removed, after ruby caught it on something and it became infected down to the bone. After it was removed we saw no difference in her and it healed completly without a problem. Sence then we have noticed that she is constantly at it licking and chewing at it on and off. Their is no abrasion to the skin, thier is some hair loss but not significant enough to worry about. What could possibly causing this discomfort so long after the insadent?

Thanks Robyn

If this were my case I would be taking some xrays to see if there are any bone spurs or evidence of arthritis in the area.

It's also possible that this is a habit that she has formed. If so, we treat this by keeping the dog from licking (either by bandaging or wearing an elizabethan collar) for a few months. Sometimes we also treat with medication to help stop the habit such as clomicalm.

It's worthwhile to have your vet take another look at her and hopefully take some xrays.

Cushings and cataracts. Our Little Jack Russell is 15 years old. He is blind from cataracts. And now the vet... (12847 views)

Dog biting his own penis. I have 2 foster brothers who had been severely abused when I took them in. (Broken... (56850 views)

Leaking anal glands. My dog has anal leakage. I had her glands expressed but she is still leaking. I... (44918 views)

Dog is going blind. Blacky is going blind, we have no idea what is causing it , he is a healthy dog,,,... (7606 views)

Cat pawing at mouth My cat has been like this for 2 days now, he looked like he was chokeing at first,... (27395 views)

Dog with back problems. I know it's log winded, but I wanted to include all the information... (19046 views)

Meibomian gland adenoma. Tessa has a little black growth on her eyelid. My vet has said it's a tumor and... (14490 views)

Carrots and nuts safe for dogs? Is it safe to feed her carrots or nuts of any kind? We have just been feeding them... (12369 views)

Vomiting diabetic cat. Hello Dr. We have a 17yr old male diabetic cat who throws up a nasty brown liquid... (32034 views)

Shifting lameness and weight loss. In March, Grayson suddenly started limping on his front left paw. We took him to... (6662 views)