Licking at foot.

Breed: staffieX
About 4 years ago we had one front dewclaw removed, after ruby caught it on something and it became infected down to the bone. After it was removed we saw no difference in her and it healed completly without a problem. Sence then we have noticed that she is constantly at it licking and chewing at it on and off. Their is no abrasion to the skin, thier is some hair loss but not significant enough to worry about. What could possibly causing this discomfort so long after the insadent?

Thanks Robyn

If this were my case I would be taking some xrays to see if there are any bone spurs or evidence of arthritis in the area.

It's also possible that this is a habit that she has formed. If so, we treat this by keeping the dog from licking (either by bandaging or wearing an elizabethan collar) for a few months. Sometimes we also treat with medication to help stop the habit such as clomicalm.

It's worthwhile to have your vet take another look at her and hopefully take some xrays.

Cat shaking after flea treatment. I accidentally treated my kitten with a store bought flea treatment meant for dogs... (29071 views)

Symptoms of Lupus Help! owners have spent $1100 on test and everything comes back normal but Archie is... (10647 views)

Still has roundworms. My 2-year-old cat, Oliver, has been having a problem with roundworms. He was born... (14387 views)

Drinking more and thirsty LILI, 7.5 YRS OLD, HAS STARTED WETTING HER BED AND SHE HAS AN UNENDING THIRST AND... (15009 views)

Dog died suddenly. My dog, Ace, passed away on Thursday, July 5th. We live in the midwest and had been... (12201 views)

Milk coming out of squirrel's nose. I have an orphaned squirrel that doesn't have his eyes open yet. He has aspirated... (11177 views)

Spiders toxic to cats? Hi Dr. Marie, Hope things are well. I had what amounts to a common question but... (10948 views)

Increased thirst and urination. I have an 11 year old spayed female toy poodle. She has been drinking a lot of water... (23878 views)

Separation anxiety. Dear Dr. Marie, My family and I adopted Champ, who is a 2 1/2 year old... (7116 views)

Seizure or heart problem? My sister is younger and home alone until tomorrow. She called me freaking out about... (13193 views)