Licking at foot.

Breed: staffieX
About 4 years ago we had one front dewclaw removed, after ruby caught it on something and it became infected down to the bone. After it was removed we saw no difference in her and it healed completly without a problem. Sence then we have noticed that she is constantly at it licking and chewing at it on and off. Their is no abrasion to the skin, thier is some hair loss but not significant enough to worry about. What could possibly causing this discomfort so long after the insadent?

Thanks Robyn

If this were my case I would be taking some xrays to see if there are any bone spurs or evidence of arthritis in the area.

It's also possible that this is a habit that she has formed. If so, we treat this by keeping the dog from licking (either by bandaging or wearing an elizabethan collar) for a few months. Sometimes we also treat with medication to help stop the habit such as clomicalm.

It's worthwhile to have your vet take another look at her and hopefully take some xrays.

Milky urine in guinea pig. One of my guinea pigs urine is milky, this has never happened before. Their diet is... (11203 views)

Bruising on neck. My mini dachshund went in for a dental cleaning, which the vet said went as normal.... (11721 views)

Questions about spay. I have an appointment to get Gracie spayed on the 17th and had a few questions. ... (16711 views)

Parvo and hookworms. Last Monday, I got this puppy, a miniature doxen. Well, the first few days he was a... (24199 views)

Pus filled lump on boxer. Hello, About four days ago, we noticed what looked like a cut on our male boxer's... (6279 views)

Constipation or megacolon? We having been treating sassy for constipation issues for almost 3 yrs with 1.5... (5471 views)

Dog walking in circles my mother in laws dog just started acting real sick today he cant stand up or when... (27694 views)

Dog biting his own penis. I have 2 foster brothers who had been severely abused when I took them in. (Broken... (71523 views)

Swollen eye in older cat. Hello - I have a 13-yr cat with renal issues (diagnosed 2 yrs ago) - but she has... (9924 views)

Black spot on side of hamster. My hamster is about 2 years old and has always had a black spot on the right side of... (42417 views)