Licking at foot.

Breed: staffieX
About 4 years ago we had one front dewclaw removed, after ruby caught it on something and it became infected down to the bone. After it was removed we saw no difference in her and it healed completly without a problem. Sence then we have noticed that she is constantly at it licking and chewing at it on and off. Their is no abrasion to the skin, thier is some hair loss but not significant enough to worry about. What could possibly causing this discomfort so long after the insadent?

Thanks Robyn

If this were my case I would be taking some xrays to see if there are any bone spurs or evidence of arthritis in the area.

It's also possible that this is a habit that she has formed. If so, we treat this by keeping the dog from licking (either by bandaging or wearing an elizabethan collar) for a few months. Sometimes we also treat with medication to help stop the habit such as clomicalm.

It's worthwhile to have your vet take another look at her and hopefully take some xrays.

Wobbly after ear cleaning. Hi, The last two times Tigger has been to the vet, they noted that she had a mass... (18016 views)

Cat not getting over URTI. Hi, My cat has suffered from flu from approx 8 mths old but these days never seems... (6818 views)

Can a dog transmit Hep C? Recently my nephew was bitten by a k-9 dog in a mistaken identity situation. My... (19016 views)

Indestructible dog toys. Hi Dr, Fortunately I'm not writing about an illness. Since his neutering Max... (10386 views)

Puppy has 6-8 bowel movements per day. My 7 month old dog has 6 - 8 bowel movements per day. Most are well formed, some... (14999 views)

Itchy feet, belly, tail. I live in MA with my dog. We went to NY (an hour north of NYC) at the very beginning... (28922 views)

Brewer's Yeast for fleas. Is brewers yeast and garlic a safe treatment for deterring fleas and ticks,... (17943 views)

Chicken fillets by Beefeaters. Dear Dr. Marie, I have a 10 y.o. Black and Tan Coonhound and he just loves... (13072 views)

Cat has scabs and dry skin. Any home treatment for scabs/dry skin for cats on their head, chin, and neck? I put... (12222 views)

Oozing boil on dog's paw. My dog has a sort of woozing boil on her paw and all around it there is hair loss... (11909 views)