Sudden death.

Breed: Domestic Shorthair
My 3-yr old robust, healthy male house cat suddenly dropped dead in the middle of the night. No symptons of anything wrong, no eating problems, no urinating or defacating problems, no vomiting, coughing or breathing problems. What could it have been? When I found him, he had white, bubbling foam coming out of one nostril and a clear, slimy, foul smelling discharge with a small reddish discharge coming out of the other nostril. His mouth was slightly open and dry. Could this be indicative of a respiratory problem, stroke, blood clot, heart attack or something else? His sudden, inexplicable death is so troublesome to me and causing me difficulty in accepting it. Can you give me any ideas what might have caused it? Thank you.

The most common reason for an apparently healthy cat to die suddenly is a condition called HCM (hypertrophic cardiomyopathy). This is a condition where the walls of the heart are too thick. Cats can go from totally healthy to suddenly in heart failure and death in minutes.

However, one thing that doesn't fit with HCM is the foul discharge from his nose. This sounds like there could have been something else going on. A few possibilities include electrocution (i.e. from chewing on a wire) or aspirating an object into his lungs.

Ultimately the only way to know would be to have a post mortem exam done.

I'm so sorry for your loss!

Swollen face after tooth removal. Two months ago, Chuck (our elderly dog who's become more and more aggressive when... (24071 views)

Swollen vulva. My dog was in heat a few months ago and her vagina is still swollen. What shouldI... (35053 views)

Does dog saliva heal a wound? Is there any truth to the old wive's tale that when your dog instinctlively licks a... (7615 views)

Is clostridium zoonotic? Clostridium Type A has been known to cause sudden death in healthy deer but it has... (7739 views)

Too aggressive petting? My cat enjoys having his bum smacked over and over. Hard. He's neutered male - he... (15462 views)

Vomiting diabetic cat. Hello Dr. We have a 17yr old male diabetic cat who throws up a nasty brown liquid... (31960 views)

Cat falling over. for the last while my cat is having a hard time walking and is falling over. When he... (18715 views)

Quiet after dentistry. Good morning...this may be lengthy...sorry. Despite my cats advanced age of 17,... (5300 views)

Time to put dog to sleep? My dog is very old and has been Very skinny the past month, But yesterday he lost... (6898 views)

Effects of tobacco on dogs. wat happens wen u feed ur dog a piece of levi garrett tabacco wit his... (9801 views)