Sudden death.

Breed: Domestic Shorthair
My 3-yr old robust, healthy male house cat suddenly dropped dead in the middle of the night. No symptons of anything wrong, no eating problems, no urinating or defacating problems, no vomiting, coughing or breathing problems. What could it have been? When I found him, he had white, bubbling foam coming out of one nostril and a clear, slimy, foul smelling discharge with a small reddish discharge coming out of the other nostril. His mouth was slightly open and dry. Could this be indicative of a respiratory problem, stroke, blood clot, heart attack or something else? His sudden, inexplicable death is so troublesome to me and causing me difficulty in accepting it. Can you give me any ideas what might have caused it? Thank you.

The most common reason for an apparently healthy cat to die suddenly is a condition called HCM (hypertrophic cardiomyopathy). This is a condition where the walls of the heart are too thick. Cats can go from totally healthy to suddenly in heart failure and death in minutes.

However, one thing that doesn't fit with HCM is the foul discharge from his nose. This sounds like there could have been something else going on. A few possibilities include electrocution (i.e. from chewing on a wire) or aspirating an object into his lungs.

Ultimately the only way to know would be to have a post mortem exam done.

I'm so sorry for your loss!

Possible distemper or kennel cough. I adopted Bub from the SPCA on August 13 and he was taken to the Vet on Aug 17 for... (11071 views)

Cat attacking his tail. my cat started attacking his tail sometimes making it bleed..we took him to the vet... (10847 views)

Chihuahua with hair loss. Hey Dr.Marie. I'm writing to you about my puppy chihuahua. Sooty. She has just... (10845 views)

Should I breed my dog? I would like my dog to have puppies one time before I get her spayed. The puppies... (5702 views)

Cat has swollen foot. I took my cat to the vet bc he was limping and they said he may have cut his foot... (7119 views)

Facial lymph nodes on a dog. My puppy has a lump under each eye. Almost like a gland. I have no clue, maybe tumor... (24755 views)

Possible asthma My 7 year old cat has always had frequent hairballs. I have always suspected he had... (15709 views)

Balding on legs and belly. My cat is bald on the back of her legs and losing hair on her belly as... (14022 views)

How to get a guinea pig to lose weight Hi Dr. Marie: Recently I took my sow guinea pig Squeaky to have her nails trimmed.... (6736 views)

Addison's disease? I've seen a few questions where people ask about what could have happened to their... (62909 views)