Sudden death.

Breed: Domestic Shorthair
My 3-yr old robust, healthy male house cat suddenly dropped dead in the middle of the night. No symptons of anything wrong, no eating problems, no urinating or defacating problems, no vomiting, coughing or breathing problems. What could it have been? When I found him, he had white, bubbling foam coming out of one nostril and a clear, slimy, foul smelling discharge with a small reddish discharge coming out of the other nostril. His mouth was slightly open and dry. Could this be indicative of a respiratory problem, stroke, blood clot, heart attack or something else? His sudden, inexplicable death is so troublesome to me and causing me difficulty in accepting it. Can you give me any ideas what might have caused it? Thank you.

The most common reason for an apparently healthy cat to die suddenly is a condition called HCM (hypertrophic cardiomyopathy). This is a condition where the walls of the heart are too thick. Cats can go from totally healthy to suddenly in heart failure and death in minutes.

However, one thing that doesn't fit with HCM is the foul discharge from his nose. This sounds like there could have been something else going on. A few possibilities include electrocution (i.e. from chewing on a wire) or aspirating an object into his lungs.

Ultimately the only way to know would be to have a post mortem exam done.

I'm so sorry for your loss!

Puppy not eating. Hello my 7 month old pup just recently started to eat less. This just started 2... (22076 views)

Give thyroid medicine? Hi there, I live in a remote northern community and we do not have a vet here. My... (7435 views)

How to remove stitches Hi Thanks for the feedback last week. Your advice saved our dogs life. Ok we... (25099 views)

Peeing on walls. Okay,I have a female spayed 2 year old cat and never sprayed walls and peed walls.... (13736 views)

Dachshund not feeling well. Dr, We have a new baby girl and Primo has slept in our bed since he was a puppy,... (9124 views)

Itchy cat. My cat is male, age 5 and generally very healthy. A while ago I noticed him biting... (7890 views)

Lump on dog's leg. Hi Dr. Marie! Spanky is 5 years old and very healthy. His energy is good and, as... (39361 views)

Ear mites? My cat has been scratching at it's ear and itching it. I think he has ear mites. I... (9731 views)

Connection between dandruff and diabetes? My pet has recently been diagnosed with Diabetes. She is on 5 units of insulin 2x... (15380 views)

Expensive fecal exam. Hello Dr. Marie, My question is about a vet bill that I got yesterday and I... (39746 views)