Guinea pig-Scab and itchy.

Breed: abbisian
my guinea pig is scratching a sore what is wrong with her

There are a few things that can cause a guinea pig to be itchy and have sores.

The most common is a parasite called trixacarus caviae. This is a type of mange. It can also be contagious to people. I know, because I got it from a guinea pig and was VERY itchy.

It's also possible that she has ringworm which is a fungal infection.

A bacterial skin infection is possible but not as common.

Some guinea pigs can have serious skin problems if they are not getting enough Vitamin C. Be sure she is on a good guinea pig food that has been bought no more than 3 months ago.

None of these problems can be treated at home, so it sounds like Sinclair will need to see a vet.

I hope she feels better soon!

Rectovaginal fistula. We have a litter of 4 wk old Doberman puppies being bottle raised because mom was... (10943 views)

Separation anxiety. Dear Dr. Marie, My family and I adopted Champ, who is a 2 1/2 year old... (7065 views)

Dog cowers and pees. my dog seems afraid of me when i call her over she cowers and pees when she walks... (13247 views)

Vomiting kitten. My 4 week kitten was abandoned by his mom when he was a few days old. He is very... (5886 views)

10 month puppy with heartworm. I am considering adopting a 10 month old puppy from the SPCA and was told he was... (12471 views)

Vomiting and diarrhea with blood. Our family pet has been vomitting all day and there seemed to be blood in it and... (10536 views)

Is ketoconazole safe? Hi. My 6 y/o Papillon has suffered fron skin problems his whole life. I've been told... (5077 views)

My cat died. My cat was found dead by a neighbour on a grass verge about 10ft from the road on... (10907 views)

Lump on dog's lip. I have contacted you several times about my dog, Honey. I tend to over think things,... (70538 views)

Possible silent heat. She went into heat last year in August for the first time. She has not gone into... (13156 views)