Guinea pig-Scab and itchy.

Breed: abbisian
my guinea pig is scratching a sore what is wrong with her

There are a few things that can cause a guinea pig to be itchy and have sores.

The most common is a parasite called trixacarus caviae. This is a type of mange. It can also be contagious to people. I know, because I got it from a guinea pig and was VERY itchy.

It's also possible that she has ringworm which is a fungal infection.

A bacterial skin infection is possible but not as common.

Some guinea pigs can have serious skin problems if they are not getting enough Vitamin C. Be sure she is on a good guinea pig food that has been bought no more than 3 months ago.

None of these problems can be treated at home, so it sounds like Sinclair will need to see a vet.

I hope she feels better soon!

Diarrhea and not eating. My saluki started with a foul smelling yellow diarrhea. Then she slowly stopped... (7728 views)

Laryngeal paralysis and vomiting. my dog gags and coughs when he eats and also eats mulch and grass and subsequently... (14387 views)

Discoid lupus treatment. Hi. I live in rural Peru. After many wrong diagnoses, a vet here diagnosed Diego... (13969 views)

Runny soft stools. Rocky is 7 weeks old, has been eating the same food and now his feces has become... (13236 views)

Border collie leg problems? Hi Doctor, from Surrey in The UK, We have a gorgeous Border Collie pup. We think... (17903 views)

Does Vick's Vapo rub help cat's breathing? My vet says my cat has a sinus tumor and a Iwas wondering if vicks would help him to... (43593 views)

Dog on You Don't Mess with the Zohan. ok im very stressed what type of dog is on the movie You Don't Mess With The Zohan?... (19586 views)

Sore hips in 1 year old cat. I have a 1 year old cat and she has had "stiff back legs" since we got her at 8... (16125 views)

Guinea Pig Pregnancy info. Hi, i bought a guinea pig from a pet store about a month ago and now, i think shes... (17454 views)

Sick cat. HI. MY cat has been sick for the last two months or so. The last few weeks however,... (13781 views)