Guinea pig-Scab and itchy.

Breed: abbisian
my guinea pig is scratching a sore what is wrong with her

There are a few things that can cause a guinea pig to be itchy and have sores.

The most common is a parasite called trixacarus caviae. This is a type of mange. It can also be contagious to people. I know, because I got it from a guinea pig and was VERY itchy.

It's also possible that she has ringworm which is a fungal infection.

A bacterial skin infection is possible but not as common.

Some guinea pigs can have serious skin problems if they are not getting enough Vitamin C. Be sure she is on a good guinea pig food that has been bought no more than 3 months ago.

None of these problems can be treated at home, so it sounds like Sinclair will need to see a vet.

I hope she feels better soon!

Older dog losing weight. I have Sheppard/Lab mixed breed about 13 years old. She is a large dog and has been... (75293 views)

Lymph node enlargement. Lola was diagnosed with stage III-IVa (b cell) lymphoma a few months ago. Today was... (5382 views)

Bleeding and then death. What would make a dog bleed soliva, loose muskle control, keep it from eating,... (14389 views)

Cat with bump on skin. My 5 year old cat has a small bump on the back of his neck. It moves with the skin... (11325 views)

Questions about spay. I have an appointment to get Gracie spayed on the 17th and had a few questions. ... (16094 views)

Pancreatic enzymes. How do we handle a situation when we unexpectely temporaryly are without the... (8294 views)

Is this a flea problem? My small 3 year old in door cat very recently survived a bout with flea anemia. We... (9670 views)

Puppy is leaking urine. Im concerned about my puppy frequent and what seems to be lack of urin control. The... (20502 views)

Did I do the right thing? Hello, I have been grieving because a few days ago I had my cat euthanized. I am... (29328 views)

Puppy throwing up 3 days. My kids brought home a new puppy I have no money she has been here for 2 weeks I... (8353 views)