Guinea pig-Scab and itchy.

Breed: abbisian
my guinea pig is scratching a sore what is wrong with her

There are a few things that can cause a guinea pig to be itchy and have sores.

The most common is a parasite called trixacarus caviae. This is a type of mange. It can also be contagious to people. I know, because I got it from a guinea pig and was VERY itchy.

It's also possible that she has ringworm which is a fungal infection.

A bacterial skin infection is possible but not as common.

Some guinea pigs can have serious skin problems if they are not getting enough Vitamin C. Be sure she is on a good guinea pig food that has been bought no more than 3 months ago.

None of these problems can be treated at home, so it sounds like Sinclair will need to see a vet.

I hope she feels better soon!

Beagle Pain Syndrome? My 10 year old beagle in November had an ear infection that caused him to develop... (12949 views)

Not using litter box. All of a sudden my cat, has decided to use her litterbox to urinate only. She will... (8513 views)

Itchy between anus and penis. My dog is licking/scratching a lot in the area between his anus and his penis. It's... (30782 views)

Puppies with dandruff. We got 5 puppies from a friend of mine and the puppies have hair loss itching and it... (6410 views)

Seizures in a Yorkie. This past Monday she had an episode where she went limp and wasn't responsive to her... (21115 views)

Spaying an older dog. My dog is 10 years old and has had 2 litters of puppies. I would like to have her... (6958 views)

Cat attacked by dogs. We have 5 dogs and 4 cats (mostly rescues) who have grown up together and have... (29258 views)

Supraglan for Cushing's? My dog was recently diagnosed with Cushing's disease. He has been drinking a lot of... (15610 views)

Meibomian gland adenoma. Tessa has a little black growth on her eyelid. My vet has said it's a tumor and... (13709 views)

Wobbly lab. Hello - About 4 weeks ago, Koda started acting very stiff around his neck so we... (13305 views)