Guinea pig-Scab and itchy.

Breed: abbisian
my guinea pig is scratching a sore what is wrong with her

There are a few things that can cause a guinea pig to be itchy and have sores.

The most common is a parasite called trixacarus caviae. This is a type of mange. It can also be contagious to people. I know, because I got it from a guinea pig and was VERY itchy.

It's also possible that she has ringworm which is a fungal infection.

A bacterial skin infection is possible but not as common.

Some guinea pigs can have serious skin problems if they are not getting enough Vitamin C. Be sure she is on a good guinea pig food that has been bought no more than 3 months ago.

None of these problems can be treated at home, so it sounds like Sinclair will need to see a vet.

I hope she feels better soon!

Flea Allergy Hello Shelby has two to three spots that she has been licking and chewing on by... (13692 views)

Incontinent after exercise. Sporadically over the course of the past year or 15 months Keeley will have... (26005 views)

Rat Lifespan? Sick rat. My 3 yr old rat is sick. His skin feels cold, breathing is rapid and labored, eyes... (12054 views)

Is this dog cryptorchid? Jupiter is 71/2 months old. At 8 weeks vet noted both testicles desended. At 5... (23962 views)

Dog eating dirt. My dog consumes grass and now wants to eat dirt when outside exercising despite a... (18543 views)

Itchy dog. This is a follow on of a question past #2740. Choo Choo's itch has continued all... (8122 views)

Tough upper respiratory infection. We picked up Indigo from a breeder on June 13th. He sneezed occasionally throughout... (29598 views)

How to socialize fearful dog. how do you socialize a fearful dog? this dog I have will not go by anyone, if I walk... (12701 views)

9 month old puppy pregnant? My puppy is only 9 months old and she was in heat for her first time. Her father was... (41676 views)

Swelling on ear. My 2 year old male beagle has a bump on his outer ear flap which resembles the post... (9073 views)