Guinea pig-Scab and itchy.

Breed: abbisian
my guinea pig is scratching a sore what is wrong with her

There are a few things that can cause a guinea pig to be itchy and have sores.

The most common is a parasite called trixacarus caviae. This is a type of mange. It can also be contagious to people. I know, because I got it from a guinea pig and was VERY itchy.

It's also possible that she has ringworm which is a fungal infection.

A bacterial skin infection is possible but not as common.

Some guinea pigs can have serious skin problems if they are not getting enough Vitamin C. Be sure she is on a good guinea pig food that has been bought no more than 3 months ago.

None of these problems can be treated at home, so it sounds like Sinclair will need to see a vet.

I hope she feels better soon!

Biopsy? Dr, As you know Max has been having issues with vomiting and soft stools. 9... (8742 views)

Bloody diarrhea. Hi Marie its 630 and there is no open vet or petstore/grooming in site =( then i... (50291 views)

Ovarian remnant Hi, We have a spayed cat that has been showing signs of being on heat on and off... (10417 views)

Dog eating dirt. My dog consumes grass and now wants to eat dirt when outside exercising despite a... (17151 views)

Dog eats grass and vomits Hi Marie! My Germen Spitz(male) eats some grass while he is out and vomits.Avoids... (9925 views)

Puppy is very hyper. Gracey was born on July 6th..so she will be six months soon. We have had dogs all... (8325 views)

Urinating in house. Bella has started urinating in places other than her litter box. She has not been... (5125 views)

Dog with colonic tumor. Hi - Our nearly 11 year old male yellow lab has had quite a week. He has been... (19779 views)

Chronic diarrhea. Hi, My 2 1/2 year old Siberian has had chronic diarrhea for the past 4 weeks.... (12639 views)

Puppy sleeps all the time. Hi, We just got our puppy Marley on Sunday, 16. He is eating and drinking, and is 7... (9995 views)