Dog spinning and bothered

Breed: jack russell
My dog doesn't have flea's but acts like he is being bothered by something. He spin's and seems to be very miserable. He does this every year around this time. We have tried shampoos and sprays to keeping him from itching but nothing works. What can we do to help him?

While I can't say for sure, it sounds like your dog may be having issues with his anal glands. These little sacs sit on either side of the anus and can fill up with fluid. We don't really know why this happens.

When they get really full they are itchy and they can cause the dog to be quite irritated.

In most cases I recommend having your vet empty the glands. While some groomers (and some owners) can do them, it is usually better to have your vet do them. Your vet can tell you if there is an infection present in the glands or something more serious like an abscess.

It is also possible that there is irritation around the anus possibly due to allergies. But, what you are describing sounds typical of anal gland problems.

Can puppy go outside? I was just wondering when it is okay to take Marley for walkes? He only has his... (10325 views)

Beagle Pain Syndrome? My 10 year old beagle in November had an ear infection that caused him to develop... (16742 views)

Older dog having seizures. My 10.5 year old chocolate lab had three seizures in 12 hours in October. He's... (16317 views)

Information on parvo virus. Hello dr., I am a senior in high school doing a senior project and my topic... (18178 views)

Corn in dog food. I have heard that corn is bad in dog food. Also that alfalfa, brewers yeast, and... (15562 views)

Dog pees in the house. Woody has been peeing when I have gone to work in the bedroom. I take him out... (8619 views)

Tumor on a guinea pig. Hi Marie, My daughter's 14 month old guinea pig has a tumor with a thick, scaly... (13765 views)

Lepto from mice? I live in New York City, in an apartment. Two days ago, I left Honey's food out on... (14930 views)

Wobbly after back surgery. My little dog, pumpkin, had surgery for a 'blown disc' 2-1/2 years. She attempts to... (8490 views)

Does Hartz flea treatment work? My dogs have gotten fleas and I've been putting Hartz flea treatment on them but it... (16547 views)