Dog spinning and bothered

Breed: jack russell
My dog doesn't have flea's but acts like he is being bothered by something. He spin's and seems to be very miserable. He does this every year around this time. We have tried shampoos and sprays to keeping him from itching but nothing works. What can we do to help him?

While I can't say for sure, it sounds like your dog may be having issues with his anal glands. These little sacs sit on either side of the anus and can fill up with fluid. We don't really know why this happens.

When they get really full they are itchy and they can cause the dog to be quite irritated.

In most cases I recommend having your vet empty the glands. While some groomers (and some owners) can do them, it is usually better to have your vet do them. Your vet can tell you if there is an infection present in the glands or something more serious like an abscess.

It is also possible that there is irritation around the anus possibly due to allergies. But, what you are describing sounds typical of anal gland problems.

Kittens with diarrhea We have kept the 5 kittens born to our momma cat. [they will be "fixed" when it is... (11404 views)

Licking at lump on leg. Hi! My name is Sachiyo Ono and I have a question about my pet. I am only 14 so I... (27720 views)

Does my dog have cushing's? Hi Dr. Marie, I took my almost 10 y/o lab to the vet because she has been waking... (6787 views)

Cat has lump on neck. hi dr marie my cat abby has been bitten or posioned on her neck first it was a big... (14562 views)

Sore gums in chihuahua. My dog's gums are very sensitive. I tried brushing them and on the right side, they... (11231 views)

Rapid breathing in sleep. My 8 week old puppy breathes very rapidly whenever she falls asleep like she is out... (119311 views)

High ALKP and bile acids. Hi Dr. Marie I value your opinion so much and I do respect and understand that... (17371 views)

Cat doesn't want to move. My cats bio: July was infested with fleas. Took two months to totally rid them from... (6938 views)

Severe arthritis and leaking urine. Hi we have a 13 year old dog with long term hip dysplasia. he has cartrophen once a... (14022 views)

Older cat not eating. Hi.I have had my cat for approximately. She has been sick and has lost a lot of... (25803 views)