Dog spinning and bothered

Breed: jack russell
My dog doesn't have flea's but acts like he is being bothered by something. He spin's and seems to be very miserable. He does this every year around this time. We have tried shampoos and sprays to keeping him from itching but nothing works. What can we do to help him?

While I can't say for sure, it sounds like your dog may be having issues with his anal glands. These little sacs sit on either side of the anus and can fill up with fluid. We don't really know why this happens.

When they get really full they are itchy and they can cause the dog to be quite irritated.

In most cases I recommend having your vet empty the glands. While some groomers (and some owners) can do them, it is usually better to have your vet do them. Your vet can tell you if there is an infection present in the glands or something more serious like an abscess.

It is also possible that there is irritation around the anus possibly due to allergies. But, what you are describing sounds typical of anal gland problems.

Abscess or Cancer? My 8 year old shih tzu had raptured disks surgery five months ago. He was on wheel... (11288 views)

Dog has the runs. my dog has the... (21895 views)

Cat with hyperthyroidism. Hi again! I spoke to you last week regarding the bad behavior of my cat. She has... (25914 views)

Allergic reaction and diarrhea. Dr, My 3 1/2 year old basset hound is having multiple issues that in my best... (12741 views)

Drinking more and thirsty LILI, 7.5 YRS OLD, HAS STARTED WETTING HER BED AND SHE HAS AN UNENDING THIRST AND... (17558 views)

Contagious seizures. Blake is a 2yr old German shepherd that started having epileptic fits in june 2010.... (14063 views)

Lyme vaccine and testing. Hi, I took missy to the vet yesterday for her lyme vaccination booster shot and then... (14675 views)

Multiple mast cell tumors. Hi Marie, it says that my question has been answered, but I do not know how to... (21610 views)

Bad rash on neck. One of our neighborhood cats has a really bad looking rash all over his neck. Here... (20395 views)

Puppy ate vomit. my dog is crying and has a fever and is very sluggish my wife is pregnant and going... (13991 views)