Dog spinning and bothered

Breed: jack russell
My dog doesn't have flea's but acts like he is being bothered by something. He spin's and seems to be very miserable. He does this every year around this time. We have tried shampoos and sprays to keeping him from itching but nothing works. What can we do to help him?

While I can't say for sure, it sounds like your dog may be having issues with his anal glands. These little sacs sit on either side of the anus and can fill up with fluid. We don't really know why this happens.

When they get really full they are itchy and they can cause the dog to be quite irritated.

In most cases I recommend having your vet empty the glands. While some groomers (and some owners) can do them, it is usually better to have your vet do them. Your vet can tell you if there is an infection present in the glands or something more serious like an abscess.

It is also possible that there is irritation around the anus possibly due to allergies. But, what you are describing sounds typical of anal gland problems.

Wheezing cat. My cat is wheezing. Because he is 15 now I was not suprised. But then it grew worse.... (14506 views)

Baby shampoo for a cat? My cat accidentally got pee on himself after we had to take him somewhere in his... (16181 views)

Swollen ankle. On 4/10/12 our dog was running down the hallway as usual and slipped as usual cause... (4743 views)

Puppy knuckling on back legs. Hi I have a pug who is 5 months old, he was fine until about 2 week ago. He started... (7849 views)

Too small for spay? My cat is really small, about nine ten pounds,is it safe to get her... (7391 views)

Dog bleeding from nose and died. This might seem unnecessary and irrelevant now, but maybe even shedding a little... (71229 views)

Mast cell tumors on penis. I have a healthy 11 yr old Chihuahua named Tyson who has mitotic cancer/mast cell... (15453 views)

Vomiting kittens. I have two kittens, 6 mo. today. Both have received all vaccinations/shots. We had... (15097 views)

Grapeseed extract and dogs. Grape seed extract listed on some chicken jerky treats from china when looking after... (11410 views)

Can't move back legs. My cat could not get up using its back legs. Her front legs were working but she... (31269 views)