Low fat foods and tripe for pancreatitis.

Breed: Golden Retriever
My 3 yr old Golden who was on Orijen for 2 years had a pancreatitis attack about 6 weeks ago.

She has been on Purina EN and I want her off the food. The Vet said ok but to keep her on a low fat diet 10% I think.

My question is the protein.
Champion Foods who make Acana/Orijen has a quality food (Acana) that is 10% fat but 35% protein. I heard that it is not the protein to worry about but the fat levels.
I think that is too much protein.

Holistic Blend has about 27% protein and low fat which seems good. I have asked several professional people and nobody can agree or give an uniform answer. I am confused about the protein levels for a dog who had a pancreatitis attack.

I know to transition her slowly but also wondering if I could use green trippe if that would help.

And is canned food more digestible for her now than kibble, or can we mix at same meal?

I know this is more than one question. If you need more money, please let me know.

Thanks for an interesting question!

When we are feeding a dog with a history of pancreatitis, the most important thing we look at is using a food that is low fat. High levels of fat can trigger off pancreatitis in some animals.

You've asked a good question about the protein levels.

Here are the levels of protein that veterinary nutritionists recommend for dog foods:

• For dogs with kidney problems - 12-16% protein.

• For healthy adult dogs - 20-22% protein.

• For puppies - 25-30% protein.

So yes, 35% protein seems like a lot. With that being said, a high protein food is not harmful in an animal with normal kidneys. So, if Shaylea does well on this food it should be ok.

I did some research for you on tripe. This is one of the reasons why I love answering questions online - because I am always learning things!

There is a connection between tripe and the pancreas, but it is not recommended for dogs that are prone to pancreatitis. If you are feeding raw tripe, it is believed that the enzymes in the tripe can help animals that have a condition called exocrine pancreatic insufficiency. This is a problem where the pancreas is not producing enzymes and dogs have trouble digesting their food. However, in this case, the Green Tripette food is not raw but rather it is heated and processed and any live enzymes would be destroyed.

So why is tripe not good for pancreatitis? Tripe is high in protein (around 40%) but there are no carbs which means that tripe has about 60% fat. That is a lot of fat! If you were feeding significant amounts of tripe to a dog who was prone to pancreatitis you could very easily trigger an attack of pancreatitis.

It's hard to say whether canned or kibble food is better. They both have their benefits, but one doesn't outweigh the other when it comes to pancreatitis.

I hope this answers your questions!

I did not know that trippett or tripe was so high in fat. Wow. I was not going to give her raw but just thought it would help aid her digestion in transitioning her old food to her new food. So thank u for that info.
She had the test for pancreatic insufficiency and thankfully does not have that.

I will try to find a moderate protein then. She does not have kidney problems.

The only other thing is if I wanted to use canned with kibble, just because the can says for example 8% fat, now I realize that does not mean a true 8% low fat. Apparently there is a formula to convert to dry matter and will therefore become higher than I thought. Finding a good quality low fat can might be hard.

I understand I need to transition slow, just wondering if I need to add any probiotics etc. to help her adjust and if so what kind.

I am definitely a fan of probiotics. They never hurt. I tend to use them though only if a dog has diarrhea.

The priobiotics that I use the most are Florentero and Forti-Flora. Both are available through your vet.

Rat lost his brother. My rat has lost his brother will he be ok i am not getting another... (11728 views)

Gunky eyes in kittens. Hello, We have four newborn kittens--19 days old. One died 2 days ago--we... (9609 views)

Cat with bald belly. Our cat (6 years old) has bitten off the hair on her stomach. Our vet (in Latvia)... (12211 views)

Cat straining and in pain. Last night, my cat began meowing as if she was about to vomit but was acting as if... (26428 views)

Dog died after coughing. Hi, My name is Tania. I had a Maltese/Shih tzu 12 years old. She had a stage one... (9482 views)

Bleeding and then death. What would make a dog bleed soliva, loose muskle control, keep it from eating,... (14389 views)

Dog attacked by javelina. My dog got attacked by a javelina.. shes bleeding from her nose and mouth, what... (8692 views)

Large liver and spleen. Male cat 10 yo & neutered has enlarged pancreas and spleen, slightly enlarged liver.... (21644 views)

Increase in dog's thirst and urination. My dog has been acting fuuny the past few nights he wakes me up 2-3 times a night to... (9301 views)

Tapeworm pictures in a dog. I just discovered my dog has worms in her poop. She sleeps on our bed and where she... (36536 views)