OK to keep cats in a small room?

Breed: Tabby Cats
I am concerned for two cats that I know. They live in a house where they are confined to one room that does contain a litter box, food, and water. However, the room that they are confined in is also a person's bedroom. This person has used kleenex, dirty dishes (that do grow mold), wrappers from food, and piles of unwashed laundry lying everywhere on the floor. I know the cats don't have enough room to exercise, but could this living situation affect the cats in any other way?

This is an interesting question.

For a while, when I was in university I lived in a one bedroom room in a boarding house. Although I was likely a little more clean than what you described, my dog and my cat lived with me in this tiny room.

Although what you are describing is not the ideal situation, it's likely not harmful for the cats. They're not likely to touch the mold and really the dirty laundry and food wrappers are not going to harm a cat.

In my opinion, what cats need in order to be happy is appropriate nutrition and love. As long as your friend is able to provide those things, the cats really should be ok.

Cat is getting lazy. Not urgent. Snowy used to play with paper and bottle tops and whatever else he could... (9659 views)

Cat has swollen foot. I took my cat to the vet bc he was limping and they said he may have cut his foot... (3722 views)

PU surgery on a cat? Hi Dr. Marie , I hope you can help me with my cat, Jack. He is 1 ½ years old and... (7124 views)

Clear discharge from eye. Hi there, My one year old cat has had a slight watery discharge from her left eye... (8805 views)

Canine tooth extracted. My cat recently underwent a procedure to remove her broken, upper right canine. It... (4112 views)

Can't put weight on his leg. my pit bull is shaking all over a refusing to put weight on his back leg what should... (23369 views)

Metacam safety questions. Please can you advise regarding the use of Metacam injection with other drugs? I am... (11409 views)

Dog eats grass and vomits Hi Marie! My Germen Spitz(male) eats some grass while he is out and vomits.Avoids... (7657 views)

Kittens with diarrhea We have kept the 5 kittens born to our momma cat. [they will be "fixed" when it is... (8172 views)

Wart on a cat? Hello. I found a small bump on my cat's throat a few months ago. It has gotten... (11487 views)