OK to keep cats in a small room?

Breed: Tabby Cats
I am concerned for two cats that I know. They live in a house where they are confined to one room that does contain a litter box, food, and water. However, the room that they are confined in is also a person's bedroom. This person has used kleenex, dirty dishes (that do grow mold), wrappers from food, and piles of unwashed laundry lying everywhere on the floor. I know the cats don't have enough room to exercise, but could this living situation affect the cats in any other way?

This is an interesting question.

For a while, when I was in university I lived in a one bedroom room in a boarding house. Although I was likely a little more clean than what you described, my dog and my cat lived with me in this tiny room.

Although what you are describing is not the ideal situation, it's likely not harmful for the cats. They're not likely to touch the mold and really the dirty laundry and food wrappers are not going to harm a cat.

In my opinion, what cats need in order to be happy is appropriate nutrition and love. As long as your friend is able to provide those things, the cats really should be ok.

Perianal fistula Dear Dr Marie, My baby doggie, Mushka, has developed small pimple-sized boils... (11780 views)

Swollen vulva. "I have a female Rat Terrier who is 6 months old and I was wondering if its normal... (21800 views)

Diarrhea question. My 10 year old malamute just got up off the living room floor, leaving behind a... (6480 views)

Brain tumor or epilepsy? Hi Dr. Marie I have a yellow lab named Sam He experienced seizures twice... (8283 views)

Sentry Pro Flea and Tick Shampoo Hi Dr. Marie, Last night around 8 pm I gave my dog a bath with Sentry Pro flea... (21055 views)

Vomiting kitten. My 4 week kitten was abandoned by his mom when he was a few days old. He is very... (3851 views)

Vaccine squirted onto skin. OK... I have a Maltese and yorkie that I was giving their second vaccine 5 in 1, and... (14601 views)

Lump on dog's chest. My dog has a lump on the right side of his chest. (I think it's his chest. It's an... (17007 views)

Pooping and peeing outside of box. I own two cats and they're both litter box trained but today my oldest cat pooped... (5728 views)

Black spot or scab on dog's nose. Hello I noticed a few days ago my beagle has a black bump above his snout, my sister... (18468 views)