Goat's milk for puppies.

Breed: Yorkshire terrier
Is goat's milk good to give nursing puppies? My puppies won't nurse and I was told that goat's milk is very healthy for them.

Actually, goat's milk is not good to give to nursing puppies. It is too low in protein and fat and too high in lactose. Most dogs are lactose intolerant.

There is a current belief going around the internet that goat's milk is excellent for dogs, especially raw goat's milk and this simply isn't true. Feeding raw milk comes with all sorts of risks for bacterial contamination.

If you were stuck for a day or two, goat's milk is better than nothing. But, I would much prefer that you buy a commercially made milk replacer for puppies. You can buy these at any pet store or veterinarian and sometimes WalMart.

Skin lesion on gerbil. can you recommend a treatment for what appears to be a hot spot or skin irritation... (7160 views)

Cat has poop stuck to bum. My cat was a rescue from a pet hoarder and was taken too young from her mother. She... (10673 views)

Poop is sometimes solid, sometimes soft. Hi Dr Marie, I'm not sure if this is even an issue. Max poops first thing in... (102795 views)

Older dog having seizures. My 10.5 year old chocolate lab had three seizures in 12 hours in October. He's... (15910 views)

Black spot or scab on dog's nose. Hello I noticed a few days ago my beagle has a black bump above his snout, my sister... (36947 views)

Dog shedding. Why is our dog shedding so... (9433 views)

Laryngeal paralysis. Hi Dr. I have an 11 year old lab that has had breathing problems for some time now.... (19369 views)

Cat won't pee or poop. Hi there, I have a nine year old DLH female cat. For 5 years now she has had... (25168 views)

Time for euthanasia? I am trying to make the decision on putting my dog down. She no long is herself and... (16049 views)

Is my dog in pain? Hi dr, Marie, I'm the one that asked about the papaya leaf for... (5086 views)