Goat's milk for puppies.

Breed: Yorkshire terrier
Is goat's milk good to give nursing puppies? My puppies won't nurse and I was told that goat's milk is very healthy for them.

Actually, goat's milk is not good to give to nursing puppies. It is too low in protein and fat and too high in lactose. Most dogs are lactose intolerant.

There is a current belief going around the internet that goat's milk is excellent for dogs, especially raw goat's milk and this simply isn't true. Feeding raw milk comes with all sorts of risks for bacterial contamination.

If you were stuck for a day or two, goat's milk is better than nothing. But, I would much prefer that you buy a commercially made milk replacer for puppies. You can buy these at any pet store or veterinarian and sometimes WalMart.

Diarrhea question. My 10 year old malamute just got up off the living room floor, leaving behind a... (8305 views)

Green smelly teeth. Dweeb has greenish slime on her gums and pain when biting. I tried washing it out... (30682 views)

Only one testicle descended. I have a 7 month old male boxer who has only had one of his testicles drop. Can you... (58147 views)

Dog with swollen shoulder. There is something wrong with one side of my dogs shoulder. It looks swollen but if... (18310 views)

Swollen foot because of bandage. Hi- My dog recently cut himself and had to get 4 stitches. The day he was to get... (76859 views)

Rash on dog's chin. I HAVE A 1.6 YEAR OLD GREAT DANE IN GOOD HEALTH. HOWEVER, SHE HAS DEVELOPED A RASH... (14112 views)

Regurgitating water. Hello, Dr Marie. My cocker spaniel just recently started regurgitating water. He... (11552 views)

Why is cat urinating in the house? Hi Dr. Marie, Recently, my one cat Habibi has started urinating outside of the... (5398 views)

Chronic doxycycline use. How many weeks can I safely keep my pug on 100 mg daily of doxycycline... (14624 views)

Chronic diarrhea. Hi, My 2 1/2 year old Siberian has had chronic diarrhea for the past 4 weeks.... (12226 views)