Lumps on cat's abdomen.

Breed: tortie calico
Cubbie recently (1 week) developed two fibrous (?) lumps, one on each side of her lower abdomen. They appeared at the same time, and suddenly. She has had no trauma that I know of. She is an unspayed indoor cat. I thought the lumps were just fatty lumps, but they can be recessed back into the chest cavity with a simple push of the finger. I have been reading up on feline hernias.

Cubbie is in no obvious pain (I know some cats don't show pain as much as we do). She is eating and drinking, urinating, defecating normally. She jumps up on counters and sleeps with me in bed, as always. No pain on palpation. I am taking her to the vet this Tuesday but I wondered if you had any thoughts on the condition. Is surgery always done on hernias? DO you think that is likely her problem? My vet does offer a payment plan, so it can be done. I just am curious what will need to be done. Thanks so much.

This is a tough question to answer without being able to see and touch these lumps, but I can give you a few of my thoughts as to what might be going on.

My first concern would be that these could be some type of mammary tumors. However, it's a little bit odd to have two pop up at the same time. Mammary tumors can be hard to diagnose on a cat. They don't tend to shed cells easily so we can't do the normal type of test where we put a needle into the lump and look at the cells. If your vet suspects a mammary tumor then they will likely recommend surgery to remove them. If they are larger than 1/4 inch or and they do turn out to be cancer then sometimes these can be hard to successfully treat. But, if they are small, then having them removed should cure the problem.

Now, if these are large and soft lumps, they still could be just fatty lumps called lipomas. These are nothing to worry about. I would say that most of the time when a client sees big lumps on the abdomen of a cat they end up being benign fatty lumps.

Hernias would be quite unlikely in a cat of this age, especially if there is no trauma.

An abscess could cause a lump but it would be unlikely to be 2 lumps and it should be a little painful.

I think that the vet visit is a good idea. If these are lipomas then a fine needle aspirate which is quite a simple test should give you the answer.

I hope things are alright!

Get rid of parvo virus. I have a general question about Parvo virus, Its a very very common virus I know,... (25595 views)

Stopped prednisolone suddenly. Hi Dr. Marie, My 2.5 year old cat, Pebbles, was diagnosed with pretty severe... (19730 views)

Howling and very sick. My 13 year old male cat, since yesterday is sick, and I don't know why. Yesterday... (73135 views)

Benadryl for swollen snout? my dogs face around the snout has become swollen not sure why but im guessing its... (20108 views)

Cat has fleas. My poor cat has fleas, he is losing hair and is just miserable. I am looking for a... (4789 views)

Can't pee. Constipation issues too. Hello, My cat has Mega Colon and is being treated with CisaPride 5mg/ml suspension.... (12307 views)

Sick hamster or hibernating. Please help ! My hamster is not moving now but it is breathing.. I am not sure about... (16442 views)

Rectovaginal fistula. We have a litter of 4 wk old Doberman puppies being bottle raised because mom was... (10086 views)

Black spot on tongue. My dog, Bogey, has developed a black spot on his tongue about 3 months ago. It was a... (23510 views)

Magnesium level of food. I have two cats. Casper has urinary tract issues. He is currently on a .085%... (12468 views)