Lumps on cat's abdomen.

Breed: tortie calico
Cubbie recently (1 week) developed two fibrous (?) lumps, one on each side of her lower abdomen. They appeared at the same time, and suddenly. She has had no trauma that I know of. She is an unspayed indoor cat. I thought the lumps were just fatty lumps, but they can be recessed back into the chest cavity with a simple push of the finger. I have been reading up on feline hernias.

Cubbie is in no obvious pain (I know some cats don't show pain as much as we do). She is eating and drinking, urinating, defecating normally. She jumps up on counters and sleeps with me in bed, as always. No pain on palpation. I am taking her to the vet this Tuesday but I wondered if you had any thoughts on the condition. Is surgery always done on hernias? DO you think that is likely her problem? My vet does offer a payment plan, so it can be done. I just am curious what will need to be done. Thanks so much.

This is a tough question to answer without being able to see and touch these lumps, but I can give you a few of my thoughts as to what might be going on.

My first concern would be that these could be some type of mammary tumors. However, it's a little bit odd to have two pop up at the same time. Mammary tumors can be hard to diagnose on a cat. They don't tend to shed cells easily so we can't do the normal type of test where we put a needle into the lump and look at the cells. If your vet suspects a mammary tumor then they will likely recommend surgery to remove them. If they are larger than 1/4 inch or and they do turn out to be cancer then sometimes these can be hard to successfully treat. But, if they are small, then having them removed should cure the problem.

Now, if these are large and soft lumps, they still could be just fatty lumps called lipomas. These are nothing to worry about. I would say that most of the time when a client sees big lumps on the abdomen of a cat they end up being benign fatty lumps.

Hernias would be quite unlikely in a cat of this age, especially if there is no trauma.

An abscess could cause a lump but it would be unlikely to be 2 lumps and it should be a little painful.

I think that the vet visit is a good idea. If these are lipomas then a fine needle aspirate which is quite a simple test should give you the answer.

I hope things are alright!

Is it time to put her down? My dog has degenerative myelopathy and is having trouble getting up, moving around... (24189 views)

Discoid lupus treatment. Hi. I live in rural Peru. After many wrong diagnoses, a vet here diagnosed Diego... (10287 views)

Can't put weight on his leg. my pit bull is shaking all over a refusing to put weight on his back leg what should... (26668 views)

Cat died suddenly. Hi and thank you for your time My son met me at the door in tears as 1.5 year old... (6805 views)

Bad smell on dog. Our doxie gets the worst smell coming from her vagina area. Whatever she sits on,... (106525 views)

Staple in armpit. I just found a surgical staple in my dog's armpit! I'm taking her in first thing in... (4987 views)

Heartworm and MDR1 I rrecently had both dogs genotyped for MDR1 mutation and both are positive. Bella... (6562 views)

Rash in dog's armpits. My boxer has been getting rashes under her front armpits, this is the 4th time it's... (23454 views)

Dog won't gain weight. Our boy, Zidane, was born May 19, 2009, which makes Zidane almost 18 months old. He... (12781 views)

Sneezing guinea pig. My guinea pig is sneezing and wiping her nose more frequntly than she did... (19537 views)