Lumps on cat's abdomen.

Breed: tortie calico
Cubbie recently (1 week) developed two fibrous (?) lumps, one on each side of her lower abdomen. They appeared at the same time, and suddenly. She has had no trauma that I know of. She is an unspayed indoor cat. I thought the lumps were just fatty lumps, but they can be recessed back into the chest cavity with a simple push of the finger. I have been reading up on feline hernias.

Cubbie is in no obvious pain (I know some cats don't show pain as much as we do). She is eating and drinking, urinating, defecating normally. She jumps up on counters and sleeps with me in bed, as always. No pain on palpation. I am taking her to the vet this Tuesday but I wondered if you had any thoughts on the condition. Is surgery always done on hernias? DO you think that is likely her problem? My vet does offer a payment plan, so it can be done. I just am curious what will need to be done. Thanks so much.

This is a tough question to answer without being able to see and touch these lumps, but I can give you a few of my thoughts as to what might be going on.

My first concern would be that these could be some type of mammary tumors. However, it's a little bit odd to have two pop up at the same time. Mammary tumors can be hard to diagnose on a cat. They don't tend to shed cells easily so we can't do the normal type of test where we put a needle into the lump and look at the cells. If your vet suspects a mammary tumor then they will likely recommend surgery to remove them. If they are larger than 1/4 inch or and they do turn out to be cancer then sometimes these can be hard to successfully treat. But, if they are small, then having them removed should cure the problem.

Now, if these are large and soft lumps, they still could be just fatty lumps called lipomas. These are nothing to worry about. I would say that most of the time when a client sees big lumps on the abdomen of a cat they end up being benign fatty lumps.

Hernias would be quite unlikely in a cat of this age, especially if there is no trauma.

An abscess could cause a lump but it would be unlikely to be 2 lumps and it should be a little painful.

I think that the vet visit is a good idea. If these are lipomas then a fine needle aspirate which is quite a simple test should give you the answer.

I hope things are alright!

Chronic doxycycline use. How many weeks can I safely keep my pug on 100 mg daily of doxycycline... (13711 views)

Pitbull is itchy. I have a 4 year old pitbull/lab mix that has been scratching and biting at herself.... (48276 views)

Dog peeing on furniture Skyler is 2 years old and is house broken but sometimes he will come back inside and... (8148 views)

Dog ate Sentinel Shug got into the Sentinel package...pills are missing...what is the... (14653 views)

Sneezing, vomiting, coughing. my cat is sneezing vomiting coughing breathing through his mouth and has hard... (21597 views)

Pregnant if bred when bleeding? I have a golden retriever that's about to be 3years old. She recently mated with... (71425 views)

Blood at end of urine stream. My female dog has had blood in her urine for 2 months. I live in Belize, Central... (15179 views)

Trouble urinating after neuter surgery. Hi Dr, Max was neutered yesterday at 10 am. The nurses said he went to pee 2... (57672 views)

Cat doesn't want to move. My cats bio: July was infested with fleas. Took two months to totally rid them from... (4959 views)

Dog with masticatory myositis. hi my dog has had masticatory myositis last jan and again in april and now has it... (9559 views)