Dog can't jump.

Breed: Shih-tzu
My dog has a hard time standing up from the sitting position. Occasionally, he will limp when he begins to walk, but once he is walking he seems okay. The problem seems to be with his rear legs. He cannot jump, and he needs help standing up. He is eating and drinking fine. He can lay down and sit up, but he isn't very active anymore because of this. This happened a couple of months ago and then stopped, and now it is happening again, but it seems worse this time. Could you give me some advice?

It sounds like Elmo may have a spinal injury. This is relatively common in Shih-tzus.

It really would be best to have your vet examine Elmo. If they feel the problem is minor then they can prescribe anti-inflammatory medication to take as needed.

However, sometimes a back problem can progress so that a disc bulges and pushes up on the spinal cord causing paralysis.

Until you can get him seen do not let him jump or do stairs.

Anal gland problems. Hello. I am a veterinary assistant and I am having an issue with my Cane Corso's... (7336 views)

Xylitol in fruit toxic to dogs? Hello Dr. Marie, I've recently become very aware of the dangers of xylitol with... (30484 views)

How to help constipated cat. Our 10 year old cat is constipated. How can we help her? She tried to use the catbox... (5064 views)

Dog is scratching his ear. For the past couple of weeks, Shilo has been scratching his ear and rubbing it on... (15107 views)

Dog walking in circles my mother in laws dog just started acting real sick today he cant stand up or when... (26119 views)

Basset Hound whining. My basset has seemed to be more whiny latley than usual. I felt around his joints... (8779 views)

Morning after pill for dogs? Is there a "morning after pill" for dogs? ... (27347 views)

Hair loss and black skin. my 15 yr old pomeranian is losing hair in the middle of her back. it just now... (9075 views)

Third eyelids in cats. my cat having an eye problem...her eye close half by some kind of white thing...i... (55555 views)

Sheltie is afraid of people. I have a one year old female Sheltie. she is very nervous around people. She was... (13704 views)