Dog can't jump.

Breed: Shih-tzu
My dog has a hard time standing up from the sitting position. Occasionally, he will limp when he begins to walk, but once he is walking he seems okay. The problem seems to be with his rear legs. He cannot jump, and he needs help standing up. He is eating and drinking fine. He can lay down and sit up, but he isn't very active anymore because of this. This happened a couple of months ago and then stopped, and now it is happening again, but it seems worse this time. Could you give me some advice?

It sounds like Elmo may have a spinal injury. This is relatively common in Shih-tzus.

It really would be best to have your vet examine Elmo. If they feel the problem is minor then they can prescribe anti-inflammatory medication to take as needed.

However, sometimes a back problem can progress so that a disc bulges and pushes up on the spinal cord causing paralysis.

Until you can get him seen do not let him jump or do stairs.

White bumps on anus. Hi Dr. Marie, I know you are quite busy with all your other questions and I am... (25517 views)

21 year old cat is dying. THIS IS URGENt, BUT I DON'T HAVE 15.00 RIGHT NOW!! i THINK MY 21 YEAR OLD CAT IS... (15062 views)

Albendazole for puppy? Long story short my little over 3 month old puppy has Giardia. Sidenote: she goes... (12206 views)

Black lump under cat's eye. Few months ago, there is a small tiny transparent bubble grow under the skin below... (21147 views)

Healthy cat died suddenly. Why did my cat die? I came home from work today to find that my cat had died. I... (32315 views)

Bromonidine (like amitraz) toxicity. MY DOG SWALLOWED SOME BRIMONIDINE TARTRATE OPHTHALMIC 5 ML SHE IS VERY WEAK AND... (17946 views)

old dog is peeing in the house. spot is 17 and has started weeing in house constantley even when we have doors open... (23958 views)

Cat has scabs on neck. Hi! My cat wont stop scratching himself..he is an indoor cat and it just randomly... (14945 views)

Aggressive cat My cat attacked me out of the blue today. This is very much out of character for... (28070 views)

Dwarf hamsters fighting. HI DOC. , I HAVE 2 DWARF HAMSTERS FEMALES , WHICH I BOUGHT TOGETHER AT A VERY... (16951 views)