Dog can't jump.

Breed: Shih-tzu
My dog has a hard time standing up from the sitting position. Occasionally, he will limp when he begins to walk, but once he is walking he seems okay. The problem seems to be with his rear legs. He cannot jump, and he needs help standing up. He is eating and drinking fine. He can lay down and sit up, but he isn't very active anymore because of this. This happened a couple of months ago and then stopped, and now it is happening again, but it seems worse this time. Could you give me some advice?

It sounds like Elmo may have a spinal injury. This is relatively common in Shih-tzus.

It really would be best to have your vet examine Elmo. If they feel the problem is minor then they can prescribe anti-inflammatory medication to take as needed.

However, sometimes a back problem can progress so that a disc bulges and pushes up on the spinal cord causing paralysis.

Until you can get him seen do not let him jump or do stairs.

Cat is sneezing a lot. I have a two year old cat. I adopted her from a shelter last December. When I... (28242 views)

Take temperature orally? My dog is recovering from pretty serious surgery. I am supposed to be taking his... (29122 views)

Lump on hamster's toe. Hey! A week or 2 ago I noticed a tiny reddish pink bump on one of the toes on my... (15279 views)

Dog with swollen shoulder. There is something wrong with one side of my dogs shoulder. It looks swollen but if... (17238 views)

Bladder cancer and can't walk. I accidentally closed the window the first time I got directed here so think that I... (10960 views)

Swollen eye after removal. Hi My 16 month old male pug had his intact left globe removed 10 months ago after... (5263 views)

Limping cat. Hi, My calico cat has been limping for over 6 months, Rt paw. About 3 yrs ago she... (15052 views)

Mass in cat's chest? Hello, My cat, a sterilized indoor-living Japanese Bobtail, is now 4 years old... (17611 views)

Sneezing dog. My 1 year old Chihuahua has been sneezing and reverse sneezing for the last couple... (24537 views)

Advil for arthritis? Can you give advil or store brand anti-inflammatories for arthritis or do you have... (15975 views)