Dog can't jump.

Breed: Shih-tzu
My dog has a hard time standing up from the sitting position. Occasionally, he will limp when he begins to walk, but once he is walking he seems okay. The problem seems to be with his rear legs. He cannot jump, and he needs help standing up. He is eating and drinking fine. He can lay down and sit up, but he isn't very active anymore because of this. This happened a couple of months ago and then stopped, and now it is happening again, but it seems worse this time. Could you give me some advice?

It sounds like Elmo may have a spinal injury. This is relatively common in Shih-tzus.

It really would be best to have your vet examine Elmo. If they feel the problem is minor then they can prescribe anti-inflammatory medication to take as needed.

However, sometimes a back problem can progress so that a disc bulges and pushes up on the spinal cord causing paralysis.

Until you can get him seen do not let him jump or do stairs.

Vomiting yorkie. Abby is 15 months old. She weighs 2.5-3.0 lbs. She is spayed. My question is that... (22599 views)

Toxoplasmosis questions. 1) My cat is an outdoor cat. I know he is at risk for getting the parasite that... (13068 views)

Diarrhea resolves with Cephalexin. Dear Dr. Marie, I’ve been in the throes of a medical mystery with my beloved... (13429 views)

Possible cherry eye? My dog has red bags coming up from under his lower eye lids and covering half his... (7422 views)

Wound on cat's paw. When I got my cat 3yrs ago he had frostbite on his front pads, they healed good. a... (6000 views)

Aggressive cats when in heat. i have 2 cats cocoa & honey & honey jus had kittens but before honey had her kittens... (8534 views)

Vomiting Dog My dog isn't eating, and when she drinks water, she throws it up. Her stomach seems... (10367 views)

Itchy on back. max is a 11yo. Boston terrier about 18pounds. He is in perfect health, according to... (9623 views)

Large mammary lump. Hi Dr Marie My dog Jenna is 13. Lately i have been aware that she has developed a... (9468 views)

Cat is hungry and has swollen tummy. Our cat seems to be hungry all the time, she is spayed, but we have just moved... (26748 views)