Dog can't jump.

Breed: Shih-tzu
My dog has a hard time standing up from the sitting position. Occasionally, he will limp when he begins to walk, but once he is walking he seems okay. The problem seems to be with his rear legs. He cannot jump, and he needs help standing up. He is eating and drinking fine. He can lay down and sit up, but he isn't very active anymore because of this. This happened a couple of months ago and then stopped, and now it is happening again, but it seems worse this time. Could you give me some advice?

It sounds like Elmo may have a spinal injury. This is relatively common in Shih-tzus.

It really would be best to have your vet examine Elmo. If they feel the problem is minor then they can prescribe anti-inflammatory medication to take as needed.

However, sometimes a back problem can progress so that a disc bulges and pushes up on the spinal cord causing paralysis.

Until you can get him seen do not let him jump or do stairs.

Cat is licking himself and has scabs. My cat is licking him self till he bleeds and it's getting so bad that he has... (10281 views)

Click in dog's elbow. Hi Dr. I've noticed that sometimes Max's right elbow will creak as he bends it.... (12468 views)

Male cat nipple problem. My male desexed cat has always had a enlarged nipple. It seems to be getting larger... (18694 views)

Bloated abdomen in hamster. Hi....our pet hamster buddy is extremely bloated. We have had him for a year and a... (79626 views)

Chronic and acute kidney disease. My dog is a 3 and half year old toy poodle. About 3 month before, he was diagnosed... (8724 views)

Overdose of Xanax. Can forty .5 mg pills of Alprazolam Kill a 6 pound chihuahua? came home and found my... (79239 views)

Behavior after having puppies My dog had puppies three weeks ago. She started acting funny and hid underneath the... (14111 views)

Cats not eating. Viral Infection in Throat? I have 3 cats at home (in Singapore, Asia). 1... (11081 views)

Possible pyometra. My dog I believe is in heat but this month instead of a thin red color the discharge... (7840 views)

67 days pregnant. Dog is 67 days pregnant no sign of labor how much longer should i wait before taking... (10722 views)