Normal to cry when put to sleep?

Breed: bolognese
Two weeks ago I put my 18 and three quarter year old dog Bertie to sleep. He would have been 19 at the beg of May.He was actually the oldest Bolognese in the UK.
He was given a sedative by the vet as he was always very nervous when we went there.
When he administered the injection to put him to sleep he let out two high piched cries, which really upset me, as I was not expecting this. The vet told me he would not have felt any pain,but those cries make me think that maybe he may have felt something, they were so shrill and so unexpected particually as he had been sedated! I would just really like your view on this and I do appreciate that this just your opinion!

Many Thanks,

Janine

Oh, I am so sorry that this happened Janine. I have done thousands of euthanasias and unfortunately this type of thing happens every now and then. I estimate it happens about 1% of the time.

As horrible as it is to see this, the good news is that Bertie was definitely not conscious during this episode. The medication that is injected intravenously is an overdose of an anesthetic. The very first thing it does, is very rapidly induces a general anesthetic. Then, the medication works to stop the heart.

When we see a vocalization like this, it is not a conscious activity. Rather, it is a muscle reaction. I have had some dogs whose muscles continue to move for several minutes after they are deceased. It is very common when people die that they will let out a gasp or even a loud noise.

Please know that your vet did nothing wrong and that the chances that Bertie felt anything other than peace and sleep during this incident are extremely small.

I am so sorry for your loss.

Thank you very much for your reassurance!my vet had looked after Bertie for 16years but I didnt think to ask anything at the time because I was too upset!!The positive side is that he had a wonderful life and gave us so much pleasure and unconditional love!
Thank you once again
Best wishes,
Janine Kay

Large lymph nodes in a cat. My cat Miko seems to have swollen lymph nodes under her neck. They've been like that... (42427 views)

Can I feed raw veggies? Is it alright to feed our dog fresh, raw pieces of vegetables-like celery, green... (8255 views)

Red lesion on whippet's leg. Hi there. My whippet gets a little crazy sometimes running in the backyard. I... (6414 views)

Black spot on side of hamster. My hamster is about 2 years old and has always had a black spot on the right side of... (37915 views)

Boxer with distended stomach and pale gums ******Urgent Please******CAN NOT AFFORD UPGRADE [Editor's Note: Questions are... (17867 views)

Sore ears. 6 months ago my Scottish terrier came down with swelling and fluid on right side of... (6303 views)

Dog dying of parvo. sage is well......dying of parvo and i want to know ways to make a dog really happy... (16506 views)

Urinating outside of box. Hi Marie, We spoke briefly this morning about my cat. As I said this morning,... (8377 views)

Is kennel cough contagious to people? hi my 3 year old standard poodle went to the groomer on wed and today he was... (10978 views)

Yellow skin and then died. today my kitten who was a week old and a day past away but when i found him his... (6501 views)