Normal to cry when put to sleep?

Breed: bolognese
Two weeks ago I put my 18 and three quarter year old dog Bertie to sleep. He would have been 19 at the beg of May.He was actually the oldest Bolognese in the UK.
He was given a sedative by the vet as he was always very nervous when we went there.
When he administered the injection to put him to sleep he let out two high piched cries, which really upset me, as I was not expecting this. The vet told me he would not have felt any pain,but those cries make me think that maybe he may have felt something, they were so shrill and so unexpected particually as he had been sedated! I would just really like your view on this and I do appreciate that this just your opinion!

Many Thanks,

Janine

Oh, I am so sorry that this happened Janine. I have done thousands of euthanasias and unfortunately this type of thing happens every now and then. I estimate it happens about 1% of the time.

As horrible as it is to see this, the good news is that Bertie was definitely not conscious during this episode. The medication that is injected intravenously is an overdose of an anesthetic. The very first thing it does, is very rapidly induces a general anesthetic. Then, the medication works to stop the heart.

When we see a vocalization like this, it is not a conscious activity. Rather, it is a muscle reaction. I have had some dogs whose muscles continue to move for several minutes after they are deceased. It is very common when people die that they will let out a gasp or even a loud noise.

Please know that your vet did nothing wrong and that the chances that Bertie felt anything other than peace and sleep during this incident are extremely small.

I am so sorry for your loss.

Thank you very much for your reassurance!my vet had looked after Bertie for 16years but I didnt think to ask anything at the time because I was too upset!!The positive side is that he had a wonderful life and gave us so much pleasure and unconditional love!
Thank you once again
Best wishes,
Janine Kay

Can dog get Hepatitis C? can dogs contract hep c from biting someone that has it? ... (30059 views)

Dog cowers and pees. my dog seems afraid of me when i call her over she cowers and pees when she walks... (15999 views)

Cat with bloody diarrhea iam also a vet from pakistan.i want to ask that if a cat has bloody diarrhoea;wat i... (9058 views)

Can a dog get lice? Can my dog get lice... (7602 views)

Can dogs get tetanus? My dog got her paw caught in an animal trap this evening. She is walking around... (31338 views)

Lots of problems. Dear Dr Marie, Here's the link to our ongoing... (13646 views)

Intestinal lymphoma. Hello Dr. Marie Our Jack Russell/Pug mixed breed dog Charlie is 6 yrs old and has... (18754 views)

Black spot on tongue. My dog, Bogey, has developed a black spot on his tongue about 3 months ago. It was a... (27120 views)

Is rescue cat in pain? Hello I took in a stray female cat about 10 days ago. HER behaviour is odd. She... (11114 views)

Grade 5 heart murmur in kitten. I raise and show Devon Rexes. I have a litter of 6 kittens that were 8 weeks old... (14711 views)