Normal to cry when put to sleep?

Breed: bolognese
Two weeks ago I put my 18 and three quarter year old dog Bertie to sleep. He would have been 19 at the beg of May.He was actually the oldest Bolognese in the UK.
He was given a sedative by the vet as he was always very nervous when we went there.
When he administered the injection to put him to sleep he let out two high piched cries, which really upset me, as I was not expecting this. The vet told me he would not have felt any pain,but those cries make me think that maybe he may have felt something, they were so shrill and so unexpected particually as he had been sedated! I would just really like your view on this and I do appreciate that this just your opinion!

Many Thanks,

Janine

Oh, I am so sorry that this happened Janine. I have done thousands of euthanasias and unfortunately this type of thing happens every now and then. I estimate it happens about 1% of the time.

As horrible as it is to see this, the good news is that Bertie was definitely not conscious during this episode. The medication that is injected intravenously is an overdose of an anesthetic. The very first thing it does, is very rapidly induces a general anesthetic. Then, the medication works to stop the heart.

When we see a vocalization like this, it is not a conscious activity. Rather, it is a muscle reaction. I have had some dogs whose muscles continue to move for several minutes after they are deceased. It is very common when people die that they will let out a gasp or even a loud noise.

Please know that your vet did nothing wrong and that the chances that Bertie felt anything other than peace and sleep during this incident are extremely small.

I am so sorry for your loss.

Thank you very much for your reassurance!my vet had looked after Bertie for 16years but I didnt think to ask anything at the time because I was too upset!!The positive side is that he had a wonderful life and gave us so much pleasure and unconditional love!
Thank you once again
Best wishes,
Janine Kay

Possible cherry eye? My dog has red bags coming up from under his lower eye lids and covering half his... (7455 views)

Sores on dog's nose. Dr. Marie- Our dog has been breaking out in sore/boil/blister type bumps on his... (81484 views)

Dog urinating in the house. I really need help, i have a dog that is now one and a half years old, hes a cross... (9752 views)

Hyperthyroidism and stress. My cat Harry, who is approximately 12 years old, was just diagnosed with... (8824 views)

Peptobismol use in cats I gave pepto bismol to my cat will it be... (22585 views)

Nature's Deli Chicken Jerky. Has anyone had a problem with Nature’s Deli chicken Jerky Dog Treats (from Denver,... (7425 views)

Treatment for kidney disease. My cat has recently been hospitalized for kidney failure. They have her on fluids... (5217 views)

Sedation for euthanasia? My cat was recently diagnosed with tumors in his lungs.He's no longer eating on his... (12267 views)

Bump on tail tip. I noticed a small bump near the very end of my dog's tail, about 1/2 inch wide. She... (41431 views)

Phenobarbital and Zonisamide. Ziggy had cluster seizures as a puppy and we have been controlling them (averages... (8581 views)