Normal to cry when put to sleep?

Breed: bolognese
Two weeks ago I put my 18 and three quarter year old dog Bertie to sleep. He would have been 19 at the beg of May.He was actually the oldest Bolognese in the UK.
He was given a sedative by the vet as he was always very nervous when we went there.
When he administered the injection to put him to sleep he let out two high piched cries, which really upset me, as I was not expecting this. The vet told me he would not have felt any pain,but those cries make me think that maybe he may have felt something, they were so shrill and so unexpected particually as he had been sedated! I would just really like your view on this and I do appreciate that this just your opinion!

Many Thanks,

Janine

Oh, I am so sorry that this happened Janine. I have done thousands of euthanasias and unfortunately this type of thing happens every now and then. I estimate it happens about 1% of the time.

As horrible as it is to see this, the good news is that Bertie was definitely not conscious during this episode. The medication that is injected intravenously is an overdose of an anesthetic. The very first thing it does, is very rapidly induces a general anesthetic. Then, the medication works to stop the heart.

When we see a vocalization like this, it is not a conscious activity. Rather, it is a muscle reaction. I have had some dogs whose muscles continue to move for several minutes after they are deceased. It is very common when people die that they will let out a gasp or even a loud noise.

Please know that your vet did nothing wrong and that the chances that Bertie felt anything other than peace and sleep during this incident are extremely small.

I am so sorry for your loss.

Thank you very much for your reassurance!my vet had looked after Bertie for 16years but I didnt think to ask anything at the time because I was too upset!!The positive side is that he had a wonderful life and gave us so much pleasure and unconditional love!
Thank you once again
Best wishes,
Janine Kay

Euthanasia difficulties. Well, Kiggy passed away May 21, 2012 after a vet recommended euthanasia. She was 14... (9222 views)

Dog ate a grape. Hi, My 2 year old miniature schnauzer ate a red seedless grape about 20 minutes... (10406 views)

Vaccinate for parvo before 6 weeks? We have a litter of labrador puppies. They are 5 and 1/2 weeks old. Can we... (8137 views)

Puffy cat ear. Dr. Marie, my cat Dexter has developed some type of a bump on his right ear. It's... (25158 views)

Abscess on dog's neck. We have been keeping an eye on a hard lump on my boxers upper neck, by ear. It... (34580 views)

Dogs with occasional diarrhea. I have two German shepherds, male and female. The female is 7 yrs, the male is 5... (30633 views)

Vomiting kittens. I have two kittens, 6 mo. today. Both have received all vaccinations/shots. We had... (13111 views)

Can a dog transmit Hep C? Recently my nephew was bitten by a k-9 dog in a mistaken identity situation. My... (17982 views)

Only one testicle descended. I have a 7 month old male boxer who has only had one of his testicles drop. Can you... (55588 views)

Does fampridine help with spinal cord trauma? Has there been any success, or even attempt, at treating paralysis in cats using... (10955 views)