Bald spots on cat's legs.

Breed: Domesic Shorthair Si
I moved from Los Angeles to St.Louis with my cat. For a few months now I've noticed my cat is obsessively licking her hind legs and now her front legs. She's licked the back legs to a point where they're red blood bruised. I've also noticed on occasion red mucus/blood in her stool. I've changed her litter brand, started giving her fish oil and try to spray the areas with wound spray but she's still going at it. I also started giving her half a small can of wet food to help with stool. Her dry food is Natural Balance Indoor Cat. I don't know what else to do. She's an indoor cat, very skiddish, hides under the bed most of the time. I've never taken her to vet. She will be 8 soon. I rescued her from an animal shelter at 3 years old (they estimated her age). She is fixed. I will try to send a picture so you can see her licking.

There are a few things that can cause symptoms like this.

bald legs on a cat

The scabs on the legs are likely due to self trauma. But the question is what is causing her to do this. An allergy certainly is possible. It is often difficult to know what a cat is allergic too. It is unlikely to be the food. Fleas can do this, although the distribution of the lesions is not typical for a flea allergy.

Some cats can do this as a result of "stress". It's often difficult to know what the cause of the stress is and most cats in which I see this actually lead pretty non stressful lives.

There are some conditions such as immune conditions that can cause lesions like this too.

This is something that is not likely to go away on its own. I would highly recommend a veterinary visit. The vet may decide to do some tests to rule out immune conditions like eosiophilic dermatitis or even fungal conditions like ringworm.

There is a good chance that this will go away with steroids. These are safe to give to cats in the right dose.

If your vet thinks that this is due to stress then they may prescribe some antianxiety medications.

I do hope that things improve soon.

Pancreatitis and HGE. I had my Cooper put to sleep 3 weeks ago today. On the Monday before, he vomited... (39215 views)

Sore neck Hi Dr. Marie, You've been helpful in the past, so I thought I'd ask you another... (4390 views)

Bottom lip tremor. my poodle has recently developed a bottom lip tremor. What would cause... (30330 views)

Dog dying of parvo. sage is well......dying of parvo and i want to know ways to make a dog really happy... (16464 views)

Dog leaking urine when sleeping. My dog is leaking urine when she is sleeping. She pees on the bed or on the couch. ... (118880 views)

Liver disease and diarrhea? Hi Dr. Marie My 11 y.o. Boston Andi (about 14 pounds) has been a healthy girl all... (5272 views)

Cat won't eat or drink. Licorice doesn't want to eat much or drink. He is lethargic, but his gums are pink... (21569 views)

Cat not eating. Hello, Dr. Haynes - My cat Simon doesn't seem to be eating or drinking very much... (49572 views)

Are chicken bones bad for dogs? Bobby has a very sensitive stomach. He has been vomiting lately. We gave him some... (16213 views)

Blood in stool. hi lucky just went poop outside and he did liquidy bright red blood iam not sure... (45230 views)