Joint pain in a dog.

Breed: Akita/husky
Hello my dog Menew, is a Akita/husky he is 15 years old and has arthrities, some days he's good others he has a hard time walking, in his good days he just like a 6 month puppy. We've tried giving him Swiss glucosamine sulfate for his joint pain. He weighs about 130lbs. Our old vet had him on extra strength bufferin, but they don't make it anymore. Please help.

Menew definitely is a senior dog at 15 years of age! Unfortunately arthritis is very common in older dogs.

There are great medications available for arthritis but they all need to be prescribed by your veterinarian. Some that I use include Metacam, Rimadyl and Previcox. I have seen some old arthritic dogs act like puppies again after receiving these medications.

You can also ask your vet about something called cartrophen or adequan injections. These injections help lubricate the joints and often work quite well.

Glucosamine is debatable for use in arthritis. While there is no harm in using it, it often is not terribly helpful.

Unfortunately there is no over the counter medication that is considered safe to use for arthritis in dogs. Many over the counter anti-inflammatories will be very hard on a dog's kidneys or liver, or can cause serious stomach ulcers.

I would highly advise talking to your vet about one of the drugs mentioned above.

I hope all goes well!

Purple feces. Why is my dog's poop... (15596 views)

No bowel movement after dentistry. Dear Dr Marie, Thank you for creating this website. I have a 12 year old male... (11890 views)

Are tomatoes bad for cats? Hi, My ragdoll cat loves cherry tomatoes! - he goes mad crazy for the but I am... (40590 views)

Sore leg in a cat. I recently moved from a ranch house to townhouse(steps) in another city. Winston is... (31946 views)

8 month old kitten producing milk. Hi. My 5 month old kitten (Macy) has been trying to nurse from my 8 month old cat... (6350 views)

Frontline and Revolution safe for pregnant dogs. Dr. Marie my poor yorkie is pregnet and she got flees from my sisters new dog what... (48523 views)

Cause of high ALP? mickey a male is 6 and 1/2 years old. he was prescribed on 8/12/11 rimadyl (1/2 75mg... (13571 views)

Healthy cat died suddenly. Why did my cat die? I came home from work today to find that my cat had died. I... (28481 views)

Arthritis medicine for dogs. Zoey recently has been having trouble walking. I think it may be her hips? She does... (7730 views)

Possible degenerative myelopathy. Hi Dr. Marie, My 11 year old German shepherd has been taking prevacox, tramedol,... (34863 views)