Joint pain in a dog.

Breed: Akita/husky
Hello my dog Menew, is a Akita/husky he is 15 years old and has arthrities, some days he's good others he has a hard time walking, in his good days he just like a 6 month puppy. We've tried giving him Swiss glucosamine sulfate for his joint pain. He weighs about 130lbs. Our old vet had him on extra strength bufferin, but they don't make it anymore. Please help.

Menew definitely is a senior dog at 15 years of age! Unfortunately arthritis is very common in older dogs.

There are great medications available for arthritis but they all need to be prescribed by your veterinarian. Some that I use include Metacam, Rimadyl and Previcox. I have seen some old arthritic dogs act like puppies again after receiving these medications.

You can also ask your vet about something called cartrophen or adequan injections. These injections help lubricate the joints and often work quite well.

Glucosamine is debatable for use in arthritis. While there is no harm in using it, it often is not terribly helpful.

Unfortunately there is no over the counter medication that is considered safe to use for arthritis in dogs. Many over the counter anti-inflammatories will be very hard on a dog's kidneys or liver, or can cause serious stomach ulcers.

I would highly advise talking to your vet about one of the drugs mentioned above.

I hope all goes well!

Is it time to put her down? My dog has degenerative myelopathy and is having trouble getting up, moving around... (23710 views)

Is this dog cryptorchid? Jupiter is 71/2 months old. At 8 weeks vet noted both testicles desended. At 5... (18596 views)

Is clostridium zoonotic? Clostridium Type A has been known to cause sudden death in healthy deer but it has... (7378 views)

Does Vick's Vapo rub help cat's breathing? My vet says my cat has a sinus tumor and a Iwas wondering if vicks would help him to... (37372 views)

Cat with asthma. Dr. Marie, Misto is a 9-year-old, 15-pound domestic shorthair, house-only cat who... (7786 views)

Dog is licking where he was neutered. my dog is licking where he was neutered 3 years ago help asap... (7437 views)

Flea problems. My dog Roxie has had a flea dip and has had her last months flea treatment, but she... (8391 views)

Why is my dog limping? hello we have just woke up this morning and found my american bulldog limping on his... (39099 views)

Benadryl for allergies? Dear Dr. Marie, Sadie, my eight year old daschund has a skin condition that causes... (6314 views)

Dog pees in the house. Woody has been peeing when I have gone to work in the bedroom. I take him out... (7879 views)