Joint pain in a dog.

Breed: Akita/husky
Hello my dog Menew, is a Akita/husky he is 15 years old and has arthrities, some days he's good others he has a hard time walking, in his good days he just like a 6 month puppy. We've tried giving him Swiss glucosamine sulfate for his joint pain. He weighs about 130lbs. Our old vet had him on extra strength bufferin, but they don't make it anymore. Please help.

Menew definitely is a senior dog at 15 years of age! Unfortunately arthritis is very common in older dogs.

There are great medications available for arthritis but they all need to be prescribed by your veterinarian. Some that I use include Metacam, Rimadyl and Previcox. I have seen some old arthritic dogs act like puppies again after receiving these medications.

You can also ask your vet about something called cartrophen or adequan injections. These injections help lubricate the joints and often work quite well.

Glucosamine is debatable for use in arthritis. While there is no harm in using it, it often is not terribly helpful.

Unfortunately there is no over the counter medication that is considered safe to use for arthritis in dogs. Many over the counter anti-inflammatories will be very hard on a dog's kidneys or liver, or can cause serious stomach ulcers.

I would highly advise talking to your vet about one of the drugs mentioned above.

I hope all goes well!

Dog licking everything My dog has recently started compulsivley licking his paws/us/anything else he can... (17091 views)

Questions about seizures and MRI. Dr., We are in a dilemma and don't know what to do. Our pet, BooBoo, our beatiful... (64958 views)

Feline leukemia contagious? I'm feeding a neighbor's cat that has feline leukemia. I have cats of my own. Is it... (9687 views)

Dog licking his penis. My dog was groomed today and is licking his penis excessively (even stopping during... (59775 views)

Cracked Toe Nail. My dog cracked his nail horizontally at the base of the nail. Is there something I... (11352 views)

Can't move back legs. I hope you reply quick my dog is dragging both of his back legs he cant stand up but... (21844 views)

Kennel cough in pregnant dog. My dog just started very mild reverse sneeze/sneezing and slight runny nose I'm... (23115 views)

Cat attacked by dogs. We have 5 dogs and 4 cats (mostly rescues) who have grown up together and have... (34092 views)

Dog ate sanitary pad About a month ago my dog got into the trash and chewed up some sanitary napkins. He ... (7357 views)

Itchy hamster. What happens if my hamster is licking itself a lot of scratching itself? Also, what... (24808 views)