Joint pain in a dog.

Breed: Akita/husky
Hello my dog Menew, is a Akita/husky he is 15 years old and has arthrities, some days he's good others he has a hard time walking, in his good days he just like a 6 month puppy. We've tried giving him Swiss glucosamine sulfate for his joint pain. He weighs about 130lbs. Our old vet had him on extra strength bufferin, but they don't make it anymore. Please help.

Menew definitely is a senior dog at 15 years of age! Unfortunately arthritis is very common in older dogs.

There are great medications available for arthritis but they all need to be prescribed by your veterinarian. Some that I use include Metacam, Rimadyl and Previcox. I have seen some old arthritic dogs act like puppies again after receiving these medications.

You can also ask your vet about something called cartrophen or adequan injections. These injections help lubricate the joints and often work quite well.

Glucosamine is debatable for use in arthritis. While there is no harm in using it, it often is not terribly helpful.

Unfortunately there is no over the counter medication that is considered safe to use for arthritis in dogs. Many over the counter anti-inflammatories will be very hard on a dog's kidneys or liver, or can cause serious stomach ulcers.

I would highly advise talking to your vet about one of the drugs mentioned above.

I hope all goes well!

How to calm down hyper dog. We adopted Samson a year ago from the local shelter. He has been a great pet, highly... (10457 views)

Tumor on spinal cord. My dog is diagnosed with cancer. An NMR has been done. The tumor is affecting his... (6518 views)

Lumps on mammary glands. Fraya is a rescue we have had for a month. We are not sure of her age, but we think... (25401 views)

Very thirsty kitten. Hi there my 9 week old male kitten has been drinking water non stop from his bowl... (11173 views)

Grief after dog's death. I need your help, please... for peace of mind so I can sleep and live with myself. ... (10365 views)

Kittens have tapeworm. Hello, About 4-5 weeks ago I adopted 2 12 week old kittens. They are littermates... (35797 views)

Panting after insulin. My 6 year old dog was Diagnosed with diabetes 5 months ago. Having some trouble... (42361 views)

Pit bull with pink skin. I have a pit bull that is black and white in color. Actually he is predominately... (42082 views)

Are bully sticks safe? My dog loves to chew on bully sticks. I think it's kind of gross that it is a... (19002 views)

Roundworms and hookworms. How often do you find roundworms /hookworms in dogs is it rare of fairly... (4529 views)