Joint pain in a dog.

Breed: Akita/husky
Hello my dog Menew, is a Akita/husky he is 15 years old and has arthrities, some days he's good others he has a hard time walking, in his good days he just like a 6 month puppy. We've tried giving him Swiss glucosamine sulfate for his joint pain. He weighs about 130lbs. Our old vet had him on extra strength bufferin, but they don't make it anymore. Please help.

Menew definitely is a senior dog at 15 years of age! Unfortunately arthritis is very common in older dogs.

There are great medications available for arthritis but they all need to be prescribed by your veterinarian. Some that I use include Metacam, Rimadyl and Previcox. I have seen some old arthritic dogs act like puppies again after receiving these medications.

You can also ask your vet about something called cartrophen or adequan injections. These injections help lubricate the joints and often work quite well.

Glucosamine is debatable for use in arthritis. While there is no harm in using it, it often is not terribly helpful.

Unfortunately there is no over the counter medication that is considered safe to use for arthritis in dogs. Many over the counter anti-inflammatories will be very hard on a dog's kidneys or liver, or can cause serious stomach ulcers.

I would highly advise talking to your vet about one of the drugs mentioned above.

I hope all goes well!

lump on dog's abdomen. Hi Dr Marie, Hopefully this is a simple question. I've noticed that one of Max's... (19324 views)

Dog with small pink lump. My dog has a smallish lump on her back which is sort of pinkish in colour but dosn't... (18328 views)

Vomiting foam and not eating. Hi, Pumpkin is an eleven year old male cat. He is usually a very good eater. For the... (46176 views)

White spot on eye. My cat has a greyish white spot on surface of her eye. It is not in the iris nor is... (28498 views)

Lump on dog's belly. Hi Dr. Marie I have a 5 year old Cocker Spaniel female - spayed when she was a... (14717 views)

Sore hips in 1 year old cat. I have a 1 year old cat and she has had "stiff back legs" since we got her at 8... (12829 views)

19 year old cat died. My 19 yo childhood cat died this morning and my parents, who aren't the sort of... (7741 views)

Peeing on blankets. We adopted Ginger a year ago and it took some time to get her house trained. She now... (15891 views)

Gray spot near a dog's penis. My dog has gray spot on the bottom by his penis is this normal? He never had them... (10677 views)

When to euthanize dog with arthritis. Hello. I'm going through a really hard time right now, trying to make a decision... (38095 views)