Lipoma on a dog.

Breed: Black Lab / Mutt
Hi Dr. Laurie, You gave me such great advice on my cat Bobo, I'm writing about my Parents dog Pepper. Shes a spayed overweight (medium sized in height but about 80 lbs)female dog around 8 years old. She still gets around well, and when she sees a squirrell, shes like a bullett (sp). My question is, she has a soft growth about the size of a solftball, maybe a little bigger, yes I said soltball. She doesnt flinch when you rub it, push on it, play with it in any way. Doesnt seem to bother her at all. When I parents brought her to the vet he said it was just a 'fat deposit" that she was so fat or something, the fat had no where else to go, so it was just clumping in one area. This sounds hokey to me. Is that possible? Shouldnt it be removed? She refuses to go on walks and has the run of a large yard whih she prefers to stay in. Her sister , by the way, is a year or so older...golden lab / chow mix, and is in liver failure and they said theres nothing they can do at this point excxept keep her comfortable, she also has very bad hips and is on tramadol or toradol , never can remember the two, and is about to go in to gave a benign tumor removed from her eye. I hope her old body can endure the operation, although I'm pretty sure they understand she wont be with us much longer, they are determined to make her last days as good as possible. Do you think the anesthesia will affect her liver failure? I'm sure her vets are taking all precautions.
I'm not sure if asking 2 questions for 2 different dogs for one price is fair,I know this takes a lot of your time so if you could at least address the first on I would so appreciate it.
Love what you do here and the service you provide is invalueable.
Sincerely, Tina

Hi Tina,

What you are describing on Pepper certainly does sound like a fat deposit. The other name for it is a lipoma. They are really common in dogs. The vast majority of the time they are nothing to worry about. I have seen some that are bothersome if they sit under a muscle layer, such as in the groin. But generally we don't get concerned about them. They happen in normal sized dogs as well as overweight dogs. I only remove them if they are bothersome.

I should mention that I always like to test potential lipomas to make sure there is not a more serious tumor underneath, but it is rare that this is the case.

Ideally it's best to ask a second question if there are two dogs you are asking about, but I'm not sure how much I can tell you about your parents' dog.
There are a number of variables here, but the short answer is that the vet would not go ahead with surgery if they felt there was a concern. They will use medications that are not processed through the liver. It's hard for me to comment more on that situation.

I hope that information helps!

Is hamster hibernating or dead? My hamster is limp cold and her eyes are slightly open and she is lying on her... (49413 views)

Feline acne? Dr. Marie, About a week ago I noticed a small grayish black nodule on my cat's... (24088 views)

Chances of getting rabies from my dog? My wife was recently bit by my dog. My dog has battled allergies and likes to lick... (35156 views)

Sneezing and runny eyes. My cat seems to be ill. It's been a few days that starts sneezing. Now its... (4590 views)

Flea Allergy Hello Shelby has two to three spots that she has been licking and chewing on by... (11057 views)

Stomatitis and FIV. my cat has stomatitus and fiv. i hate to give her up but she may be suffering and i... (12555 views)

Cat has scabs and dry skin. Any home treatment for scabs/dry skin for cats on their head, chin, and neck? I put... (11599 views)

Does Dawn Dishsoap kill fleas? Hi, I recently bought cat shampoo, and through research found that it was... (20971 views)

Black widow spider bite. Hi, A good friend of mine woke up this morning and found her cat dead in her... (6758 views)

Dog ate twigs and stuffing. Dr Marie, On Tuesday, unfortunately I had to fire the pet sitter due to... (15193 views)