Lipoma on a dog.

Breed: Black Lab / Mutt
Hi Dr. Laurie, You gave me such great advice on my cat Bobo, I'm writing about my Parents dog Pepper. Shes a spayed overweight (medium sized in height but about 80 lbs)female dog around 8 years old. She still gets around well, and when she sees a squirrell, shes like a bullett (sp). My question is, she has a soft growth about the size of a solftball, maybe a little bigger, yes I said soltball. She doesnt flinch when you rub it, push on it, play with it in any way. Doesnt seem to bother her at all. When I parents brought her to the vet he said it was just a 'fat deposit" that she was so fat or something, the fat had no where else to go, so it was just clumping in one area. This sounds hokey to me. Is that possible? Shouldnt it be removed? She refuses to go on walks and has the run of a large yard whih she prefers to stay in. Her sister , by the way, is a year or so older...golden lab / chow mix, and is in liver failure and they said theres nothing they can do at this point excxept keep her comfortable, she also has very bad hips and is on tramadol or toradol , never can remember the two, and is about to go in to gave a benign tumor removed from her eye. I hope her old body can endure the operation, although I'm pretty sure they understand she wont be with us much longer, they are determined to make her last days as good as possible. Do you think the anesthesia will affect her liver failure? I'm sure her vets are taking all precautions.
I'm not sure if asking 2 questions for 2 different dogs for one price is fair,I know this takes a lot of your time so if you could at least address the first on I would so appreciate it.
Love what you do here and the service you provide is invalueable.
Sincerely, Tina

Hi Tina,

What you are describing on Pepper certainly does sound like a fat deposit. The other name for it is a lipoma. They are really common in dogs. The vast majority of the time they are nothing to worry about. I have seen some that are bothersome if they sit under a muscle layer, such as in the groin. But generally we don't get concerned about them. They happen in normal sized dogs as well as overweight dogs. I only remove them if they are bothersome.

I should mention that I always like to test potential lipomas to make sure there is not a more serious tumor underneath, but it is rare that this is the case.

Ideally it's best to ask a second question if there are two dogs you are asking about, but I'm not sure how much I can tell you about your parents' dog.
There are a number of variables here, but the short answer is that the vet would not go ahead with surgery if they felt there was a concern. They will use medications that are not processed through the liver. It's hard for me to comment more on that situation.

I hope that information helps!

Limping, trouble breathing and then dog died. Dr. Marie, My dog died this evening and am looking for possible causes. I did not... (17699 views)

Dog waking every 2 hours. Our dog gets congested, breathes through his mouth, his mouth dries out and he wants... (24902 views)

Drinking and urinating more. my dog is drinking so much water lately.and she is also leaving large wet spots on... (6560 views)

Cat can't gain weight. My cat is underweight, I've tried feeding her more but it isn't working... How can I... (14951 views)

Why do dogs eat grass? I recently moved and walk my dog around the new neighborhood. Two times now he has... (13554 views)

Dog eating dirt. My dog consumes grass and now wants to eat dirt when outside exercising despite a... (15981 views)

Flea problems. My dog Roxie has had a flea dip and has had her last months flea treatment, but she... (8159 views)

Why did 15 year old dog die? Hello, My dog was 15 years old and she just recently died last thursday. My mother... (13995 views)

Heavy breathing in dog. My dog seems to be panting and breathing heavily quite often, almost all the time,... (14146 views)

Incontinent after exercise. Sporadically over the course of the past year or 15 months Keeley will have... (16169 views)