Lump on dog's belly.

Breed: American Cocker Span
Hi Dr. Marie

I have a 5 year old Cocker Spaniel female - spayed when she was a puppy. Tonight as my husband was petting Zoe, he found a lump size of a pea to the right of her breast bone. He said it felt hard, but Zoe did not show any discomfort. She continues to have a healthy appetite and active. Is this something we need to have our Vet check out?

Lisa

Hi Lisa,

It's always tough to answer lump questions over the internet! Keep in mind here that I can't make a diagnosis for you, but I'm going to ask you some questions that may help us decide whether a vet should take a look.

-What color is the lump? Is it the same color as the rest of her skin or does it look a darker red, or a different color?

-Is it uniform in consistency? (i.e. does it feel like a smooth lump or is it lumpy and irregular feeling?)

-If you squeeze it a little does it feel like anything could come out of it?

Thanks...I will be online for about 20 minutes more tonight (till about 10:10 EST) but I'll check on your question in the morning if necessary.

We are unable to determine color because it is under the skin. The lump is uniform in shape and will not discharge when squeezed. When skin is pulled up feels like lump is in the fascia.

OK. This is a toughie!

There is a good chance that this could be something very benign such as a lipoma. A lipoma is just a fat lump and is absolutely nothing to worry about.

However, because the lump is on Zoe's belly, I would actually suggest that you have it checked out. If it's not a lipoma then it is possible that this is a mammary tumor. The good news is that mammary tumors are not common in dogs who were spayed before their first heat cycle.

Your vet will likely do a fine needle aspirate where they put a small needle into the lump to determine if it is fat or if it actually is a tumor. If it is a tumor, then unfortunately, for mammary tumors, it is difficult to determine if the tumor is cancerous or benign just by doing a fine needle aspirate. So, if the vet thinks it is a tumor they will likely suggest removing it. Once the lump is removed then they can send it away and find out if you need to be worried.

It is also possible that this is a sebaceous cyst which is nothing at all to worry about.

Once again, the odds are in your favor that this is nothing serious. But, because mammary tumors can be quite serious I would have this checked out. With most mammary tumors, even if it is a malignant tumor, if we can remove them when they are still small then most dogs do well.

Black lumps in a cat's ear. I recently noticed two black spots in one of my cat's ears. They haven't always been... (19596 views)

Dog died at the vet's A couple weeks ago I noticed our dog Gauge was straining to urinate but couldnt. I... (9001 views)

Allergies or URTI? I was looking at the questions on cats, but couldn't find one that was close to what... (8275 views)

Dog's eye blue and purple. hi my dog annebell has a giant blister in eye yesterday it was small so i didnt... (13183 views)

Whipworm treatment? I was looking into a preventative whip worm product as my vet keeps telling me that... (5320 views)

Shaking, Limping dog. yest. my dog was laying down inside my garage later on i noticed that she was... (24984 views)

Red gums next to baby teeth. Hi Dr, This question concerns Max gums. Recall a month ago he had two occluded... (12354 views)

Possible diabetes My cat is very thirsty, he will run to the bathroom counter for a drink of water, he... (8009 views)

Need spanish to be a vet? I am wishing to go into the veterinary workforce, and I would love to know if you... (11709 views)

Low fat foods and tripe for pancreatitis. My 3 yr old Golden who was on Orijen for 2 years had a pancreatitis attack about 6... (23851 views)