Lump on dog's belly.

Breed: American Cocker Span
Hi Dr. Marie

I have a 5 year old Cocker Spaniel female - spayed when she was a puppy. Tonight as my husband was petting Zoe, he found a lump size of a pea to the right of her breast bone. He said it felt hard, but Zoe did not show any discomfort. She continues to have a healthy appetite and active. Is this something we need to have our Vet check out?

Lisa

Hi Lisa,

It's always tough to answer lump questions over the internet! Keep in mind here that I can't make a diagnosis for you, but I'm going to ask you some questions that may help us decide whether a vet should take a look.

-What color is the lump? Is it the same color as the rest of her skin or does it look a darker red, or a different color?

-Is it uniform in consistency? (i.e. does it feel like a smooth lump or is it lumpy and irregular feeling?)

-If you squeeze it a little does it feel like anything could come out of it?

Thanks...I will be online for about 20 minutes more tonight (till about 10:10 EST) but I'll check on your question in the morning if necessary.

We are unable to determine color because it is under the skin. The lump is uniform in shape and will not discharge when squeezed. When skin is pulled up feels like lump is in the fascia.

OK. This is a toughie!

There is a good chance that this could be something very benign such as a lipoma. A lipoma is just a fat lump and is absolutely nothing to worry about.

However, because the lump is on Zoe's belly, I would actually suggest that you have it checked out. If it's not a lipoma then it is possible that this is a mammary tumor. The good news is that mammary tumors are not common in dogs who were spayed before their first heat cycle.

Your vet will likely do a fine needle aspirate where they put a small needle into the lump to determine if it is fat or if it actually is a tumor. If it is a tumor, then unfortunately, for mammary tumors, it is difficult to determine if the tumor is cancerous or benign just by doing a fine needle aspirate. So, if the vet thinks it is a tumor they will likely suggest removing it. Once the lump is removed then they can send it away and find out if you need to be worried.

It is also possible that this is a sebaceous cyst which is nothing at all to worry about.

Once again, the odds are in your favor that this is nothing serious. But, because mammary tumors can be quite serious I would have this checked out. With most mammary tumors, even if it is a malignant tumor, if we can remove them when they are still small then most dogs do well.

Frontline and capstar but still has fleas. My cat has fleas. We have treated him with capstar and frontline, given him a flea... (18772 views)

Expensive fecal exam. Hello Dr. Marie, My question is about a vet bill that I got yesterday and I... (38937 views)

TPO success rate. WHat is the degree of success from triple... (7702 views)

Pitbull is itchy. I have a 4 year old pitbull/lab mix that has been scratching and biting at herself.... (49488 views)

How many vaccines for a puppy? Hi Dr. Marie, Codee was given 5in1 parovirus 2 shots. Is it true that it should... (4211 views)

Accidents outside of box. Mt cat is litter box trained and has been since she was around 3 months old. We... (5732 views)

Blood tinged urine. Dr. Marie, My cat does not pee in her litterbox. Instead she will pee right... (10950 views)

Puppy breathing hard. Tucker is only 8 weeks old, I can't get his needles until this Tues. I think he has... (13160 views)

White bumps on anus. Hi Dr. Marie, I know you are quite busy with all your other questions and I am... (19476 views)

Cat aggressive with dog. Our household has 2 dogs, 2 indoor cats, 3 parakeets and 3 kids :). The cats and... (4918 views)