Cat licking at belly.

Breed: Mixed Cat
My Cat has been licking and cleaning her abdomen untill she as removed most of the hair. I had her to the Vet 6 wks ago about this. We treated for fleas even though there were no signs of fleas, changed her food from dry science diet to the moistwet food caned science diet. She acts healthy, eating, active, sleep and use of litter box is all fine. No big change in weight.
Do I go forward with more testing, labs, bx, scrapings?
What could this be?

Hi Ann and thanks for your question!

It's always hard to discuss skin cases over the internet. However, the vast majority of the time when a cat has a bald belly it is due to overgrooming. Usually this is a sign of mild anxiety in a cat.

It's often hard to know what the cause of the anxiety is. It certainly doesn't mean that you are doing anything wrong.

In most of the cases I see like this I don't do any treatment as long as the cat is behaving normally and there are no lesions or scabs.

If it does seem bothersome then I usually treat with antianxiety medication. Another thing you can look into is a product called feliway that helps with a cat's stress level.

I hope that helps! Dr. Marie

Repeated bouts of Giardia. Our 4 month old Boston terrier Gidget was diagnosed with giardia over 6 weeks ago.... (8374 views)

How much should a dog sleep? I am curious to know how much sleep is normal for an older dog. He is a small breed... (8711 views)

Will I be forced to euthanize? Hello, i have a 14 year old pit bull/bull mastiff mix (50-60 lb and on the smaller... (10517 views)

Dog drinks every 20 minutes. I have a 10 year old chihuahua and she is drinking alot of water...she is eating... (18570 views)

Itchy on back. max is a 11yo. Boston terrier about 18pounds. He is in perfect health, according to... (10796 views)

Cat with asthma. My cat sam is 9 yrs old. he weighs about 16 pounds. He has coughing spells about 3... (9344 views)

Aggressive cats when in heat. i have 2 cats cocoa & honey & honey jus had kittens but before honey had her kittens... (9441 views)

Bleach got on dog's skin. Our child picked up some 2% bleach cleaning solution and sprayed it into our dog... (19487 views)

Cat attacked by dogs. We have 5 dogs and 4 cats (mostly rescues) who have grown up together and have... (34110 views)

Is coconut oil good for dogs? Hello, I'm writing to find out if coconut oil is safe and beneficial to feed my... (9492 views)