Cat licking at belly.

Breed: Mixed Cat
My Cat has been licking and cleaning her abdomen untill she as removed most of the hair. I had her to the Vet 6 wks ago about this. We treated for fleas even though there were no signs of fleas, changed her food from dry science diet to the moistwet food caned science diet. She acts healthy, eating, active, sleep and use of litter box is all fine. No big change in weight.
Do I go forward with more testing, labs, bx, scrapings?
What could this be?

Hi Ann and thanks for your question!

It's always hard to discuss skin cases over the internet. However, the vast majority of the time when a cat has a bald belly it is due to overgrooming. Usually this is a sign of mild anxiety in a cat.

It's often hard to know what the cause of the anxiety is. It certainly doesn't mean that you are doing anything wrong.

In most of the cases I see like this I don't do any treatment as long as the cat is behaving normally and there are no lesions or scabs.

If it does seem bothersome then I usually treat with antianxiety medication. Another thing you can look into is a product called feliway that helps with a cat's stress level.

I hope that helps! Dr. Marie

Not well after vaccines. Had rabies distemper & bord shots fri Gave her frontline & heartguard yest night.... (9632 views)

Sick 4 week old puppies. i have 5 chihuahua puppies of 4 weeks, and last night one of the pup's started... (18425 views)

Cat with pseudomonas infection. Sorry to bother you again. I wrote to you abt Shakey who has Pseudomas bacteria... (9230 views)

Diabetes and IBD. Hi Dr. Marie- This one is long and complicated, but hopefully it makes sense! I... (8387 views)

Dogs with occasional diarrhea. I have two German shepherds, male and female. The female is 7 yrs, the male is 5... (32834 views)

Should I help a sick vole? I know you only answer questions about dogs, cats, hamsters, gerbils, guinea pigs,... (9508 views)

Praziquantal safe in pregnancy? She has been wormed and I also have wormer I do every six months but recently I have... (9439 views)

Rimadyl and Otomax. Hi, I have a two part question. The first is Rimadyl dosage for an older dog. My... (10336 views)

Bottom lip tremor. my poodle has recently developed a bottom lip tremor. What would cause... (31085 views)

Chicken fillets by Beefeaters. Dear Dr. Marie, I have a 10 y.o. Black and Tan Coonhound and he just loves... (13295 views)