Cat licking at belly.

Breed: Mixed Cat
My Cat has been licking and cleaning her abdomen untill she as removed most of the hair. I had her to the Vet 6 wks ago about this. We treated for fleas even though there were no signs of fleas, changed her food from dry science diet to the moistwet food caned science diet. She acts healthy, eating, active, sleep and use of litter box is all fine. No big change in weight.
Do I go forward with more testing, labs, bx, scrapings?
What could this be?

Hi Ann and thanks for your question!

It's always hard to discuss skin cases over the internet. However, the vast majority of the time when a cat has a bald belly it is due to overgrooming. Usually this is a sign of mild anxiety in a cat.

It's often hard to know what the cause of the anxiety is. It certainly doesn't mean that you are doing anything wrong.

In most of the cases I see like this I don't do any treatment as long as the cat is behaving normally and there are no lesions or scabs.

If it does seem bothersome then I usually treat with antianxiety medication. Another thing you can look into is a product called feliway that helps with a cat's stress level.

I hope that helps! Dr. Marie

Pit bull with pink skin. I have a pit bull that is black and white in color. Actually he is predominately... (40669 views)

Why did my kitten die? I came home last night to find my kitten laying dead in her kennel. We rescued her... (11494 views)

Rash on Daschund My dog has a very red rash on her lower abdominal area and vaginal area. She bites... (11532 views)

Can I feed raw veggies? Is it alright to feed our dog fresh, raw pieces of vegetables-like celery, green... (8217 views)

Antibiotics for anal glands? Hi I have written before about our unique living situation. We are expats with... (6864 views)

Heart rate for a cat. Dear Dr.Marie I was just wondering THE TRUTH behind what a cats average heart... (11059 views)

How much water does a puppy drink? My dog is almost 9 months old and he drinks water all the time i often find him... (13350 views)

Lump on boxer's neck. Hi, My six yr. old female boxer has a large AA egg size growth below the right tmj... (51827 views)

Dog won't walk. my dog has almost stoped walkin and jus crawls around,unless it like to get food of... (13623 views)

Can dog get Hepatitis C? can dogs contract hep c from biting someone that has it? ... (26050 views)