Cat licking at belly.

Breed: Mixed Cat
My Cat has been licking and cleaning her abdomen untill she as removed most of the hair. I had her to the Vet 6 wks ago about this. We treated for fleas even though there were no signs of fleas, changed her food from dry science diet to the moistwet food caned science diet. She acts healthy, eating, active, sleep and use of litter box is all fine. No big change in weight.
Do I go forward with more testing, labs, bx, scrapings?
What could this be?

Hi Ann and thanks for your question!

It's always hard to discuss skin cases over the internet. However, the vast majority of the time when a cat has a bald belly it is due to overgrooming. Usually this is a sign of mild anxiety in a cat.

It's often hard to know what the cause of the anxiety is. It certainly doesn't mean that you are doing anything wrong.

In most of the cases I see like this I don't do any treatment as long as the cat is behaving normally and there are no lesions or scabs.

If it does seem bothersome then I usually treat with antianxiety medication. Another thing you can look into is a product called feliway that helps with a cat's stress level.

I hope that helps! Dr. Marie

Not eating or drinking and is painful. My cat tink 3 yrs seems very poorly he hasn't eaten or drank for 2 days now is very... (6507 views)

Hamster cough. Do hamsters have to have a special treatment when they have got a... (13316 views)

Yellow diarrhea and runny eyes. i have a kitten that has diarreah yellowish in color. she acts like she has a hard... (9260 views)

Charcoal briquette My Yorkie, male-6 pounds, was in the garden where my husband threw burn,... (44817 views)

deramaxx, Dasuquin and AdvantixIII Is it ok for Casey to be on deramaxx desaquin and k9advantix 2... (10829 views)

Cat can't put weight on leg. hi basil got away from me last night down near the woods he returned about 30 mins... (25251 views)

Paralyzed dog now walking Emma's back legs have been paralyzed for almost 6 weeks. I took her to the vet and... (11373 views)

Dog weak slow and shaking. My dog has become not interest in anything and has become very weak and has very... (17113 views)

Dog coughing again. Dear Dr. Marie Im concerned about my dog he started about a month ago sounding... (10551 views)

Guinea pig not eating. Hello, I have a 3 year old guinea pig who has stopped eating. Last week I... (10267 views)