Cat licking at belly.

Breed: Mixed Cat
My Cat has been licking and cleaning her abdomen untill she as removed most of the hair. I had her to the Vet 6 wks ago about this. We treated for fleas even though there were no signs of fleas, changed her food from dry science diet to the moistwet food caned science diet. She acts healthy, eating, active, sleep and use of litter box is all fine. No big change in weight.
Do I go forward with more testing, labs, bx, scrapings?
What could this be?

Hi Ann and thanks for your question!

It's always hard to discuss skin cases over the internet. However, the vast majority of the time when a cat has a bald belly it is due to overgrooming. Usually this is a sign of mild anxiety in a cat.

It's often hard to know what the cause of the anxiety is. It certainly doesn't mean that you are doing anything wrong.

In most of the cases I see like this I don't do any treatment as long as the cat is behaving normally and there are no lesions or scabs.

If it does seem bothersome then I usually treat with antianxiety medication. Another thing you can look into is a product called feliway that helps with a cat's stress level.

I hope that helps! Dr. Marie

Frontline Plus and Advantage Multi? Can I give my dog Advantage Multi plus the Frontline Plus. I know the Advantage... (16683 views)

Itchy hamster. What happens if my hamster is licking itself a lot of scratching itself? Also, what... (21310 views)

Thiamine deficiency? My cat has Thiamine deficiency from Wellness pet food. Are the effects for the... (7737 views)

Does Pet Calm Work? Dr. Marie My Bobbie has serious trembling normally during the evning and night.... (13273 views)

Flea problems. WELL MY CAT HAD FLEA'S AND I DEFLEAD THE CAT THE PRODUCTS I USED TO DEFLEA MY CAT... (8973 views)

Dark sticky diarrhea. My 14yr old poodle has diarrhea and an upset stomach (he keeps eating grass in the... (13726 views)

Licking his penis. my indoor cat is constantly going to his litter box about every 10 mins or so and... (10219 views)

What is a CG8 blood test? Hi, my vet wants to do blood tests to see how Frankie is doing, he seems to have... (6809 views)

Very itchy dog. My sweet Molly has a skin infection my recent visit to the vet diagnosed it as... (4822 views)

Pimples on dog's stomach. Your Question: Edit Question Our dog suddenly got little pimple-like lesions all... (36414 views)