Lump on dog's leg.

Breed: Queensland Heeler Mu
Hi Dr. Marie!

Spanky is 5 years old and very healthy. His energy is good and, as far as I can tell, there is nothing wrong with him except for occasionally itchy/dry skin. I adopted him from a shelter in Colorado when he was just under 1 1/2 years old.

He's had a very small bump just to the inside and underneath his right hock (kind of like the knee of his hind leg - in case I'm using the wrong dog anatomy jargon!)

The bump itself is about 1/8th of an inch in diameter and perfectly round. It used to be covered in a kind of black/grey "skin" much like the skin of a dog's nose only rougher and not wet. He's had it for at least 2 1/2 years and it has never bothered him in the least until very recently.

In the last month, he started chewing on it a lot and/or licking it. From the very center of the bump, it started to bleed just a tiny bit. It seems like, now, what he did was lick off the black/grey "skin" and what is currently exposed is a whiter/shinier bump. The size of the bump has not changed at all and he has stopped licking it/chewing on it.

I don't take him to a vet regularly as I'm on a self-employed massage-therapist's income and, as a holistic healer, I strongly prefer to use plants and natural medicines for healing - both for him and myself. I would, of course, take him to a vet if there was an emergency... but I'm hoping you don't tell me to take him to a vet over this issue if it's something that is harmless and/or something I can take care of with natural medicine.

I've taken a picture of the bump and can send that to you in another email. Thanks for your time, Dr. Marie!

Thanks for your question. You've done a very good job at describing the lump but I think seeing a picture really would help. You can email photos to photos@askavetquestion.com.

Thanks for the photos. Spanky is a good looking dog!

I've included one of your images here:

lump on dog's leg

It's hard to say too much from the image partly because it is a little blurry but also because I can't touch and feel this lump like I would in person.

From what you have described though and from what I see I think it is worthwhile to have your vet look at this. When a lump starts to change in consistency or in how much it bothers a dog then this is criteria for it to be examined. If this were my case I would want to do a test called a fine needle aspirate where a needle is put in the lump and cells are drawn out. Dogs tolerate this well. I would then look at the cells under a microscope to see if I can determine what the problem is.

Hopefully this is something like a sebaceous cyst. I have seen cysts that are not bothering the dog and then suddenly become infected causing irritation. But it could be something more serious like, say, a mast cell tumor. If this is the case then you would want to have surgery done as soon as possible.

I hope things work out ok.

Cat howls at night time. Hi - Rusty is almost 15 yrs. and meows and howls at night. Basically, he throws a... (21536 views)

Dog's baby teeth not out. Hi Dr Marie, Happy Holidays to you. I have a question. I don't think this is a... (13875 views)

White tongue in a kitten. Kitten 6weeks old looks like a 4 week old. Sootie has a white tongue? Is it... (16840 views)

Kitten urinating in house. we adopted a 4 month old kitten 3 weeks ago. yesterday he urinated on my husbands... (6496 views)

Accident in bed. Hi Dr. Marie, I am writing to you because Max (who normally sleeps in our bed at... (9945 views)

Diarrhea and pale gums in a kitten. My cat has dirra for about two week i have notice his gum is pale pink what should... (10492 views)

Are tomatoes bad for cats? Hi, My ragdoll cat loves cherry tomatoes! - he goes mad crazy for the but I am... (39117 views)

Cat fell from the balcony. HI,Please,i Know i Didnt paid you! But i dont have credit card,and i think my cat... (10454 views)

Lumps on belly Hello, Dr. Marie: I noticed some small bumps on my dog's bladder on/near the site... (18125 views)

Problems after ear cleaning. I took my cat to the vet about three weeks ago to his ears flushed out because he... (11571 views)