Lump on dog's leg.

Breed: Queensland Heeler Mu
Hi Dr. Marie!

Spanky is 5 years old and very healthy. His energy is good and, as far as I can tell, there is nothing wrong with him except for occasionally itchy/dry skin. I adopted him from a shelter in Colorado when he was just under 1 1/2 years old.

He's had a very small bump just to the inside and underneath his right hock (kind of like the knee of his hind leg - in case I'm using the wrong dog anatomy jargon!)

The bump itself is about 1/8th of an inch in diameter and perfectly round. It used to be covered in a kind of black/grey "skin" much like the skin of a dog's nose only rougher and not wet. He's had it for at least 2 1/2 years and it has never bothered him in the least until very recently.

In the last month, he started chewing on it a lot and/or licking it. From the very center of the bump, it started to bleed just a tiny bit. It seems like, now, what he did was lick off the black/grey "skin" and what is currently exposed is a whiter/shinier bump. The size of the bump has not changed at all and he has stopped licking it/chewing on it.

I don't take him to a vet regularly as I'm on a self-employed massage-therapist's income and, as a holistic healer, I strongly prefer to use plants and natural medicines for healing - both for him and myself. I would, of course, take him to a vet if there was an emergency... but I'm hoping you don't tell me to take him to a vet over this issue if it's something that is harmless and/or something I can take care of with natural medicine.

I've taken a picture of the bump and can send that to you in another email. Thanks for your time, Dr. Marie!

Thanks for your question. You've done a very good job at describing the lump but I think seeing a picture really would help. You can email photos to photos@askavetquestion.com.

Thanks for the photos. Spanky is a good looking dog!

I've included one of your images here:

lump on dog's leg

It's hard to say too much from the image partly because it is a little blurry but also because I can't touch and feel this lump like I would in person.

From what you have described though and from what I see I think it is worthwhile to have your vet look at this. When a lump starts to change in consistency or in how much it bothers a dog then this is criteria for it to be examined. If this were my case I would want to do a test called a fine needle aspirate where a needle is put in the lump and cells are drawn out. Dogs tolerate this well. I would then look at the cells under a microscope to see if I can determine what the problem is.

Hopefully this is something like a sebaceous cyst. I have seen cysts that are not bothering the dog and then suddenly become infected causing irritation. But it could be something more serious like, say, a mast cell tumor. If this is the case then you would want to have surgery done as soon as possible.

I hope things work out ok.

Lump on jaw. OK...my cat has a lump on her neck/jaw. One vet has told me it was an... (26472 views)

Spay 10 year old dog? Hello: I adopted a Belgian tervuren 10 months ago. She was already 10 years... (16281 views)

Pit bull has bald patches. Hi, we have beeen to the vet three different times and he still breaking out and... (4642 views)

Ear infection. last year my dog came home with an infection after being groomed. she has been on 4... (20167 views)

Runny soft stools. Rocky is 7 weeks old, has been eating the same food and now his feces has become... (10306 views)

Muscle atrophy in a cat. Its been two weeks since my 13 yr old cat, Sweety, has been unable to walk and the 4... (24191 views)

Cost to take mouse to vet? About how much would it cost to take a mouse in for a check... (16466 views)

Ear cartilage broken. someone has broke the cartridge in my dogs ear by rubbing them hard. what can i do... (21980 views)

Bald patches on body. I live in Spain. Last Spring my dog had hard white lumps of skin down the sides of... (31465 views)

What caused liver fracture? We fostered an abused, rescue dog in January of 2012 to May 2012 when she died... (10756 views)