Rash in dog's armpits.

Breed: Boxer
My boxer has been getting rashes under her front armpits, this is the 4th time it's occurred. Each time I take her to the vet, they put her on meds and it goes away within a week. I'm tired of doing this! I've tried changing cleaning supplies, laundry detergent, harness, and have changed shampoo to a medicated one from the vet. I also find that she has been chewing her paws. What else could it be?

This sounds like a frustrating problem. I certainly can't say for sure what is going on but I can give you a few ideas.

First of all, if the problem goes away with antibiotics but comes back again once they have stopped then there is a good possibility that this is an infection that needs a longer course of antibiotics. Some skin infections need 6 or even 8 weeks of antibiotics to clear up.

The symptom of chewing her paws sounds like she may have an allergy. Some dogs with allergies do need small doses of steroids (prednisone) in order to stay comfortable. Your vet may also talk to you about trying a prescription hypoallergenic food as well.

You may also want to ask your vet about scraping the skin to look for demodex mites.

If Bug were older I would be considering hypothyoidism as a possible underlying cause for skin problems but this is not common in a dog under 5.

I hope she feels better soon!

Can puppy go outside? I was just wondering when it is okay to take Marley for walkes? He only has his... (9350 views)

Cat died after intestinal surgery. Hi, I tried to send email this morning but some how pay pal didn't take me to right... (7365 views)

What caused liver fracture? We fostered an abused, rescue dog in January of 2012 to May 2012 when she died... (9797 views)

Red lump between dog's toes. Hello I noticed that Sam has a big red swellen bump between second and third... (86076 views)

Swollen eye in older cat. Hello - I have a 13-yr cat with renal issues (diagnosed 2 yrs ago) - but she has... (7157 views)

Dog throws up 3-5 times per week. Max is active & playful. He's a picky eater but seems to eat enough and drinks... (14124 views)

Eyes rolled back in head. About 3 months ago, Bruce's eyes rolled back in his head and become very blood shot.... (40750 views)

Dog's penis is stuck out of sheath. Hi, Ive noticed my 7 month male yorkie has started to lick himself a lot "down... (100866 views)

vet question Hi Dr. Marie. My name is Kim. I'm from Sydney, Australia. My dog, Lassie is going on... (8244 views)

Red bumps on puppy's belly. Hi, our Border Collie puppy has these red bumps on her belly. They are real red and... (74171 views)