Rash in dog's armpits.

Breed: Boxer
My boxer has been getting rashes under her front armpits, this is the 4th time it's occurred. Each time I take her to the vet, they put her on meds and it goes away within a week. I'm tired of doing this! I've tried changing cleaning supplies, laundry detergent, harness, and have changed shampoo to a medicated one from the vet. I also find that she has been chewing her paws. What else could it be?

This sounds like a frustrating problem. I certainly can't say for sure what is going on but I can give you a few ideas.

First of all, if the problem goes away with antibiotics but comes back again once they have stopped then there is a good possibility that this is an infection that needs a longer course of antibiotics. Some skin infections need 6 or even 8 weeks of antibiotics to clear up.

The symptom of chewing her paws sounds like she may have an allergy. Some dogs with allergies do need small doses of steroids (prednisone) in order to stay comfortable. Your vet may also talk to you about trying a prescription hypoallergenic food as well.

You may also want to ask your vet about scraping the skin to look for demodex mites.

If Bug were older I would be considering hypothyoidism as a possible underlying cause for skin problems but this is not common in a dog under 5.

I hope she feels better soon!

Lethargic and following me around. Hi, My dog Harley is 3 yrs old. Starting 2 days ago he hasn't been acting like... (12428 views)

Baby shampoo for a cat? My cat accidentally got pee on himself after we had to take him somewhere in his... (15145 views)

Vomiting and diarrhea in puppy. Lady is almost 5 months now, she's a typical Aussie puppy. She lives with me, my... (6473 views)

Does my cat have a hernia? Hi, My cat was operated on Thursday. My vet suspected that there may have been a... (23865 views)

Keep ringworm positive cat secluded? Hello. My vet thought my cat caught ringworm from another cat who had it. He had... (4736 views)

Diabetic cat problems. ivay is a diabetic last blood test 3 weeks ago was 21 he has gained 5 lbs since jan... (4575 views)

How much should a dog sleep? I am curious to know how much sleep is normal for an older dog. He is a small breed... (7026 views)

Drooling and twitching. My 8 week old Mini American Eskimo has been drooling excessively all day. The... (12555 views)

Coughing blood and mucus. Marvin has been periodically coughing up mucus with blood in it. He has a tumor of... (29972 views)

Peeing on clothes. My old cat seems to be healthy, he eats well, is blind in one eye but that doesn't... (5524 views)