Rash in dog's armpits.

Breed: Boxer
My boxer has been getting rashes under her front armpits, this is the 4th time it's occurred. Each time I take her to the vet, they put her on meds and it goes away within a week. I'm tired of doing this! I've tried changing cleaning supplies, laundry detergent, harness, and have changed shampoo to a medicated one from the vet. I also find that she has been chewing her paws. What else could it be?

This sounds like a frustrating problem. I certainly can't say for sure what is going on but I can give you a few ideas.

First of all, if the problem goes away with antibiotics but comes back again once they have stopped then there is a good possibility that this is an infection that needs a longer course of antibiotics. Some skin infections need 6 or even 8 weeks of antibiotics to clear up.

The symptom of chewing her paws sounds like she may have an allergy. Some dogs with allergies do need small doses of steroids (prednisone) in order to stay comfortable. Your vet may also talk to you about trying a prescription hypoallergenic food as well.

You may also want to ask your vet about scraping the skin to look for demodex mites.

If Bug were older I would be considering hypothyoidism as a possible underlying cause for skin problems but this is not common in a dog under 5.

I hope she feels better soon!

Itchy ears and bum. My dog keeps scratching at her ears and shakes her head a lot. I clean her ears and... (14701 views)

IVDD in dog. My dog Basil woke up this morning and would not jump off of the bed, go down steps,... (12024 views)

Rubs his nose in vomit. A couple of times in the last few weeks, Atka has gotten sick to his stomach and... (9812 views)

Ear cartilage broken. someone has broke the cartridge in my dogs ear by rubbing them hard. what can i do... (21556 views)

Dog attacked by javelina. My dog got attacked by a javelina.. shes bleeding from her nose and mouth, what... (8457 views)

Coughing and not eating chihuahua My 3 year old chihuahua has been going downhill for about 2 weeks. Last week he... (7537 views)

Swelling inside leg. I got my beagle from a beagle rescue, so I don't know too much about her background... (23124 views)

Limping cat with heart problems. Hudson is a 10 year old indoor house cat. He originally came from a garbage dump in... (14456 views)

Is coconut oil good for dogs? Hello, I'm writing to find out if coconut oil is safe and beneficial to feed my... (7776 views)

Cracked Toe Nail. My dog cracked his nail horizontally at the base of the nail. Is there something I... (10043 views)