Rash in dog's armpits.

Breed: Boxer
My boxer has been getting rashes under her front armpits, this is the 4th time it's occurred. Each time I take her to the vet, they put her on meds and it goes away within a week. I'm tired of doing this! I've tried changing cleaning supplies, laundry detergent, harness, and have changed shampoo to a medicated one from the vet. I also find that she has been chewing her paws. What else could it be?

This sounds like a frustrating problem. I certainly can't say for sure what is going on but I can give you a few ideas.

First of all, if the problem goes away with antibiotics but comes back again once they have stopped then there is a good possibility that this is an infection that needs a longer course of antibiotics. Some skin infections need 6 or even 8 weeks of antibiotics to clear up.

The symptom of chewing her paws sounds like she may have an allergy. Some dogs with allergies do need small doses of steroids (prednisone) in order to stay comfortable. Your vet may also talk to you about trying a prescription hypoallergenic food as well.

You may also want to ask your vet about scraping the skin to look for demodex mites.

If Bug were older I would be considering hypothyoidism as a possible underlying cause for skin problems but this is not common in a dog under 5.

I hope she feels better soon!

Pumpkin for anal glands. My dog has anal gland troubles, the vet mentioned fiber treats, I was wondering for... (35018 views)

Trouble walking. On Wednesday evening we called our dogs for dinnertime, and our 10 year old Alaskan... (17958 views)

Click in dog's elbow. Hi Dr. I've noticed that sometimes Max's right elbow will creak as he bends it.... (13324 views)

Peeing outside of box. Hi Dr Marie, My Cat Nikki is 21 yrs old......he was shot in the mouth when he was... (9082 views)

Human medicine for cats? Dear Whom ever it concerns, Hi my name is Lindsey. I got this stray cat 3-4 months... (13086 views)

Kitten with white gums. My kitten is 8 weeks old she just wants to lay around she was playing with the other... (22053 views)

Introducing kittens. hi, i have a 5 month old kitten, and have introduced an 8 week old kitten to the... (8834 views)

Very sick dog. Last night I noticed my dog had diarrhea and bad gas, but I thought she was just a... (16428 views)

Bald spot on cat's tail. By accident my Ricky has a blad spot on his tail & i sure hope that it grows back?... (5956 views)

Cut cat's skin while grooming. Help Dr. Marie! While cutting away a clump of matted hair from behind my kitty's... (32085 views)