Rash in dog's armpits.

Breed: Boxer
My boxer has been getting rashes under her front armpits, this is the 4th time it's occurred. Each time I take her to the vet, they put her on meds and it goes away within a week. I'm tired of doing this! I've tried changing cleaning supplies, laundry detergent, harness, and have changed shampoo to a medicated one from the vet. I also find that she has been chewing her paws. What else could it be?

This sounds like a frustrating problem. I certainly can't say for sure what is going on but I can give you a few ideas.

First of all, if the problem goes away with antibiotics but comes back again once they have stopped then there is a good possibility that this is an infection that needs a longer course of antibiotics. Some skin infections need 6 or even 8 weeks of antibiotics to clear up.

The symptom of chewing her paws sounds like she may have an allergy. Some dogs with allergies do need small doses of steroids (prednisone) in order to stay comfortable. Your vet may also talk to you about trying a prescription hypoallergenic food as well.

You may also want to ask your vet about scraping the skin to look for demodex mites.

If Bug were older I would be considering hypothyoidism as a possible underlying cause for skin problems but this is not common in a dog under 5.

I hope she feels better soon!

Seborrheic dermatitis in Irish Setter. i have a 12yr old irish setter who has seborrheic dermatitis. she has the scaley... (10658 views)

Yellow skin and then died. today my kitten who was a week old and a day past away but when i found him his... (6338 views)

Swollen vulva. "I have a female Rat Terrier who is 6 months old and I was wondering if its normal... (30711 views)

Flea dirt around nipples? She is a 20 month old seemingly very healthy happy cat. There is a very good chance... (36688 views)

Dog pees in the house. Woody has been peeing when I have gone to work in the bedroom. I take him out... (7980 views)

Skin problems. i have a male cocker spaniel 11yrs old, the last couple months he has been... (11743 views)

Rabbit thymoma? Okay. Hi. I'm very concerned about my bun. I have gone to the vet twice. The first... (19106 views)

Homeopathic treatment of FIP. Hello, My cat is verified (80% confirmed) to infect FIP(wet type). The vet told... (12759 views)

Biopsy? Dr, As you know Max has been having issues with vomiting and soft stools. 9... (7780 views)

Redo rabies vaccine? Can a dog get a rabies shot twice? I am waiting for the previous owners to get me... (27152 views)