Flaky skin.

Breed: Shih Tzu/Lahso
Samson has flakey skin that is most obvious on his back toward the tail and under his belly toward his back legs. It feels a bit oiley and the flakes are small and white. It does not seem to itch, although he does like to roll onto his back and squirm around on the floor. Maybe that IS itching. It just not seem to bother him more than that.

He has had a candida infection in his ears and I wondered if there could possibly be a connection. If so, what can I do to rid him of the flakes?

The vet does not seem concerned, but this has only happened since he had a serious liver infection last March - July where he was on large amounts of antibiotics for a long period of time.

I have also noticed that he has soft lumps under his forearms (both sides). The vet aspirated the lumps and said they were "fat" and not to worry; however, he has stopped jumping onto the ottoman and today would not jump out of the car. I don't know if they are connected. They do not appear to be painful.

I would appreciate your thoughts on this condition or conditions. Are there dermatologists for animals and could this situation warrant a visit to one?

Thank you for your help.

Charlotte from Texas

Hi Charlotte. Sorry to hear that Samson is going through frustrating problems with his skin. While it is often hard to talk about skin problems over the internet, I can give you a few ideas.

First of all, if you would like to email me a photo at photos@askavetquestion.com this may make it a little easier for me to give you some advice.

There are a number of different reasons for a dog to have flakes over his back end. And yes, I would consider it itching if he is rubbing his back on the floor.

It is possible that he has a skin infection. Are there any lesions, red spots or bumps at all? If so, then I would likely be putting him on a several week course of an antibiotic called cephalexin. However, if your vet has examined him and didn't feel there was an infection there then this is probably not the case.

It may seem simple, but is he on a good quality flea preventative such as Frontline, Advantage or Revolution? The most common reason for skin irritation over the back end is an allergy to fleas. Some dogs are so allergic to fleas that even one bite can set them off. You often don't actually see the fleas if there are not many of them there.

It's also possible he has allergies which are causing him to get seborrheic dermatitis. This means that the skin is flaky and itchy. There are some good shampoos that your vet can prescribe that can help to reduce the flakiness. One example is a shampoo called Sebolux.

Another product that helps in case this is a dry skin issue is something called Dermoscent often helps. This is a product that you apply a small amount of to the skin and it helps to moisturize the skin.

It is unlikely that the lumps you are feeling are causing any problems.

There definitely are veterinary dermatologists. I always recommend seeing one if your vet is unable to figure out what is going on.

One other thing that either your vet or the dermatologist can do is a biopsy of the affected skin. Usually this can be done with a local anesthetic. A biopsy is a great way to find out what is going on.

I hope things are figured out soon!

Cat has swollen foot. I took my cat to the vet bc he was limping and they said he may have cut his foot... (4958 views)

Gradual change of food? Hello, I reside in South Korea and I am the father of 3 cocker spaniels. Recently... (8091 views)

How to calm down hyper dog. We adopted Samson a year ago from the local shelter. He has been a great pet, highly... (9943 views)

Dog with colonic tumor. Hi - Our nearly 11 year old male yellow lab has had quite a week. He has been... (18984 views)

Puppy Strangles. litter of 12 puppies were born on April 13th and now 4 are showing signs of lumps... (7428 views)

Straining to urinate. I have an 8 year old yellow lab named Chloie. She was diagnosed with hypothyroidism... (4482 views)

Kitten is bleeding from vagina. since ive got my kitten she has been crying alot, ive noticed her bleeding aswell... (14120 views)

Previous leg injury. Dear Dr Marie, Recently I've taken in a rescued Greyhound. I immediately noticed,... (14139 views)

Unexplained liver problems. Dr. Marie, I have a now 14 year old yorkie with some complex medical issues and... (6605 views)

Puppy has diarrhea. i just aquired a 7 month old german shepard/lab mix (already 60 lbs) a week ago and... (16104 views)