No bowel movement?

Breed: Lab mix
Hi & thank you for taking my question. I would like to know if it is normal for my 11.5 year old lab mix to have gone for about 48 hours without a bowel movement following hospitalization for a first episode of pancreatitis? She was NPO from Tuesday until Friday, and was on IV fluids and electrolytes, IV pain meds, anti nausea meds and antibiotics. Came home Thursday night, was hand fed some turkey baby food Friday morning and was able to progress to eating a half cup of finely diced chicken mixed with baby food twice on Friday, three times Saturday and twice so far today. She began drinking water mid day Friday- just once on Friday, and more each day since. She had two smallish loose stretchy stools Friday, but nothing since, Is no t straining or making any effort to go, and doesn't seem any more uncomfortable since coming home. She is slowly looking a little better each day, is walking, wanting to go for rides, and hanging by my side as usual. I did notice that the first baby food I gave her listed onion powder as the last ingredient, so I switched it as soon as I caught it. So the question is how long is normal for her to go without a bowel movement, and when should I be concerned? Thank you... She is urinating normally, and today has begun to pass some gas. Is still taking clavamox and Pepcid by mouth and has resumed Rimadyl, century senior vitamin, and Dasuquin chew. Thank you.

It sounds like Penny is recovering well from pancreatitis. The fact that she is able and willing to eat is a really good sign.

And yes, I have good news for you. It is very normal for a dog to have even several days with no bowel movement after having a period without food. Dogs with diarrhea issues will often have a couple of days without a bowel movement once they have recovered as well.

Now, if Penny was straining to defecate then I would be more concerned. I suppose if she goes more than 5 days then I would call the vet. Or, if her appetite starts to decline again then I would have her seen again.

Don't worry too much about a single serving of baby food with onion. We advise to stay away from onion because it can be toxic to red cells, but she would actually need a fair amount (much more than in a jar of baby food) to be affected.

I hope that helps, but please let me know if you have more questions.

Just want to thank you very much for your thoughtful and prompt response. It was very helpful. Take care.

Baby teeth didn't fall out. My dog's two canine teeth did not fall and her adult teeth grew in front of them.... (9112 views)

Cat ate A&D cream. Four days ago Salem licked some A&D cream. I called poison control and they there... (15420 views)

Paralyzed dog. O.K, here is the deal. Our dog Sadie was diagnosed with a ruptured disc (L2) I... (36983 views)

Antibiotics for pyometra? my dog has pyometra what are the chances with survival after antibotic injection... (7735 views)

Pathology report for mammary tumor. Shelby recently had her mammary gland removed as she had multiple tumors. This... (7407 views)

Maggots in guinea pig cage. Dr. Marie, I found maggots in my guinea pig cage today. what should I do? They seem... (17154 views)

Puppy with hard lump on throat my dog has a hard lump on the side of his throat what could it be it is hard does... (15900 views)

Dwarf hamsters fighting. HI DOC. , I HAVE 2 DWARF HAMSTERS FEMALES , WHICH I BOUGHT TOGETHER AT A VERY... (12594 views)

Is pinkeye contagious to pets? My husband just contracted pink eye. Is it possible for him to spread it to our dog... (25282 views)

Helicobacter in ferrets. HI! I read your response regarding the ferret who was not eating, vomiting, lying in... (12772 views)