No bowel movement?

Breed: Lab mix
Hi & thank you for taking my question. I would like to know if it is normal for my 11.5 year old lab mix to have gone for about 48 hours without a bowel movement following hospitalization for a first episode of pancreatitis? She was NPO from Tuesday until Friday, and was on IV fluids and electrolytes, IV pain meds, anti nausea meds and antibiotics. Came home Thursday night, was hand fed some turkey baby food Friday morning and was able to progress to eating a half cup of finely diced chicken mixed with baby food twice on Friday, three times Saturday and twice so far today. She began drinking water mid day Friday- just once on Friday, and more each day since. She had two smallish loose stretchy stools Friday, but nothing since, Is no t straining or making any effort to go, and doesn't seem any more uncomfortable since coming home. She is slowly looking a little better each day, is walking, wanting to go for rides, and hanging by my side as usual. I did notice that the first baby food I gave her listed onion powder as the last ingredient, so I switched it as soon as I caught it. So the question is how long is normal for her to go without a bowel movement, and when should I be concerned? Thank you... She is urinating normally, and today has begun to pass some gas. Is still taking clavamox and Pepcid by mouth and has resumed Rimadyl, century senior vitamin, and Dasuquin chew. Thank you.

It sounds like Penny is recovering well from pancreatitis. The fact that she is able and willing to eat is a really good sign.

And yes, I have good news for you. It is very normal for a dog to have even several days with no bowel movement after having a period without food. Dogs with diarrhea issues will often have a couple of days without a bowel movement once they have recovered as well.

Now, if Penny was straining to defecate then I would be more concerned. I suppose if she goes more than 5 days then I would call the vet. Or, if her appetite starts to decline again then I would have her seen again.

Don't worry too much about a single serving of baby food with onion. We advise to stay away from onion because it can be toxic to red cells, but she would actually need a fair amount (much more than in a jar of baby food) to be affected.

I hope that helps, but please let me know if you have more questions.

Just want to thank you very much for your thoughtful and prompt response. It was very helpful. Take care.

Dog on You Don't Mess with the Zohan. ok im very stressed what type of dog is on the movie You Don't Mess With The Zohan?... (14332 views)

Trifexis overdose. My approx 4-5lb teacup Pomeranian ate HALF of the Trifexis meant for a 60-120lb dog... (5451 views)

Unable to walk. We put the dog outside this morning and then went out to bring him back in and found... (78297 views)

Recurrent bladder infection. I have a four month old pug puppy that has had symptoms of UTI since 4/8/13. She is... (12463 views)

Cat peeing on the carpet. My cat will not stop urinating on the carpet, she has seen a vet and has no medical... (13064 views)

UTI in a kitten. Hi there, I have spoken to you in the past, and am looking for a little advice... (11972 views)

Lump on dog's leg. Hey Dr. Marie (and Happy Holidays!) I noticed about a week ago while petting my... (39079 views)

Both dogs having seizures I have 2 dogs. Molly the mixbreed started acting strange about a week ago. not... (11583 views)

Dog ate grapes. My dog ate 3 grapes! My son gave them to him about 2-3 hours ago. Are grapes... (12960 views)

Wound on cat's paw. When I got my cat 3yrs ago he had frostbite on his front pads, they healed good. a... (5997 views)