No bowel movement?

Breed: Lab mix
Hi & thank you for taking my question. I would like to know if it is normal for my 11.5 year old lab mix to have gone for about 48 hours without a bowel movement following hospitalization for a first episode of pancreatitis? She was NPO from Tuesday until Friday, and was on IV fluids and electrolytes, IV pain meds, anti nausea meds and antibiotics. Came home Thursday night, was hand fed some turkey baby food Friday morning and was able to progress to eating a half cup of finely diced chicken mixed with baby food twice on Friday, three times Saturday and twice so far today. She began drinking water mid day Friday- just once on Friday, and more each day since. She had two smallish loose stretchy stools Friday, but nothing since, Is no t straining or making any effort to go, and doesn't seem any more uncomfortable since coming home. She is slowly looking a little better each day, is walking, wanting to go for rides, and hanging by my side as usual. I did notice that the first baby food I gave her listed onion powder as the last ingredient, so I switched it as soon as I caught it. So the question is how long is normal for her to go without a bowel movement, and when should I be concerned? Thank you... She is urinating normally, and today has begun to pass some gas. Is still taking clavamox and Pepcid by mouth and has resumed Rimadyl, century senior vitamin, and Dasuquin chew. Thank you.

It sounds like Penny is recovering well from pancreatitis. The fact that she is able and willing to eat is a really good sign.

And yes, I have good news for you. It is very normal for a dog to have even several days with no bowel movement after having a period without food. Dogs with diarrhea issues will often have a couple of days without a bowel movement once they have recovered as well.

Now, if Penny was straining to defecate then I would be more concerned. I suppose if she goes more than 5 days then I would call the vet. Or, if her appetite starts to decline again then I would have her seen again.

Don't worry too much about a single serving of baby food with onion. We advise to stay away from onion because it can be toxic to red cells, but she would actually need a fair amount (much more than in a jar of baby food) to be affected.

I hope that helps, but please let me know if you have more questions.

Just want to thank you very much for your thoughtful and prompt response. It was very helpful. Take care.

Lethargic dog. The last 3 days, Duke has become very lethargic, laying around and just sleeping. ... (32504 views)

Do allergy wipes work? Do cat wipes work for people who are allergic to feline dander? Are the wipes... (13700 views)

Cat died. Hit by car? My cat was found a few days ago under my neighbours car. He had been bleeding from... (29049 views)

Backward sneezing and drooling. Firstly I am doing this om my iPhone . I can get email but can not send so please... (21104 views)

Bald patches on cats. I have twin cats, brother and sister. They are indoor cats and both overweight. They... (9066 views)

Itchy dog. I had noticed the oldest one of my dogs, Chloe, chewing and itching a little more... (49801 views)

Spot in cat's eye. About a year ago our cat was looked at by a vet. He got all his shots and was... (26208 views)

Dog is vomiting again. Hi Dr. Marie, Last Tuesday (Dec 6) I came home and Max had vomitted up some bile... (14141 views)

Dental cleaning extend dog's life? My Pug Chocko has a tooth that feels loose. I think it's his lower central incisor... (7773 views)

Flea problems. My dog Roxie has had a flea dip and has had her last months flea treatment, but she... (10682 views)