No bowel movement?

Breed: Lab mix
Hi & thank you for taking my question. I would like to know if it is normal for my 11.5 year old lab mix to have gone for about 48 hours without a bowel movement following hospitalization for a first episode of pancreatitis? She was NPO from Tuesday until Friday, and was on IV fluids and electrolytes, IV pain meds, anti nausea meds and antibiotics. Came home Thursday night, was hand fed some turkey baby food Friday morning and was able to progress to eating a half cup of finely diced chicken mixed with baby food twice on Friday, three times Saturday and twice so far today. She began drinking water mid day Friday- just once on Friday, and more each day since. She had two smallish loose stretchy stools Friday, but nothing since, Is no t straining or making any effort to go, and doesn't seem any more uncomfortable since coming home. She is slowly looking a little better each day, is walking, wanting to go for rides, and hanging by my side as usual. I did notice that the first baby food I gave her listed onion powder as the last ingredient, so I switched it as soon as I caught it. So the question is how long is normal for her to go without a bowel movement, and when should I be concerned? Thank you... She is urinating normally, and today has begun to pass some gas. Is still taking clavamox and Pepcid by mouth and has resumed Rimadyl, century senior vitamin, and Dasuquin chew. Thank you.

It sounds like Penny is recovering well from pancreatitis. The fact that she is able and willing to eat is a really good sign.

And yes, I have good news for you. It is very normal for a dog to have even several days with no bowel movement after having a period without food. Dogs with diarrhea issues will often have a couple of days without a bowel movement once they have recovered as well.

Now, if Penny was straining to defecate then I would be more concerned. I suppose if she goes more than 5 days then I would call the vet. Or, if her appetite starts to decline again then I would have her seen again.

Don't worry too much about a single serving of baby food with onion. We advise to stay away from onion because it can be toxic to red cells, but she would actually need a fair amount (much more than in a jar of baby food) to be affected.

I hope that helps, but please let me know if you have more questions.

Just want to thank you very much for your thoughtful and prompt response. It was very helpful. Take care.

Trouble walking. On Wednesday evening we called our dogs for dinnertime, and our 10 year old Alaskan... (16820 views)

Clear discharge from eye. Hi there, My one year old cat has had a slight watery discharge from her left eye... (10597 views)

Two kittens limping. Yesterday my two indoor 6 month old cats started limping and favoring their dominant... (5773 views)

Do dogs get chicken pox? Hi my dog star has never had skin problems but recently my kids got chicken pox and... (48192 views)

Give half pill of Iverhart? I purchased Iverhart Plus heartworm pills for dogs up to 25 pounds. Since my two... (9822 views)

Benadryl for allergies? Dear Dr. Marie, Sadie, my eight year old daschund has a skin condition that causes... (6428 views)

Tick part left in dog? I have just recently removed a tickt from my dog from just above his eye how do I... (7250 views)

Dog ate vetoryl My younger dog ate some food that had vetoryl in it meant for my older dog. Will it... (15491 views)

Licking at foot. About 4 years ago we had one front dewclaw removed, after ruby caught it on... (8598 views)

intercat aggression We have four brothers that are 1 year old. They were wild cats when their mamma... (6738 views)