No bowel movement?

Breed: Lab mix
Hi & thank you for taking my question. I would like to know if it is normal for my 11.5 year old lab mix to have gone for about 48 hours without a bowel movement following hospitalization for a first episode of pancreatitis? She was NPO from Tuesday until Friday, and was on IV fluids and electrolytes, IV pain meds, anti nausea meds and antibiotics. Came home Thursday night, was hand fed some turkey baby food Friday morning and was able to progress to eating a half cup of finely diced chicken mixed with baby food twice on Friday, three times Saturday and twice so far today. She began drinking water mid day Friday- just once on Friday, and more each day since. She had two smallish loose stretchy stools Friday, but nothing since, Is no t straining or making any effort to go, and doesn't seem any more uncomfortable since coming home. She is slowly looking a little better each day, is walking, wanting to go for rides, and hanging by my side as usual. I did notice that the first baby food I gave her listed onion powder as the last ingredient, so I switched it as soon as I caught it. So the question is how long is normal for her to go without a bowel movement, and when should I be concerned? Thank you... She is urinating normally, and today has begun to pass some gas. Is still taking clavamox and Pepcid by mouth and has resumed Rimadyl, century senior vitamin, and Dasuquin chew. Thank you.

It sounds like Penny is recovering well from pancreatitis. The fact that she is able and willing to eat is a really good sign.

And yes, I have good news for you. It is very normal for a dog to have even several days with no bowel movement after having a period without food. Dogs with diarrhea issues will often have a couple of days without a bowel movement once they have recovered as well.

Now, if Penny was straining to defecate then I would be more concerned. I suppose if she goes more than 5 days then I would call the vet. Or, if her appetite starts to decline again then I would have her seen again.

Don't worry too much about a single serving of baby food with onion. We advise to stay away from onion because it can be toxic to red cells, but she would actually need a fair amount (much more than in a jar of baby food) to be affected.

I hope that helps, but please let me know if you have more questions.

Just want to thank you very much for your thoughtful and prompt response. It was very helpful. Take care.

One puppy in litter died. I had five yookiepoo pups. One has died. Yesterday was the first day that it acted... (13661 views)

Clear discharge from dog's nose. Hello, My 3 year old Golden Retriever has been blowing her nose--exactly how... (19966 views)

Sick after eating Iams ProHealth. My cat has been eating IAMS PROHEALTH and this morning he threw up 4 times and now... (8521 views)

Sore eye in a dog. Hi, My Yorkie's left eye is squinting; it looks like she can't open it. She has... (23056 views)

Seizures due to brain tumor? Hello I have a 9 year old standard poodle (neutured) that has had a seizure episode... (16644 views)

Can I get toxoplasmosis from my dog? I've caught my dog eating stray cat feces in my yard several times. I would then... (34715 views)

Dog walking sideways. Hello Dr. Here is my question, So my little shitzu is about 2 1/2 yrs old and... (39444 views)

Arthritis medicine for dogs. Zoey recently has been having trouble walking. I think it may be her hips? She does... (5822 views)

Dog had large tumor and died. Our dog Jessie, just passed away suddenly on Friday morning. She went off on her... (11437 views)

How to stop dog from scratching. I bought a cone for my dog because he has a sore on his eye that he keeps scratching... (16413 views)