Do dogs sweat?

Breed: mixed
Zoe, our chow mix, never pants. When our other dogs, after playtime, are laying around with their tongues hanging out, she just lays there with a shiny, wet sheen on her coat. Can dogs sweat?

Thanks for an interesting question!

What you are seeing is definitely not sweat. Dogs can sweat from their paw pads and do pant to help themselves cool down.

Dogs do have something similar to sweat glands on the rest of their body, but their purpose is not to cool dogs down and they don't release sweat. Instead, these glands are called apocrine glands and they release pheromones which are scent chemicals.

Hope that answers your question!

Dog sneezed out food. Hi there, I have a couple of concerns. My chi is about 6 and a half years... (13950 views)

Constipated kittens. I am fostering 5 kittens. I think they are about 5 weeks old. They still cannot use... (8672 views)

Bleeding from penis. My Siberian Husky has been bleeding from his penis for the last 2 days, It comes and... (14602 views)

Dog has a bald patch over eye. Hello, I have a miniature Dashchund which is 5 mnths old and she is in perfect... (13991 views)

Pass away at home? Potter is almost 13. About 4 months ago he was diagnosed with diabetes and we... (8403 views)

Popcorn in dog's stool? My dog had something that looked like a popped popcorn kernel at the end of his... (12505 views)

Chronic cat diarrhea. I had emailed you several times regarding my cat Bandit in December and January.... (6768 views)

Interstitial cystitis. My cat has had reoccurring Cystitis. She strains when going to the toilet,... (5358 views)

Non healing abscess I'm sorry I had to choose the free option, but I'm skint because of the ongoing vet... (7382 views)

Is Tropiclean safe? Dear Dr. Marie: Hello! I am writing to ask about giving a water additive to my... (19043 views)