Do dogs sweat?

Breed: mixed
Zoe, our chow mix, never pants. When our other dogs, after playtime, are laying around with their tongues hanging out, she just lays there with a shiny, wet sheen on her coat. Can dogs sweat?

Thanks for an interesting question!

What you are seeing is definitely not sweat. Dogs can sweat from their paw pads and do pant to help themselves cool down.

Dogs do have something similar to sweat glands on the rest of their body, but their purpose is not to cool dogs down and they don't release sweat. Instead, these glands are called apocrine glands and they release pheromones which are scent chemicals.

Hope that answers your question!

Brewer's Yeast for fleas. Is brewers yeast and garlic a safe treatment for deterring fleas and ticks,... (16621 views)

Boxer collapsed. Last saturday our female 1 year old boxer collapsed and her gums went very pale. We... (10600 views)

Running with puppy. I recently adopted a 14 month old Airedale. he is neutered, in good health and is a... (4640 views)

Bladder stones and crystals. Hello Dr. Marie: Last fall and again in April of this year, Jazz got what was... (9612 views)

Sneezing dog. My 1 year old Chihuahua has been sneezing and reverse sneezing for the last couple... (24162 views)

Anemic dog. Hi, I'm really worried about my dog Sammy. He was at the vet a couple of days ago... (8618 views)

Bump on roof of mouth. Hi I'm almost certain this is nothing. But I have an 8 week old golden male. I've... (31252 views)

Ear mite treatment for dogs and cats. Hello, I just noticed the other day that my cat and dog has alot of ... (8308 views)

How long is parvo contagious? i recently got a puppy and after 3 days i found out he had parvo and had to be put... (19670 views)

Salivating dog. Seizures? My dog started to twist and chew on her tongue and stick it out on her right side... (10392 views)