Do dogs sweat?

Breed: mixed
Zoe, our chow mix, never pants. When our other dogs, after playtime, are laying around with their tongues hanging out, she just lays there with a shiny, wet sheen on her coat. Can dogs sweat?

Thanks for an interesting question!

What you are seeing is definitely not sweat. Dogs can sweat from their paw pads and do pant to help themselves cool down.

Dogs do have something similar to sweat glands on the rest of their body, but their purpose is not to cool dogs down and they don't release sweat. Instead, these glands are called apocrine glands and they release pheromones which are scent chemicals.

Hope that answers your question!

Kitten won't eat. my kitten won't eat but will drink water and he is sluggish and has had weight loss... (19636 views)

Golden with itchy abdomen. Hello My dog Henri has been constantly licking and chewing his underside inside... (33436 views)

Eucalyptus for fleas. I was washing my 8week old puppy and pored a large amount of Eucalyptus Oil on him..... (14547 views)

Bassett hound freaks out Our dog is healthy and happy, usually. He's been to the vet once per year to get his... (7755 views)

Dog's nails are breaking. My dog is about 10 years old and shows no signs of any illness. Recently, her nails... (8710 views)

Cat urinating in the house. We recently switched from clay cat litter to corn. We love it, but one of our two... (6977 views)

Panadol (tylenol) for cat? my cat(3 years) has been drooling non-stop for the past 3 days and wont eat or drink... (5865 views)

My cat's eye is foggy. Hello, My cat Paisley is 10 months old and her eye is foggy, her ears and nose are... (8457 views)

Dog ate battery fluid. My dog chewed up a AA battery. It doesn't appear that she ingested any pieces of it... (16517 views)

Cat with weeping skin. I have a young cat (about a year and a half) that I found (and finally managed to... (8228 views)