Tramadol not working.

Breed: mutt
He is on Tramodol 50 mg 3x a day plus 80lbs of Metacam for Arthritis. He was put on Tramadol for pain when lying down -possible his elbows- and moving to his side moaning. Hes had 4 doses of tramadol with no relief. Does Tramadol have to "build up" in his system to "start" to relieve his pain?

Usually, if Tramadol is going to work we should be seeing some results within the first day of treatment.

Tramadol has a really wide dosing range. You may want to ask your vet if they think you should increase the dose.

Sometimes if Tramadol and Metacam are not working I will add a medication called Gabapentin.

You could also talk to your vet about having an orthopedic surgeon do a SHO (Sliding Humeral Osteotomy) which is a surgery which may help him.

Did I do the right thing? Hello Dr. Marie, I am grieving today as I had my 12 year old cat put down yesterday... (9032 views)

Dog with wound. My pup is 7 months old and two days ago she dug out of her kennel and I didn't see... (16255 views)

Dog can't bark. I just recent spayed my dog this summer and i recently noticed that her bark sounds... (21338 views)

Short of breath and runny nose. My dog is shor of breath, has a runny nose, and is shaking please help me I do not... (6108 views)

Ear infection. last year my dog came home with an infection after being groomed. she has been on 4... (18870 views)

Dog ate a grape. Hi, My 2 year old miniature schnauzer ate a red seedless grape about 20 minutes... (9961 views)

Puppy has soft stools. Background: Junior is a rescue. My first dog ever. I got him about 1 month ago,... (6821 views)

Palliative care vs. euthanasia? Hello. First let me say that this turned out to be long and probably rambling. ... (9957 views)

Gentamycin and deafness? Hope you can help with my question. I have a 11 year old cat named Emma, that has... (4308 views)

Older dog having seizures. She has been having more vestibular events lately and closer to each other and I'm... (6510 views)