Tramadol not working.

Breed: mutt
He is on Tramodol 50 mg 3x a day plus 80lbs of Metacam for Arthritis. He was put on Tramadol for pain when lying down -possible his elbows- and moving to his side moaning. Hes had 4 doses of tramadol with no relief. Does Tramadol have to "build up" in his system to "start" to relieve his pain?

Usually, if Tramadol is going to work we should be seeing some results within the first day of treatment.

Tramadol has a really wide dosing range. You may want to ask your vet if they think you should increase the dose.

Sometimes if Tramadol and Metacam are not working I will add a medication called Gabapentin.

You could also talk to your vet about having an orthopedic surgeon do a SHO (Sliding Humeral Osteotomy) which is a surgery which may help him.

Allergic reaction. Harley is having the following symptoms. Shaking head regularly licking... (3837 views)

Vomiting and diarrhea with blood. Our family pet has been vomitting all day and there seemed to be blood in it and... (8672 views)

Swollen nipple. I have a female dog that was fixed 6 years ago. She has 1 nipple that is swollen to... (21709 views)

Older dog having seizures. She has been having more vestibular events lately and closer to each other and I'm... (6183 views)

High ALT in a dog. Autumn went to the vet on Sept 29, 2013 with a problem jumping and walking on... (14086 views)

Hair loss and hyperthyroidism. Dear Dr. Marie, I have had my cat Cody for five years. He was a stray cat who was... (12870 views)

Dog won't pee in the yard. Our shiba Jesse has always peed and pooped in our fenced in backyard. We recently... (25518 views)

Swollen lab. Hi, my name is Ron Lamoureux. One month ago I noticed that my 2 yr old Lab... (8043 views)

Swelling on ear. My 2 year old male beagle has a bump on his outer ear flap which resembles the post... (6375 views)

High stepping and chattering. My dog has suddenly started walking funny. He lifts his paws up higher than normal... (7693 views)