Tramadol not working.

Breed: mutt
He is on Tramodol 50 mg 3x a day plus 80lbs of Metacam for Arthritis. He was put on Tramadol for pain when lying down -possible his elbows- and moving to his side moaning. Hes had 4 doses of tramadol with no relief. Does Tramadol have to "build up" in his system to "start" to relieve his pain?

Usually, if Tramadol is going to work we should be seeing some results within the first day of treatment.

Tramadol has a really wide dosing range. You may want to ask your vet if they think you should increase the dose.

Sometimes if Tramadol and Metacam are not working I will add a medication called Gabapentin.

You could also talk to your vet about having an orthopedic surgeon do a SHO (Sliding Humeral Osteotomy) which is a surgery which may help him.

Bromonidine (like amitraz) toxicity. MY DOG SWALLOWED SOME BRIMONIDINE TARTRATE OPHTHALMIC 5 ML SHE IS VERY WEAK AND... (18354 views)

Possible degenerative myelopathy. Hi Dr. Marie, My 11 year old German shepherd has been taking prevacox, tramedol,... (42629 views)

Vomiting due to virus? Hello Dr.Marie. Okay so my 14 year old cat smokey has been going threw some... (20045 views)

Shedding because of diet? My cat lives indoors, and he's got a shedding problem. I was wondering if he is... (12540 views)

Dog inhaled bleach. Our dog is having trouble breathing after inhaling Clorox. It was accidental my... (53937 views)

Sneezing dog. My 1 year old Chihuahua has been sneezing and reverse sneezing for the last couple... (28250 views)

Summer shaving? Is it ok to shave my dogs coat in the summer? will that help to make him... (11124 views)

Full anal glands. full anal... (8828 views)

Dog licking other dog's ear. My roommate's pit/lab mix Champ is moderately obsessed with licking/chewing on my... (66517 views)

Not eating and tired cat. My kitty is a very playful cat. Runs, jumps and cuddles all day long. He is looking... (55524 views)