Tramadol not working.

Breed: mutt
He is on Tramodol 50 mg 3x a day plus 80lbs of Metacam for Arthritis. He was put on Tramadol for pain when lying down -possible his elbows- and moving to his side moaning. Hes had 4 doses of tramadol with no relief. Does Tramadol have to "build up" in his system to "start" to relieve his pain?

Usually, if Tramadol is going to work we should be seeing some results within the first day of treatment.

Tramadol has a really wide dosing range. You may want to ask your vet if they think you should increase the dose.

Sometimes if Tramadol and Metacam are not working I will add a medication called Gabapentin.

You could also talk to your vet about having an orthopedic surgeon do a SHO (Sliding Humeral Osteotomy) which is a surgery which may help him.

Can cats transmit viruses to people hello.. i wanted to ask that my kitten is not vaccinated and she bites and scratches... (5164 views)

Worn footpads. Hi, Dr. Marie: I'm writing to ask you how to treat sore, blistered paws. I pushed... (4545 views)

Should cat have her teeth cleaned? My 13 year old cat recently went for a wellness vet visit at a new vet. The vet... (9186 views)

Can't put weight on his leg. my pit bull is shaking all over a refusing to put weight on his back leg what should... (23822 views)

Dog ate Sentinel Shug got into the Sentinel package...pills are missing...what is the... (11647 views)

Dog biting at tail. I just noticed earlier today Sept. 29th that my Husky has chunks of hair missing... (25786 views)

Can a dog transmit Hep C? Recently my nephew was bitten by a k-9 dog in a mistaken identity situation. My... (15642 views)

Possible laryngeal paralysis. Jet has started making sounds like he is gasping for breath and then coughs. This... (9404 views)

Orange urine in a dog. I have had Moe for two years. He is 17 years old now according to the vet. He... (6175 views)

Can't close mouth. Hi! My cat is 21 years old. Just recently its like his lower jaw has shifted to the... (9175 views)