Puppy vomiting at night.

Breed: Lab
My 5 month old lab is crate trained and in his crate almost nightly he has begun to vomit or try to vomit. This is around 3 am at night so meal time is no where near then. This has been going on 6-8 weeks.

What should we do or how should we stop it?

Shelley

Chronic vomiting can sometimes be a difficult problem to figure out! There are a number of things that could cause a dog to vomit every night.

The first thing I would do in a young dog that is otherwise healthy and eating well is a fecal exam for parasites. I would do this even if the dog has been dewormed because there are some parasites that need special medications to eradicate.

My next concern in a young dog, especially a lab is the possibility of a foreign object in the stomach. I have seen animals that vomit off and on that have something that is sitting in the stomach and occasionally blocking off the outflow of the stomach. One case I had was a cat that ate hair elastics. The owner had not used hair elastics for almost a year, and the cat had been vomiting for a long time. These elastics were sitting in the stomach and causing the cat to vomit every now and then.

There are some dogs who vomit at night time because of a buildup of stomach acid. It may be helpful to give him a small meal just before bedtime to see if this makes a difference.

Another possibility is to give some pepcid (famotidine) at a dose of 1mg per pound in the evenings to help cut down stomach acid.

If it continues though, then a vet visit is the best idea.

Kitten urinating in house. we adopted a 4 month old kitten 3 weeks ago. yesterday he urinated on my husbands... (6080 views)

Dog pulling hair out of wrist. Well, Looks like there was an infection and he's on zeniquin 100 for 14d now.... (23693 views)

How long after flea treatment will my dog stop scratching? We adopted a female german shepherd husky mix. She is about 9 months old and 35... (90488 views)

Itchy behind neck and ears. My cat, fuzzy, is starting to itch behind her neck, her ear area, base of her tail,... (9530 views)

Panting and shaking cat. Hi, My female cat is just over 15 years old. This morning she woke up... (15903 views)

Should we do surgery? Hello Dr. Marie, My cat Gus will be 15 in 3 months. We have been working with his... (9729 views)

Lump after vaccines. ...Hello! My name is Jessie and I have a Teacup Chihuhua named Zeep. He is about 10... (14790 views)

Lump on boxer's neck. Hi, My six yr. old female boxer has a large AA egg size growth below the right tmj... (52352 views)

Limping boston terrier. hi my boston terrier wont put any weight on his back right foot. It started of only... (22506 views)

Sore hips in 1 year old cat. I have a 1 year old cat and she has had "stiff back legs" since we got her at 8... (13629 views)