Puppy vomiting at night.

Breed: Lab
My 5 month old lab is crate trained and in his crate almost nightly he has begun to vomit or try to vomit. This is around 3 am at night so meal time is no where near then. This has been going on 6-8 weeks.

What should we do or how should we stop it?

Shelley

Chronic vomiting can sometimes be a difficult problem to figure out! There are a number of things that could cause a dog to vomit every night.

The first thing I would do in a young dog that is otherwise healthy and eating well is a fecal exam for parasites. I would do this even if the dog has been dewormed because there are some parasites that need special medications to eradicate.

My next concern in a young dog, especially a lab is the possibility of a foreign object in the stomach. I have seen animals that vomit off and on that have something that is sitting in the stomach and occasionally blocking off the outflow of the stomach. One case I had was a cat that ate hair elastics. The owner had not used hair elastics for almost a year, and the cat had been vomiting for a long time. These elastics were sitting in the stomach and causing the cat to vomit every now and then.

There are some dogs who vomit at night time because of a buildup of stomach acid. It may be helpful to give him a small meal just before bedtime to see if this makes a difference.

Another possibility is to give some pepcid (famotidine) at a dose of 1mg per pound in the evenings to help cut down stomach acid.

If it continues though, then a vet visit is the best idea.

Orange urine and trouble walking. my dog is a rottweiler not sure if he is a cross or not and unsure off the age but... (9419 views)

Dog ate moldy food. I know its likely my question won't get answered, and this is a question that can't... (28639 views)

High ALT in a dog. Autumn went to the vet on Sept 29, 2013 with a problem jumping and walking on... (21006 views)

Limping boston terrier. hi my boston terrier wont put any weight on his back right foot. It started of only... (26658 views)

Does my dog have cushing's? Hi Dr. Marie, I took my almost 10 y/o lab to the vet because she has been waking... (7131 views)

No bowel movement after dentistry. Dear Dr Marie, Thank you for creating this website. I have a 12 year old male... (12457 views)

Shedding because of diet? My cat lives indoors, and he's got a shedding problem. I was wondering if he is... (11089 views)

low protein food My brother's cat, who is about 14 years old, recently got bloodwork done at the vet,... (9381 views)

Can a dog transmit Hep C? Recently my nephew was bitten by a k-9 dog in a mistaken identity situation. My... (20561 views)

Bloated stomach in Papillion. my dog had a bloated stomach and had trouble going to the bathroom and the next day... (26601 views)