Puppy vomiting at night.

Breed: Lab
My 5 month old lab is crate trained and in his crate almost nightly he has begun to vomit or try to vomit. This is around 3 am at night so meal time is no where near then. This has been going on 6-8 weeks.

What should we do or how should we stop it?

Shelley

Chronic vomiting can sometimes be a difficult problem to figure out! There are a number of things that could cause a dog to vomit every night.

The first thing I would do in a young dog that is otherwise healthy and eating well is a fecal exam for parasites. I would do this even if the dog has been dewormed because there are some parasites that need special medications to eradicate.

My next concern in a young dog, especially a lab is the possibility of a foreign object in the stomach. I have seen animals that vomit off and on that have something that is sitting in the stomach and occasionally blocking off the outflow of the stomach. One case I had was a cat that ate hair elastics. The owner had not used hair elastics for almost a year, and the cat had been vomiting for a long time. These elastics were sitting in the stomach and causing the cat to vomit every now and then.

There are some dogs who vomit at night time because of a buildup of stomach acid. It may be helpful to give him a small meal just before bedtime to see if this makes a difference.

Another possibility is to give some pepcid (famotidine) at a dose of 1mg per pound in the evenings to help cut down stomach acid.

If it continues though, then a vet visit is the best idea.

Sick kitten We recently found this kitten last week outside, when we found him we estimated that... (9753 views)

Cat suddenly bites or scratches. Hi there....i have a beautiful BIG moggy who is a 'lovecat' - very affectionate -... (16925 views)

Sensitive tail and belly. My cat was spayed almost 5 months ago, and I've noticed since then, that she does... (5324 views)

Guinea Pig Pregnancy info. Hi, i bought a guinea pig from a pet store about a month ago and now, i think shes... (15575 views)

Painful after grooming. My dog, Codey (6 yr old rescue cockapoo) went to the groomer yesterday to get... (20975 views)

Dog ate grapes. Last night at 9PM I took my dog out for a walk. We were in our town and someone had... (42075 views)

Paralyzed dog now walking Emma's back legs have been paralyzed for almost 6 weeks. I took her to the vet and... (9970 views)

Lump on cat's abdomen. My cat has a round, hard spot in her stomach. It has a red dot in the center It... (17437 views)

Pimples around a dog's anus. Hi. My name is Anna and I have a 7 month old, predominantly Rhodesian Ridgeback,... (126272 views)

Trifexis overdose? I think my Beagle gulped down my Coonhound's Trifexis dose. The Beage just had his... (30572 views)