Dog ate goat feces.

Breed: Daschund
We had a baby goat that contracted tetanus. Before we knew he was sick, he was kept in the yard, where he interacted with our 2 Daschunds. One of the dogs were seen eating the goat's feces from the source. I researched this and cannot find a definite answer on if the dog now has Tetanus. She was seen eating the feces about one week ago. How concerned should I be?

Thank You.

It is very rare for a dog to get tetanus and they definitely can't get it from eating goat feces.

There are some parasites that dogs can pick up from eating goat feces such as Parelaphostrongylus tenuis or Muellarius capillaris. However, these parasites do not cause disease in dogs. They would simply pass through without causing any harm.

I hope your goat gets well soon! Don't worry about the dogs though. They will not catch anything from the baby goat.

Thank you so much for the reply, I am greatly relieved and would not hesitate to use your service again. Sadly, we lost the baby goat, as we never dealt with tetanus before and didn't recognize the symptoms until it was too late. We did learn a valuable and heartbreaking lesson.

Thiamine deficiency? My cat has Thiamine deficiency from Wellness pet food. Are the effects for the... (9929 views)

Stuffed up nose. Dear Vet, We have a 12 year old Australian Shepard, 80 pound male. He is not having... (12684 views)

Chronic ehrlichiosis treatment. I have a 7 year old Black Russian Terrier that was diagnosed 1 year ago with... (17853 views)

Eating grass and vomiting. Bleu has always been a resilient dog with now health problems, but over the last... (21630 views)

My dog vomited. Max just threw up. Probably not serous but wanted to check. 30 min ago he was... (15920 views)

Breed dog on next heat? I am interested in breeding my dog when she comes in to heat. What do I need to... (11931 views)

Dog pulling hair out of wrist. Well, Looks like there was an infection and he's on zeniquin 100 for 14d now.... (27952 views)

Old deaf dog. my dog is 16 yrs old and since he's gone deaf he gets very agitated when left,... (10375 views)

dog with bumps on head My dog has 2-3 little lumps on her head, She is smooothe coated, You can feel them... (29631 views)

Hill's k/d for bladder stones Nigel developed kidney stones and had surgery to removed them and re-route the... (10870 views)