Dog ate goat feces.

Breed: Daschund
We had a baby goat that contracted tetanus. Before we knew he was sick, he was kept in the yard, where he interacted with our 2 Daschunds. One of the dogs were seen eating the goat's feces from the source. I researched this and cannot find a definite answer on if the dog now has Tetanus. She was seen eating the feces about one week ago. How concerned should I be?

Thank You.

It is very rare for a dog to get tetanus and they definitely can't get it from eating goat feces.

There are some parasites that dogs can pick up from eating goat feces such as Parelaphostrongylus tenuis or Muellarius capillaris. However, these parasites do not cause disease in dogs. They would simply pass through without causing any harm.

I hope your goat gets well soon! Don't worry about the dogs though. They will not catch anything from the baby goat.

Thank you so much for the reply, I am greatly relieved and would not hesitate to use your service again. Sadly, we lost the baby goat, as we never dealt with tetanus before and didn't recognize the symptoms until it was too late. We did learn a valuable and heartbreaking lesson.

Bloody pee in dalmatian. what does it mean when his pee has blood in it? what should i do... (10224 views)

Did cherry eye surgery fail? My 10 month old baby boy, ralphie, just had a cherry eye surgery yesterday. this... (23997 views)

Cat vomits after eating wet food. My cat has been doing this strange thing, but only after she eats wet food. It... (13800 views)

Flea problems. WELL MY CAT HAD FLEA'S AND I DEFLEAD THE CAT THE PRODUCTS I USED TO DEFLEA MY CAT... (10098 views)

Can dogs get laryngitis? what is a home remedy for a laryngitis? My dog has had it... (13593 views)

Is rescue cat in pain? Hello I took in a stray female cat about 10 days ago. HER behaviour is odd. She... (9322 views)

Liver shunt or MVD Hello Dr. Maria. I have a 6 month old male Dachshund. He went in to get a neuter... (14566 views)

Trouble going to the bathroom. First off i want to say i really wish i could do the paid option so i could for sure... (9299 views)

Not eating, blood tests normal. Hello, Dr. Marie. I'm actually asking this question for my parents about their cat,... (21393 views)

Infection in nose and eye. HI, My dog Bear is 10 yr old black Lab. He weighs 110lb he is overweight, but he is... (8814 views)