Dog ate goat feces.

Breed: Daschund
We had a baby goat that contracted tetanus. Before we knew he was sick, he was kept in the yard, where he interacted with our 2 Daschunds. One of the dogs were seen eating the goat's feces from the source. I researched this and cannot find a definite answer on if the dog now has Tetanus. She was seen eating the feces about one week ago. How concerned should I be?

Thank You.

It is very rare for a dog to get tetanus and they definitely can't get it from eating goat feces.

There are some parasites that dogs can pick up from eating goat feces such as Parelaphostrongylus tenuis or Muellarius capillaris. However, these parasites do not cause disease in dogs. They would simply pass through without causing any harm.

I hope your goat gets well soon! Don't worry about the dogs though. They will not catch anything from the baby goat.

Thank you so much for the reply, I am greatly relieved and would not hesitate to use your service again. Sadly, we lost the baby goat, as we never dealt with tetanus before and didn't recognize the symptoms until it was too late. We did learn a valuable and heartbreaking lesson.

Milk coming out nose. Hi my dog has just had pups 5 weeks ago an since day one, one of the puppies has... (22587 views)

Sluggish Boxer My Boxer got sluggish on the 20th of March so we took him to the vets. They did... (8018 views)

Sore neck Hi Dr. Marie, You've been helpful in the past, so I thought I'd ask you another... (4198 views)

Cat with a cold. My cat has a cold, and i was wondering if there is anything i can do at home for her... (16465 views)

Possible cherry eye? My dog has red bags coming up from under his lower eye lids and covering half his... (6713 views)

Wounds by anus. hello, i have a boxer and it is the third time that he has some kind of wound inside... (17915 views)

Anal sac problems. When I cane home form work I noticed that my dog was bleeding from her anus. I took... (66237 views)

vet question Hi Dr. Marie. My name is Kim. I'm from Sydney, Australia. My dog, Lassie is going on... (8532 views)

Is kennel cough contagious to people? hi my 3 year old standard poodle went to the groomer on wed and today he was... (10673 views)

Cryptosporidium and clostridium. I am hoping for confirmation that we are on the right track with treating our two 11... (18859 views)