Dog ate goat feces.

Breed: Daschund
We had a baby goat that contracted tetanus. Before we knew he was sick, he was kept in the yard, where he interacted with our 2 Daschunds. One of the dogs were seen eating the goat's feces from the source. I researched this and cannot find a definite answer on if the dog now has Tetanus. She was seen eating the feces about one week ago. How concerned should I be?

Thank You.

It is very rare for a dog to get tetanus and they definitely can't get it from eating goat feces.

There are some parasites that dogs can pick up from eating goat feces such as Parelaphostrongylus tenuis or Muellarius capillaris. However, these parasites do not cause disease in dogs. They would simply pass through without causing any harm.

I hope your goat gets well soon! Don't worry about the dogs though. They will not catch anything from the baby goat.

Thank you so much for the reply, I am greatly relieved and would not hesitate to use your service again. Sadly, we lost the baby goat, as we never dealt with tetanus before and didn't recognize the symptoms until it was too late. We did learn a valuable and heartbreaking lesson.

Are lumps related to seizures? Hi, Amber is 10 years old. Since she was young she had frequent seizures, as she... (10273 views)

Backward sneezing and drooling. Firstly I am doing this om my iPhone . I can get email but can not send so please... (16296 views)

All cats in house getting sick. Hi Dr. Marie, I have a household of 6, normally healthy cats. Lately, we have... (4393 views)

Flea problems. I have a ragdoll cat who weighs 15 lbs. I have tried different types of flea control... (8587 views)

Tooth infection. i have an 8 year old pomerian i rescued a few years ago he has real bad teeth right... (5187 views)

Trouble breathing when drinking cold water. My dog Valentino is 16 years old and many times when he drinks water or he is... (11285 views)

Dog unable to move. d help. My dog won't move at all. We got home around 435 this afternoon and she ate... (64581 views)

Sore leg in 16 year old cat. Hello We have a cat that is about 16 years old. The last couple of days she has... (5000 views)

Peripheral Nerve Sheath Tumor Two years ago, Sheena was diagnosed with neurofibrosarcoma, or peripheral nerve... (12417 views)

Blind, deaf and no sense of smell. Jack was diagnosed as hyperthyroid in February and has been on methimazole since... (6550 views)