Dog ate goat feces.

Breed: Daschund
We had a baby goat that contracted tetanus. Before we knew he was sick, he was kept in the yard, where he interacted with our 2 Daschunds. One of the dogs were seen eating the goat's feces from the source. I researched this and cannot find a definite answer on if the dog now has Tetanus. She was seen eating the feces about one week ago. How concerned should I be?

Thank You.

It is very rare for a dog to get tetanus and they definitely can't get it from eating goat feces.

There are some parasites that dogs can pick up from eating goat feces such as Parelaphostrongylus tenuis or Muellarius capillaris. However, these parasites do not cause disease in dogs. They would simply pass through without causing any harm.

I hope your goat gets well soon! Don't worry about the dogs though. They will not catch anything from the baby goat.

Thank you so much for the reply, I am greatly relieved and would not hesitate to use your service again. Sadly, we lost the baby goat, as we never dealt with tetanus before and didn't recognize the symptoms until it was too late. We did learn a valuable and heartbreaking lesson.

No bowel movement after dentistry. Dear Dr Marie, Thank you for creating this website. I have a 12 year old male... (10770 views)

Trim ferret's teeth? can you trim your ferrets teeth so that when they bite it wont hurt as much and if... (8485 views)

Cats not eating. Viral Infection in Throat? I have 3 cats at home (in Singapore, Asia). 1... (11431 views)

Bone cancer in leg. Hello My cat is 13 years old he was always a big cat and then became a big fat cat.... (16515 views)

bloat in boerboels Hello. I'm currently looking at information about the boerboel. I'm thinking about... (10492 views)

Problems after anesthetic. My cat was put on anesthia for the blood draw, which was not approved by me. This... (22838 views)

Painful dog. I have a small dog, under 20 pounds, that I rescued off the street in Mexico. I'm... (8652 views)

Big belly in stray cat. Hello, One day a stray cat showed up at our Home, We could tell she was expecting.... (24389 views)

Swollen vulva. "I have a female Rat Terrier who is 6 months old and I was wondering if its normal... (32820 views)

Penis discharge in dog. Hello. My male Jack Russell dog is now 6-7 months old and lately, he has been... (97946 views)