Dog ate goat feces.

Breed: Daschund
We had a baby goat that contracted tetanus. Before we knew he was sick, he was kept in the yard, where he interacted with our 2 Daschunds. One of the dogs were seen eating the goat's feces from the source. I researched this and cannot find a definite answer on if the dog now has Tetanus. She was seen eating the feces about one week ago. How concerned should I be?

Thank You.

It is very rare for a dog to get tetanus and they definitely can't get it from eating goat feces.

There are some parasites that dogs can pick up from eating goat feces such as Parelaphostrongylus tenuis or Muellarius capillaris. However, these parasites do not cause disease in dogs. They would simply pass through without causing any harm.

I hope your goat gets well soon! Don't worry about the dogs though. They will not catch anything from the baby goat.

Thank you so much for the reply, I am greatly relieved and would not hesitate to use your service again. Sadly, we lost the baby goat, as we never dealt with tetanus before and didn't recognize the symptoms until it was too late. We did learn a valuable and heartbreaking lesson.

Coughing Dog. my dog is coffing all of a suden and hes haveing trouble breathing but hes acting as... (16778 views)

Black spot on dog's nose. Hi my name is Joanne I noticed about a week ago my 8 year old lab had a small black... (32883 views)

My cat died. My cat was found dead by a neighbour on a grass verge about 10ft from the road on... (13925 views)

Itchy scrotum after grooming. Our dog is constantly licking his area where his testicles used to be (he is... (36752 views)

Vomiting bile. My dog has been throwing up all day, and all though the night. The throw up is... (43982 views)

Cleansing diet for dogs? I've just heard about the Chinese dog treat scare, and I'm going to check all my... (7712 views)

Itchy dog. whats would be the best flea medication for a my dog?? hes been chewing for months... (10590 views)

Tick Borne Disease. I took my dog to the vet on both Friday and Saturday. He has a fever. He has a... (12779 views)

Dogs eyes are lazy. Within the past 2 days I have noticed my dog's eyes are turing outward, like they... (104208 views)

Should I do these tests? I have two shih tzu's from the same litter. They were born on 1/29/09, so they are... (19201 views)