low protein food

Breed: not sure, american s
My brother's cat, who is about 14 years old, recently got bloodwork done at the vet, while having her teeth cleaned. 3 teeth were pulled. The vet said the cat has chronic renal disease, which is genetic. He recommended a low protein cat food HILLS PRESCRIPTION DIET. THe only flavor is chicken. First, can the cat eat chicken for every meal, it doesn't sound healthy. And I have been told that cats require high protein diets, so will she suffer adverse consequences of a low protein diet while trying to save her kidney function. THe cat lives to eat, so it sounds like punishment in one sense, however, I understand its important not to stress her kidneys. Do you have an answer.

Thank you in advance. and Cornmuffin thanks you also.

Hi and thanks for your question. There are a number of things in prescription renal diets (including Hill's k/d) that make them helpful to a cat's kidneys.

The reason why we want to restrict the protein level is because large protein molecules are harder for the kidney to process.

I often get people asking me if they can use "so and so food" from the pet store because the label says it has the same amount of protein as the prescription food. But, this doesn't tell us about the quality of the protein.

The prescription foods also have things in them to help reduce the phosphorus level. If phosphorus goes high in a cat with renal disease then the cat starts to really not feel well.

There is no need to worry that you are going to do harm by feeding a low protein diet. The people who make these diets know what they are doing and do indeed have the cat's best interest at heart. Of course, they want to sell more food, and the best way to do that is to help the cat live longer!

If your cat reaches a point where she was eating the special food and no longer is eating anymore, don't make the mistake of assuming that she doesn't like the food. Often, this can mean that the phosphorus level is starting to go up as well as the renal enzymes. If she is not eating then a trip back to the vet may be necessary.

I hope this helps!

Itchy and meowing. Hi my female cat is 14 she has been very itchy lately she is a indoor cat only she's... (6257 views)

Limping cat with heart problems. Hudson is a 10 year old indoor house cat. He originally came from a garbage dump in... (14125 views)

Tooth infection. i have an 8 year old pomerian i rescued a few years ago he has real bad teeth right... (5077 views)

Vulva dermatitis. Good Morning Doctor: My 6 year old Golden(Honey) has an infection around her female... (25111 views)

Not eating and vomiting. Our Dog won't eat and drinks very little if any. Friday last weekend Harper's... (15318 views)

Good chew toys for dogs. Hi Dr, I have a 9 month old dog who is part Golden and part Canadian beaver. He... (14205 views)

Possible silent heat. She went into heat last year in August for the first time. She has not gone into... (12515 views)

Cat's foot is swollen. His left back foot is swollen and his paw. Ever since it was swollen he has been... (6904 views)

Full anal glands. full anal... (6392 views)

Cat has scabs on neck. Hi! My cat wont stop scratching himself..he is an indoor cat and it just randomly... (11419 views)