low protein food

Breed: not sure, american s
My brother's cat, who is about 14 years old, recently got bloodwork done at the vet, while having her teeth cleaned. 3 teeth were pulled. The vet said the cat has chronic renal disease, which is genetic. He recommended a low protein cat food HILLS PRESCRIPTION DIET. THe only flavor is chicken. First, can the cat eat chicken for every meal, it doesn't sound healthy. And I have been told that cats require high protein diets, so will she suffer adverse consequences of a low protein diet while trying to save her kidney function. THe cat lives to eat, so it sounds like punishment in one sense, however, I understand its important not to stress her kidneys. Do you have an answer.

Thank you in advance. and Cornmuffin thanks you also.

Need help finding a veterinarian in your area? Click here for Dr. Marie's advice on
finding a good veterinarian near you.

Hi and thanks for your question. There are a number of things in prescription renal diets (including Hill's k/d) that make them helpful to a cat's kidneys.

The reason why we want to restrict the protein level is because large protein molecules are harder for the kidney to process.

I often get people asking me if they can use "so and so food" from the pet store because the label says it has the same amount of protein as the prescription food. But, this doesn't tell us about the quality of the protein.

The prescription foods also have things in them to help reduce the phosphorus level. If phosphorus goes high in a cat with renal disease then the cat starts to really not feel well.

There is no need to worry that you are going to do harm by feeding a low protein diet. The people who make these diets know what they are doing and do indeed have the cat's best interest at heart. Of course, they want to sell more food, and the best way to do that is to help the cat live longer!

If your cat reaches a point where she was eating the special food and no longer is eating anymore, don't make the mistake of assuming that she doesn't like the food. Often, this can mean that the phosphorus level is starting to go up as well as the renal enzymes. If she is not eating then a trip back to the vet may be necessary.

I hope this helps!

QUIZ: Is your cat secretly planning to murder you?

Have you tried the Purr Pillow? This is one of Dr. Marie's top recommended pet products for 2016.

Diarrhea in chihuahua. Hello. I need some help in trying to diagnose my 4 month old chihuahua puppy. Let me... (4543 views)

Cat with asthma. My cat sam is 9 yrs old. he weighs about 16 pounds. He has coughing spells about 3... (3874 views)

Should this tumor be removed? My neice's 8-month old cavoodle has a growth on his shoulder. When we first noticed... (9677 views)

Bladder stone surgery. I just returned from the vet where my dog still is. It was discovered through... (14768 views)

Itchy feet, belly, tail. I live in MA with my dog. We went to NY (an hour north of NYC) at the very beginning... (17621 views)

Underweight dog. Dear Dr. Marie, I have three dogs, one of whom, Mushka (mixed breed), has been... (7931 views)

Do cats get leptospirosis? Hi... My Name is Dasha.. i'm from Jakarta, Indonesia. I had a kitten, named Lilo,... (7965 views)

Aggressive dog torn nail Lincoln split his nail 2 weeks ago. I put Neosporin on it and wrapped it with a... (3120 views)

Dog died suddenly. Please help me....My dog lucky (6) was found dead at the side of our house the other... (34574 views)

Older dog having seizures. She has been having more vestibular events lately and closer to each other and I'm... (4072 views)