Limping kitten.

Breed: calico cat
I got a kitten on Monday. They said she is about 5 or 6 weeks old. For the first three days, she was active and playful, hopping around, biting at my finger, etc. When I got home from work last night, she was limping on her front left paw, but would still eat. Now she won't eat or drink and is having tyrouble standing. Fell over into her food plate when I tried to feed her?

Oh dear. It really doesn't sound like Pepper is feeling well.

I can think of a few things that could cause these symptoms but I won't be able to say for certain without seeing Pepper.

It's possible that she has an abscess or infection somewhere on that leg. It could be the result of a bite from one of her littermates. It can take several days for the infection to get bad enough to affect her. Often times there can be infection under the skin and we can't see the original wound. The infection can cause fever which can cause her to have a lack of appetite. The difficulty standing could be because of the pain when she puts weight on that leg.

It's also possible that she has suffered some neurological trauma to that leg. This could happen from having the leg traumatically pulled (i.e. by a young child) or stepped on.

Another possibility is a fracture in that leg. It doesn't take much to fracture a bone for a kitten.

This is unlikely, but did Pepper receive any vaccinations in the last few days? (She's a little young for that, but it's possible.) There is a rare complication related to vaccinations called "limping kitten syndrome."

In any case, this is a situation where Pepper should really see a vet today. I don't like it when kittens don't want to eat. If she has an infection or a serious painful issue like a neurological trauma or a fracture then this needs to be addressed right away!

I really hope she is ok!

Vomited dewormer. I took Tommy to get his 12wk shots at Petco. He was given a yellow oral medicine not... (6191 views)

Phenobarbital and Zonisamide. Ziggy had cluster seizures as a puppy and we have been controlling them (averages... (7388 views)

Anisocoria in 15 year old cat. Taz is 15 years old. For the past couple weeks I have noticed that her right eye is... (5561 views)

Did cat die from eating fertilizer? Hello, a couple of days ago I found one of my cats dead in the garden. Although he... (10009 views)

Dog drank a mug of hot chocolate. what should i do my dog is 2,7 kg and she might die because she is SO small please... (27835 views)

Diarrhea and pale gums in a kitten. My cat has dirra for about two week i have notice his gum is pale pink what should... (9259 views)

Itchy ears and bum. My dog keeps scratching at her ears and shakes her head a lot. I clean her ears and... (14098 views)

Bloody diarrhea. Hi Marie its 630 and there is no open vet or petstore/grooming in site =( then i... (47597 views)

How much exercise for a puppy? Hi Dr Marie, I'm pleased to report Max is doing well.. changing from Iams to p/d... (7713 views)

Heterochromia in a cat. I recently got a cat as a rescue. She is white, with light grey and yellow... (10955 views)