Limping kitten.

Breed: calico cat
I got a kitten on Monday. They said she is about 5 or 6 weeks old. For the first three days, she was active and playful, hopping around, biting at my finger, etc. When I got home from work last night, she was limping on her front left paw, but would still eat. Now she won't eat or drink and is having tyrouble standing. Fell over into her food plate when I tried to feed her?

Oh dear. It really doesn't sound like Pepper is feeling well.

I can think of a few things that could cause these symptoms but I won't be able to say for certain without seeing Pepper.

It's possible that she has an abscess or infection somewhere on that leg. It could be the result of a bite from one of her littermates. It can take several days for the infection to get bad enough to affect her. Often times there can be infection under the skin and we can't see the original wound. The infection can cause fever which can cause her to have a lack of appetite. The difficulty standing could be because of the pain when she puts weight on that leg.

It's also possible that she has suffered some neurological trauma to that leg. This could happen from having the leg traumatically pulled (i.e. by a young child) or stepped on.

Another possibility is a fracture in that leg. It doesn't take much to fracture a bone for a kitten.

This is unlikely, but did Pepper receive any vaccinations in the last few days? (She's a little young for that, but it's possible.) There is a rare complication related to vaccinations called "limping kitten syndrome."

In any case, this is a situation where Pepper should really see a vet today. I don't like it when kittens don't want to eat. If she has an infection or a serious painful issue like a neurological trauma or a fracture then this needs to be addressed right away!

I really hope she is ok!

Cat died after intestinal surgery. Hi, I tried to send email this morning but some how pay pal didn't take me to right... (8020 views)

Allergic reaction and diarrhea. Dr, My 3 1/2 year old basset hound is having multiple issues that in my best... (9950 views)

Died after grooming. Hi, my puppy recently died and was wondering if you could help me, she had a trip to... (8237 views)

Pit bull has bald patches. Hi, we have beeen to the vet three different times and he still breaking out and... (4361 views)

Yorkie having seizures. my dog has fits his back legs go stiff he then starts panting excessively his fur is... (8592 views)

Puppy has diarrhea. Hi Dr. Marie. We just got a puppy and she has some diarrhea. We got her on Saturday... (26370 views)

Cat's foot is swollen. His left back foot is swollen and his paw. Ever since it was swollen he has been... (7017 views)

Lump near penis. I have a one year old male dashund dog. He got all his shots. For two days he... (8910 views)

Third eyelids in cats. my cat having an eye problem...her eye close half by some kind of white thing...i... (56382 views)

OK to keep cats in a small room? I am concerned for two cats that I know. They live in a house where they are... (4897 views)