Limping kitten.

Breed: calico cat
I got a kitten on Monday. They said she is about 5 or 6 weeks old. For the first three days, she was active and playful, hopping around, biting at my finger, etc. When I got home from work last night, she was limping on her front left paw, but would still eat. Now she won't eat or drink and is having tyrouble standing. Fell over into her food plate when I tried to feed her?

Oh dear. It really doesn't sound like Pepper is feeling well.

I can think of a few things that could cause these symptoms but I won't be able to say for certain without seeing Pepper.

It's possible that she has an abscess or infection somewhere on that leg. It could be the result of a bite from one of her littermates. It can take several days for the infection to get bad enough to affect her. Often times there can be infection under the skin and we can't see the original wound. The infection can cause fever which can cause her to have a lack of appetite. The difficulty standing could be because of the pain when she puts weight on that leg.

It's also possible that she has suffered some neurological trauma to that leg. This could happen from having the leg traumatically pulled (i.e. by a young child) or stepped on.

Another possibility is a fracture in that leg. It doesn't take much to fracture a bone for a kitten.

This is unlikely, but did Pepper receive any vaccinations in the last few days? (She's a little young for that, but it's possible.) There is a rare complication related to vaccinations called "limping kitten syndrome."

In any case, this is a situation where Pepper should really see a vet today. I don't like it when kittens don't want to eat. If she has an infection or a serious painful issue like a neurological trauma or a fracture then this needs to be addressed right away!

I really hope she is ok!

Dog ate goat feces. Hello, We had a baby goat that contracted tetanus. Before we knew he was sick, he... (14267 views)

Swollen glands in neck. 7 year old corgie, swollen glands in neck, possible swelling in abdominal area near... (27865 views)

Grove snail care. Dear Dr. Marie, Hi. My snail has been burying himself lately, so whenever I want... (13919 views)

Clear discharge from eye. Hi there, My one year old cat has had a slight watery discharge from her left eye... (12547 views)

Interview tips for veterinary technicians. I actually had a question not related to a pet, if that is okay. What advice would... (7265 views)

Is my cat pregnant? How can I tell if my cat is pregnant? She has a big belly and I want to know if... (12259 views)

Infected spay incision? Puppy got spayed about 12 days ago and her incision was healing really quickly. Now,... (79371 views)

Ringworm treatment in cat. First, thank you for your previous help with my questions. I have 2 issues with... (19246 views)

Genetics of lymphoma for Goldens. Its been a tough week. This question is looking hopefully many years down the... (6597 views)

Bald spots on bulldog's legs. We purchased a baby bulldog about a month ago. We already had a bulldog, Mina, and... (29531 views)