Can't bear weight.

Breed: Mixed breed
This isn't my pet, it is my sister in law's pet. Over the past few months, the dog limps. She is active, she runs around alot outside. Suddenly one of her back legs will give out (it varies, sometimes it's the right, sometimes the left) The dog won't put weight down on it. She will hobble and limp anywhere from 5 min to 20 min. Then she will slowly put the leg down and start running around again like she's fine. It has happened frequently lately and they don't seem to think the dog should be checked out. I beg to differ. I thinl the dog needs to go to the vet. Any ideas what it could be? And how can I persuade them to get her checked? Thanks

I'm wondering if what you are describing is something called a patellar luxation. You didn't mention the dog's size, but this is most common in little dogs.

There is a surgery that can be done to fix this.

You can tell your sister in law that it is best to get this dealt with now. If it goes untreated for too long it can lead to more problems such as severe arthritis in the joint.

Dog shedding like crazy. my dog is shedding like crazy year round what should i do? ... (10618 views)

Toxoplasmosis and pregnancy. Hi there, Ive recently found out I am pregnant (6 weeks) and wanted some advice... (14229 views)

Blood in poop. Hi There, I found a few drops of blood last night in and near my puppies poo. Not... (53673 views)

Advantage Multi Reaction? Cat losing weight after advantage multi treatment, what can I do to make him start... (7573 views)

Do dogs get sciatica? Hi, about three weeks ago zues' back legs seemed week and clumsy and he was dripping... (13348 views)

Swollen lab. Hi, my name is Ron Lamoureux. One month ago I noticed that my 2 yr old Lab... (9001 views)

When can my dog see other dogs? How long before my dog can be around people that own dogs? He gets his first set of... (7635 views)

Tumor on a guinea pig. Hi Marie, My daughter's 14 month old guinea pig has a tumor with a thick, scaly... (12980 views)

Kitten with yellow diarrhea. Hi. My neighbor just called me about three days ago and asked if i would help nurse... (10113 views)

When to euthanize dog with arthritis. Hello. I'm going through a really hard time right now, trying to make a decision... (39651 views)