Can't bear weight.

Breed: Mixed breed
This isn't my pet, it is my sister in law's pet. Over the past few months, the dog limps. She is active, she runs around alot outside. Suddenly one of her back legs will give out (it varies, sometimes it's the right, sometimes the left) The dog won't put weight down on it. She will hobble and limp anywhere from 5 min to 20 min. Then she will slowly put the leg down and start running around again like she's fine. It has happened frequently lately and they don't seem to think the dog should be checked out. I beg to differ. I thinl the dog needs to go to the vet. Any ideas what it could be? And how can I persuade them to get her checked? Thanks

I'm wondering if what you are describing is something called a patellar luxation. You didn't mention the dog's size, but this is most common in little dogs.

There is a surgery that can be done to fix this.

You can tell your sister in law that it is best to get this dealt with now. If it goes untreated for too long it can lead to more problems such as severe arthritis in the joint.

Large lymph nodes. I spoke with you on sunday night about my shih tzu., I brought him to the vet on... (23214 views)

Coughing chihuahua My chihuahua has had an intermittent cough since roughly last year when she had most... (14890 views)

Exercise after a spay? Kallie got spayed last Tuesday (July 3). She still has her stitches. We have been... (6774 views)

Cause of high ALP? mickey a male is 6 and 1/2 years old. he was prescribed on 8/12/11 rimadyl (1/2 75mg... (12475 views)

Chronic and acute kidney disease. My dog is a 3 and half year old toy poodle. About 3 month before, he was diagnosed... (8757 views)

Red gums next to baby teeth. Hi Dr, This question concerns Max gums. Recall a month ago he had two occluded... (12245 views)

Rabbit thymoma? Okay. Hi. I'm very concerned about my bun. I have gone to the vet twice. The first... (19808 views)

Sick, limping puppy. Good Evening I know my puppy needs to go to the vet however the vet will not be... (8590 views)

Possible distemper or kennel cough. I adopted Bub from the SPCA on August 13 and he was taken to the Vet on Aug 17 for... (8941 views)

Vomiting puppy. My 30 day old Lab is pukes when I feed him milk and I think is dehydrated as his... (11649 views)