Can't bear weight.

Breed: Mixed breed
This isn't my pet, it is my sister in law's pet. Over the past few months, the dog limps. She is active, she runs around alot outside. Suddenly one of her back legs will give out (it varies, sometimes it's the right, sometimes the left) The dog won't put weight down on it. She will hobble and limp anywhere from 5 min to 20 min. Then she will slowly put the leg down and start running around again like she's fine. It has happened frequently lately and they don't seem to think the dog should be checked out. I beg to differ. I thinl the dog needs to go to the vet. Any ideas what it could be? And how can I persuade them to get her checked? Thanks

I'm wondering if what you are describing is something called a patellar luxation. You didn't mention the dog's size, but this is most common in little dogs.

There is a surgery that can be done to fix this.

You can tell your sister in law that it is best to get this dealt with now. If it goes untreated for too long it can lead to more problems such as severe arthritis in the joint.

Gradual change of food? Hello, I reside in South Korea and I am the father of 3 cocker spaniels. Recently... (8086 views)

Cat meows constantly. Hello- Our 8 year old male cat meows constantly, and he does things like dribble... (9639 views)

Is ketoconazole safe? Hi. My 6 y/o Papillon has suffered fron skin problems his whole life. I've been told... (4570 views)

Dog died after surgery. On Saturday evening my daughters 6 month old dog swallowed a needle which got her... (12766 views)

Morning after pill for dogs? Is there a "morning after pill" for dogs? ... (27546 views)

Pitbull with breathing problems. My daughter rescued a pit bull a few years ago. He has been an amazing dog. However,... (12929 views)

Facial lymph nodes on a dog. My puppy has a lump under each eye. Almost like a gland. I have no clue, maybe tumor... (21944 views)

Dog eats my underwear. This is going to sound weird but this is a real question. My dog keeps licking mine... (36375 views)

Boxer having seizures. Questions about seizures and MRI. Hello, My question is VERY similar to the... (7119 views)

Dog or cat pooping in house. Everyday – twice a day – morning and when I get home from work –... (18639 views)