Can't bear weight.

Breed: Mixed breed
This isn't my pet, it is my sister in law's pet. Over the past few months, the dog limps. She is active, she runs around alot outside. Suddenly one of her back legs will give out (it varies, sometimes it's the right, sometimes the left) The dog won't put weight down on it. She will hobble and limp anywhere from 5 min to 20 min. Then she will slowly put the leg down and start running around again like she's fine. It has happened frequently lately and they don't seem to think the dog should be checked out. I beg to differ. I thinl the dog needs to go to the vet. Any ideas what it could be? And how can I persuade them to get her checked? Thanks

I'm wondering if what you are describing is something called a patellar luxation. You didn't mention the dog's size, but this is most common in little dogs.

There is a surgery that can be done to fix this.

You can tell your sister in law that it is best to get this dealt with now. If it goes untreated for too long it can lead to more problems such as severe arthritis in the joint.

Dog keeps licking butt. My dog keeps licking her butt. I took her 2 days ago to have her anal glands... (20570 views)

Heartworm treatment. Sam was a rescue, we believe that he is a little over two years old and a pit / lab... (7891 views)

Remend (The dog is not mine) A friend is asking me to get Remend for their dog from a... (25945 views)

Cat is whiney when peeing my 12 yr old cat cherokee had a bladder infection about 2 months ago. i changed the... (8193 views)

Can't lift tail. my Golden Retriever's tail doesn't lift up like it normally does. She can still wag... (16699 views)

Can dogs eat fruits and vegetables? Can dogs eat vegatbles or fruits. Thank... (12179 views)

Is it ok to shave a cat? Dear Dr. Marie, Greetings from Singapore! This is my 4th time writing to... (12972 views)

Liver shunt or exercise induced collapse? Hello Dr. Marie, I have a 2 year old female lab named Harper. Harper loves to play... (6653 views)

Is my dog in heat? my dog was really sick and she wouldnt eat. then after a few days she got better and... (34954 views)

Aggressive cat. I have had 2 cats same amount of time. Julia has started hissing, growling, and... (9823 views)