Can't bear weight.

Breed: Mixed breed
This isn't my pet, it is my sister in law's pet. Over the past few months, the dog limps. She is active, she runs around alot outside. Suddenly one of her back legs will give out (it varies, sometimes it's the right, sometimes the left) The dog won't put weight down on it. She will hobble and limp anywhere from 5 min to 20 min. Then she will slowly put the leg down and start running around again like she's fine. It has happened frequently lately and they don't seem to think the dog should be checked out. I beg to differ. I thinl the dog needs to go to the vet. Any ideas what it could be? And how can I persuade them to get her checked? Thanks

I'm wondering if what you are describing is something called a patellar luxation. You didn't mention the dog's size, but this is most common in little dogs.

There is a surgery that can be done to fix this.

You can tell your sister in law that it is best to get this dealt with now. If it goes untreated for too long it can lead to more problems such as severe arthritis in the joint.

Guinea pig-Scab and itchy. my guinea pig is scratching a sore what is wrong with... (13111 views)

Famotidine for kidney disease. Coco had an ultrasound scan yesterday to confirm she has bilateral kidney cancer.... (13940 views)

Female dog humping. My female pit bull everyday, anytime I lay down on my couch or bed, she jumps up on... (11027 views)

Ear Cleaning. I'd like to know is a vinegar and water solution a good home remedy for my dogs... (28648 views)

Bone cancer in leg. Hello My cat is 13 years old he was always a big cat and then became a big fat cat.... (19592 views)

Recurring respiratory symptoms. My 1 yr old Burmese cat was purchased with what we think is cat flu. She has... (14427 views)

Stroke or brain tumor? I have been doing a lot of searching on the internet over the weekend and am glad... (13574 views)

Severe arthritis and leaking urine. Hi we have a 13 year old dog with long term hip dysplasia. he has cartrophen once a... (15695 views)

White tongue after neuter. My dog got neutered couple of days ago and seems to be recovering fine. He is eating... (12901 views)

Dog ate moldy food. I know its likely my question won't get answered, and this is a question that can't... (30074 views)