Can't bear weight.

Breed: Mixed breed
This isn't my pet, it is my sister in law's pet. Over the past few months, the dog limps. She is active, she runs around alot outside. Suddenly one of her back legs will give out (it varies, sometimes it's the right, sometimes the left) The dog won't put weight down on it. She will hobble and limp anywhere from 5 min to 20 min. Then she will slowly put the leg down and start running around again like she's fine. It has happened frequently lately and they don't seem to think the dog should be checked out. I beg to differ. I thinl the dog needs to go to the vet. Any ideas what it could be? And how can I persuade them to get her checked? Thanks

I'm wondering if what you are describing is something called a patellar luxation. You didn't mention the dog's size, but this is most common in little dogs.

There is a surgery that can be done to fix this.

You can tell your sister in law that it is best to get this dealt with now. If it goes untreated for too long it can lead to more problems such as severe arthritis in the joint.

Scabs on cat's ears. Our cat has spots on her ears that look like bites or sores. We have had her to the... (9279 views)

Cat losing weight. I have had my 10 year-old cat on Tapazole for about a year, but in the past couple... (9312 views)

Ear infection. last year my dog came home with an infection after being groomed. she has been on 4... (20666 views)

Coughing and sneezing dog. I have a three month old teacup Yorkie. He had a check up last week and got his... (28775 views)

Does my cat have feline leukemia? have a 6 year old female cat with up to date FeLV and FIV vaccinations. She has the... (5570 views)

Cat pooping in the house. Princess has recently started pooping around the house (about 2 months). I have had... (24083 views)

Tapeworm contagious? I have a 3-4 yr old Siamese cat named Vincent....I got him from a shelter as a... (29432 views)

Radiation danger to pets? I am currently undergoing radioactive iodine therapy and my doctor says that I need... (35940 views)

Jack Russel skin problems. My Jack Russel has bad skin. Every now and again she gets really itchy and has bald... (16760 views)

Guinea pig biting. How I can gently dissuade my guinea pig from nibbling and nipping me? Recently my... (8996 views)