Pink growths on chest of dog.

Breed: Rat Terrier Mix
Sometime in the past 4 weeks my dog has developed small string like pink growths on his chest. He has 4 or 5 and it looks like more are on the way.

I can provide a picture is that will help....

Hi there and thanks for your question!

This certainly sounds like a situation where a picture would be helpful.

You can email a picture to drmarie@askavetquestion.com. I'll have a look and see if I can help you out!

OK, thanks for the excellent picture! Dante looks like a sweetheart!

Those are interesting growths. From the pictures they look like they could be skin tags. It is a little bit unusual to see a bunch of them appear all of a sudden like this. However, I have had a similar case of a dog who had skin tags that were all clustered near the breastbone. It was determined that the dog's skin was irritated by a rough surface he was lying on repeatedly and that somehow the irritation stimulated the skin to grow the tags. However, this is definitely not common!

The lumps could also be a viral type of wart called a papilloma virus. However, they usually look more like rough pieces of cauliflower. The growths on Dante look smoother than this.

If this were my case I would likely advise doing a biopsy of one of these to determine what they are. They are extremely unlikely to be cancerous but it is always a good idea to check every unusual skin growth.

I hope that helps!

Herpes and sore mouth. My 2 year old short hair tabby was diagnosed with FHV quite early on.. he's been... (14382 views)

Diarrhea resolves with Cephalexin. Dear Dr. Marie, I’ve been in the throes of a medical mystery with my beloved... (14482 views)

Chin acne. Hi there, My cat came down with a case of feline acne, probably caused by stress,... (11040 views)

Did my dog mate? hello my female dog was on her 2nd heat around 2months ago she got out my garden... (9394 views)

Cat attacked by dog. My cat lulu was just attacked by a dog today....i'm a new mommy...and currently... (7013 views)

High ALKP and bile acids. Hi Dr. Marie I value your opinion so much and I do respect and understand that... (18113 views)

Will neutering stop a dog peeing on things? hi i my dog pisses on everything well getting him fixes stop that thanks... (11619 views)

Swelling near dogs penis My dog is currently at the Vet, but the vet doesn't seem to understand the symptom I... (97204 views)

Infected wound? Hi, my cat is indoor and outdoor (she has the face of an Egyptian Mau & its head... (4197 views)

Thin after back injury. A friend found a dog years ago on the side of the road with an broken back. Break... (12613 views)