Pink growths on chest of dog.

Breed: Rat Terrier Mix
Sometime in the past 4 weeks my dog has developed small string like pink growths on his chest. He has 4 or 5 and it looks like more are on the way.

I can provide a picture is that will help....

Hi there and thanks for your question!

This certainly sounds like a situation where a picture would be helpful.

You can email a picture to drmarie@askavetquestion.com. I'll have a look and see if I can help you out!

OK, thanks for the excellent picture! Dante looks like a sweetheart!

Those are interesting growths. From the pictures they look like they could be skin tags. It is a little bit unusual to see a bunch of them appear all of a sudden like this. However, I have had a similar case of a dog who had skin tags that were all clustered near the breastbone. It was determined that the dog's skin was irritated by a rough surface he was lying on repeatedly and that somehow the irritation stimulated the skin to grow the tags. However, this is definitely not common!

The lumps could also be a viral type of wart called a papilloma virus. However, they usually look more like rough pieces of cauliflower. The growths on Dante look smoother than this.

If this were my case I would likely advise doing a biopsy of one of these to determine what they are. They are extremely unlikely to be cancerous but it is always a good idea to check every unusual skin growth.

I hope that helps!

Loss of muscle mass on one leg. My dog has lost muscle mass on just ONE hind leg and is getting worse everyday. He... (22372 views)

Golden Retriever Losing Weight. Hi my dog is 13 years old ,and tough he acts fine ,and goes walking everyday,he has... (15951 views)

Dog's face is swollen. my dog's face is swollen, her muzzle is swollen on both sides and very firm/hard... (128183 views)

Cat is sneezing a lot. I have a two year old cat. I adopted her from a shelter last December. When I... (28824 views)

Golden Retriever puppy diarrhea. Dr, All of a sudden last Sunday my 8 week old male Golden had two large stools... (18766 views)

Dog licking other dog's ear. My roommate's pit/lab mix Champ is moderately obsessed with licking/chewing on my... (54507 views)

Elevated kidney enzymes. I brought my dog, Trixie (10 year old Shih Tzu) in this morning for her yearly... (17012 views)

Quiet after dentistry. Good morning...this may be lengthy...sorry. Despite my cats advanced age of 17,... (5104 views)

Wounds by anus. hello, i have a boxer and it is the third time that he has some kind of wound inside... (17916 views)

Thumping back legs. My cat started throwing up Sunday. Yesterday he started thumping his back feet and... (20717 views)