Pink growths on chest of dog.

Breed: Rat Terrier Mix
Sometime in the past 4 weeks my dog has developed small string like pink growths on his chest. He has 4 or 5 and it looks like more are on the way.

I can provide a picture is that will help....

Hi there and thanks for your question!

This certainly sounds like a situation where a picture would be helpful.

You can email a picture to drmarie@askavetquestion.com. I'll have a look and see if I can help you out!

OK, thanks for the excellent picture! Dante looks like a sweetheart!

Those are interesting growths. From the pictures they look like they could be skin tags. It is a little bit unusual to see a bunch of them appear all of a sudden like this. However, I have had a similar case of a dog who had skin tags that were all clustered near the breastbone. It was determined that the dog's skin was irritated by a rough surface he was lying on repeatedly and that somehow the irritation stimulated the skin to grow the tags. However, this is definitely not common!

The lumps could also be a viral type of wart called a papilloma virus. However, they usually look more like rough pieces of cauliflower. The growths on Dante look smoother than this.

If this were my case I would likely advise doing a biopsy of one of these to determine what they are. They are extremely unlikely to be cancerous but it is always a good idea to check every unusual skin growth.

I hope that helps!

Dog pees in the house. Woody has been peeing when I have gone to work in the bedroom. I take him out... (10792 views)

Kitten died after anesthetic. Dear Dr. Marie, We are heartbroken. Our 5 MONTH old spyhnx kitten passed away... (11375 views)

Beagle Pain Syndrome? My 10 year old beagle in November had an ear infection that caused him to develop... (24005 views)

Non healing abscess I'm sorry I had to choose the free option, but I'm skint because of the ongoing vet... (9683 views)

Protein in urine. Hi, My Yorkie is 12 and had smelly pee starting in September 2010. I took a sample... (12983 views)

Dog with back problems. I know it's log winded, but I wanted to include all the information... (21586 views)

Jack Russel skin problems. My Jack Russel has bad skin. Every now and again she gets really itchy and has bald... (19553 views)

How to get guinea pig to gain weight. Hi! Remember me? Some days ago one of my friends gave me a guinea pig that she... (17935 views)

Skin infection is back. Hello Doctor, My dog has had open sores on his ears, neck and back. They start as... (10773 views)

Coughing cat. i have a indoor cat - about 10 years old... she had been staying in our... (13931 views)