Pink growths on chest of dog.

Breed: Rat Terrier Mix
Sometime in the past 4 weeks my dog has developed small string like pink growths on his chest. He has 4 or 5 and it looks like more are on the way.

I can provide a picture is that will help....

Hi there and thanks for your question!

This certainly sounds like a situation where a picture would be helpful.

You can email a picture to drmarie@askavetquestion.com. I'll have a look and see if I can help you out!

OK, thanks for the excellent picture! Dante looks like a sweetheart!

Those are interesting growths. From the pictures they look like they could be skin tags. It is a little bit unusual to see a bunch of them appear all of a sudden like this. However, I have had a similar case of a dog who had skin tags that were all clustered near the breastbone. It was determined that the dog's skin was irritated by a rough surface he was lying on repeatedly and that somehow the irritation stimulated the skin to grow the tags. However, this is definitely not common!

The lumps could also be a viral type of wart called a papilloma virus. However, they usually look more like rough pieces of cauliflower. The growths on Dante look smoother than this.

If this were my case I would likely advise doing a biopsy of one of these to determine what they are. They are extremely unlikely to be cancerous but it is always a good idea to check every unusual skin growth.

I hope that helps!

Crying after using litter box. After my cat eats, drinks, gets up or uses the cat box she cries this very strange... (25460 views)

Problems after enema. Hello. Our 2 year old cat has had two bouts with constipation that required a... (32014 views)

Pit Bull doesn't want to walk. Okay, A few minuets ago I went on a walk/jog with my playful Putbull/Lab, I had... (7612 views)

Genetic defects in a puppy. my dog has tapeworms and she gave birth to four puppies.one was born really skinny... (10142 views)

Sardine treats for my cat. Is this recipe for cat treats safe for my cat? 3/4 cup dry, whole wheat bread... (6897 views)

Yellow diarrhea and runny eyes. i have a kitten that has diarreah yellowish in color. she acts like she has a hard... (6817 views)

Hip dysplasia and arthritis. Hello, My dog Jasmine is about 13 & 1/2 years old. We live in New York City. I... (12434 views)

Tick part left in dog? I have just recently removed a tickt from my dog from just above his eye how do I... (7304 views)

Thyroid cancer? Hello, about 10 months ago my dog started heavily panting while playing with her... (11278 views)

Worms in stool. My dogs stool has a lot of worms in it. My Mom's friends takes care of a lot of... (16193 views)