Pink growths on chest of dog.

Breed: Rat Terrier Mix
Sometime in the past 4 weeks my dog has developed small string like pink growths on his chest. He has 4 or 5 and it looks like more are on the way.

I can provide a picture is that will help....

Hi there and thanks for your question!

This certainly sounds like a situation where a picture would be helpful.

You can email a picture to drmarie@askavetquestion.com. I'll have a look and see if I can help you out!

OK, thanks for the excellent picture! Dante looks like a sweetheart!

Those are interesting growths. From the pictures they look like they could be skin tags. It is a little bit unusual to see a bunch of them appear all of a sudden like this. However, I have had a similar case of a dog who had skin tags that were all clustered near the breastbone. It was determined that the dog's skin was irritated by a rough surface he was lying on repeatedly and that somehow the irritation stimulated the skin to grow the tags. However, this is definitely not common!

The lumps could also be a viral type of wart called a papilloma virus. However, they usually look more like rough pieces of cauliflower. The growths on Dante look smoother than this.

If this were my case I would likely advise doing a biopsy of one of these to determine what they are. They are extremely unlikely to be cancerous but it is always a good idea to check every unusual skin growth.

I hope that helps!

Vomiting and not eating. Buster was throwing up for over two weeks. I had him to an emergency pet hospital,... (22916 views)

Growth near bum of cat. Hello: I noticed my outside male cat had a growth coming out of his back end. After... (14988 views)

Are soy nuts bad for dogs? Are roasted soynuts safe for... (17375 views)

Vomiting and diarrhea. My dog has eaten very little the last week and has thrown up almost every time. He... (10635 views)

Not using litter box. All of a sudden my cat, has decided to use her litterbox to urinate only. She will... (9532 views)

Rat is not eating. my pet rat has an infection and we took her to the vet and was given a mineral food... (8963 views)

Crusty cat nipple. My 8 year old male cats nipple was hard and crusty. I pulled it and it came out and... (68122 views)

Hamster is dying. My hamster is 2 years and 11 months now . I noticed he hasnt been drinking as much ,... (9322 views)

Sore dachshund My dog Mya has been shaking and is nervous and sensitive around her stomache area. I... (8362 views)

Itchy dog. I had noticed the oldest one of my dogs, Chloe, chewing and itching a little more... (47498 views)