Pink growths on chest of dog.

Breed: Rat Terrier Mix
Sometime in the past 4 weeks my dog has developed small string like pink growths on his chest. He has 4 or 5 and it looks like more are on the way.

I can provide a picture is that will help....

Hi there and thanks for your question!

This certainly sounds like a situation where a picture would be helpful.

You can email a picture to drmarie@askavetquestion.com. I'll have a look and see if I can help you out!

OK, thanks for the excellent picture! Dante looks like a sweetheart!

Those are interesting growths. From the pictures they look like they could be skin tags. It is a little bit unusual to see a bunch of them appear all of a sudden like this. However, I have had a similar case of a dog who had skin tags that were all clustered near the breastbone. It was determined that the dog's skin was irritated by a rough surface he was lying on repeatedly and that somehow the irritation stimulated the skin to grow the tags. However, this is definitely not common!

The lumps could also be a viral type of wart called a papilloma virus. However, they usually look more like rough pieces of cauliflower. The growths on Dante look smoother than this.

If this were my case I would likely advise doing a biopsy of one of these to determine what they are. They are extremely unlikely to be cancerous but it is always a good idea to check every unusual skin growth.

I hope that helps!

Golden retriever won't eat. Dr, Changing Max's food doesn't seem to help. He went to the new food since... (27770 views)

Lump on hamster's toe. Hey! A week or 2 ago I noticed a tiny reddish pink bump on one of the toes on my... (16603 views)

Problems after enema. Hello. Our 2 year old cat has had two bouts with constipation that required a... (32598 views)

Howling when trying to pee. We took Ferna to the vet a few months ago for vomiting and they prescribed hairball... (9425 views)

Sick kitten. Kitty is 13 weeks old, has had diarehha off and on for 9 days, also another sibling,... (9856 views)

PPA safety for dogs. Hi, Dr. Marie: I am writing a follow-up question from a few weeks ago regarding... (13760 views)

Trouble going to the bathroom. First off i want to say i really wish i could do the paid option so i could for sure... (8443 views)

Brown spots on dog's belly. In the last 5 weeks, I've noticed some skin spots on my 3 year old Yorkshire... (33233 views)

Pelvis fracture. Dear Dr Marie, My dog currently has a broken pelvis that is not mending. It... (17645 views)

Paralyzed chihuahua My dog is just laying here stiff in the rear but wont move anything but his head. He... (10006 views)