Ok for dog to eat cat food?

Breed: cock-a-poo
My puppy gets annoyed and jealous of me interacting with my cat, especially when I feed the cat. I usually give her a small hand full of Whiskas Kibble, just so she won't feel left out. Is there anything wrong with dogs having a little snack on cat food, if it doesn't spoil there supper?

A tiny amount of cat food is not likely to cause harm to a dog. I wouldn't want to feed more than just a few kibbles though for a few reasons:

1. Cat food is more nutrient dense, so your dog would likely gain weight.

2. If he's getting more cat food than dog food then he's not getting the proper nutrients he needs from his dog food.

3. He may decide that he only likes cat food and may stop eating his dog food. Then you get into a vicious cycle where you feel bad for him so you give him more cat food (because that is what he likes to eat) and as a result he eats less of his dog food.

So, a few kibbles here and there is likely fine, but don't go overboard!

Infection after cherry eye surgery? Chewy had successful cherry eye surgery about 3 months ago. Vet has closed. I... (13897 views)

Cat aggressive with new kitten. I just got a new kitten but one of the cats in my house is attacking him. Ever... (13301 views)

Getting cat to lose weight. Dear Dr Marie, We have just adopted a fat cat, and are trying to reduce his weight.... (5277 views)

Wound on dog's ear. Hello, my puppy has a tiny hole underneath his ear flap. It's red and I worry its... (12759 views)

Itchy scrotum after grooming. Our dog is constantly licking his area where his testicles used to be (he is... (23867 views)

Dog with wound. My pup is 7 months old and two days ago she dug out of her kennel and I didn't see... (17218 views)

Is it ok to shave a cat? Dear Dr. Marie, Greetings from Singapore! This is my 4th time writing to... (10479 views)

Fecal incontinence. My 11-year-old Pug was diagnosed with a luxating patella at 8 years of age. He was... (7581 views)

Not well after vaccines. Had rabies distemper & bord shots fri Gave her frontline & heartguard yest night.... (8706 views)

Inverted vulva and puppy vaginitis. I have purchased a Golden Retriever to be used as a new dog for breeding. She is... (41183 views)