Can't walk, dehydrated puppy.

Breed: Mixed breed Chihuahu
My puppy is 3 months old. She was left at home with her dogsitter but was obviously never let out of the kennel. When I went to walk her and the others, she was like limp. She must've not had food or water for days. I gave her water and she drank it. She would later vomit. But I still continued with the water. She would not eat. Now she is barely walking when she must but she wont use her hind legs. Do you think she will be ok, is it just dehydration or is there something more to this?

Oh dear, this does sound serious.

There are a number of things that can cause a puppy to have these symptoms.

Yes, if she had been deprived of food and water she could have these symptoms. But, if she is this sick it may be that the lack of water has caused kidney failure. If this is the case she needs IV fluid therapy by your veterinarian.

There are a number of other possibilities. It is possible that she has a virus such as parvo virus. Usually dogs with this will have diarrhea as well as the vomiting.

It's also possible that she has eaten something toxic to her kidneys such as antifreeze or certain types of plants.

The lack of use of her legs has me concerned. It may just be that she is so weak that her muscles will not support her. But, it could also be that she has suffered an injury to her spine.

In any case, this is a case that needs to see the vet right away.

Cat not eating since new kitten arrived. My cat's behavior has changed quite a bit and won't eat. I will explain when he... (28616 views)

lump on dog's abdomen. Hi Dr Marie, Hopefully this is a simple question. I've noticed that one of Max's... (24487 views)

Dogs ate chocolate and sugar. I have an 85 pound lab, an 8 pound mini dachshund and a 12 pound mini dachshund. We... (22727 views)

Dental cleaning extend dog's life? My Pug Chocko has a tooth that feels loose. I think it's his lower central incisor... (7540 views)

Raw skin on nose. My dog has a dry and flaky nose. It is constantly running (clear liquid but from him... (6408 views)

arthritis in 17 year old dog I have a 17 year old female german shepard/black lab/collie mix that weighs 45... (89997 views)

Crusty ears and very itchy. i have a boston terrier that just turned 1 year old (female). at 6 months i took her... (11169 views)

Nutritional supplement for repeated fractures. I have a chihuahua who has broken the same leg three times in the last year. The... (11207 views)

Shifting lameness and weight loss. In March, Grayson suddenly started limping on his front left paw. We took him to... (8586 views)

Pug died suddenly. Aloha, Our beloved Pug Tobi passed away unexpectedly on Wednesday and as much as I... (9879 views)