Can't walk, dehydrated puppy.

Breed: Mixed breed Chihuahu
My puppy is 3 months old. She was left at home with her dogsitter but was obviously never let out of the kennel. When I went to walk her and the others, she was like limp. She must've not had food or water for days. I gave her water and she drank it. She would later vomit. But I still continued with the water. She would not eat. Now she is barely walking when she must but she wont use her hind legs. Do you think she will be ok, is it just dehydration or is there something more to this?

Oh dear, this does sound serious.

There are a number of things that can cause a puppy to have these symptoms.

Yes, if she had been deprived of food and water she could have these symptoms. But, if she is this sick it may be that the lack of water has caused kidney failure. If this is the case she needs IV fluid therapy by your veterinarian.

There are a number of other possibilities. It is possible that she has a virus such as parvo virus. Usually dogs with this will have diarrhea as well as the vomiting.

It's also possible that she has eaten something toxic to her kidneys such as antifreeze or certain types of plants.

The lack of use of her legs has me concerned. It may just be that she is so weak that her muscles will not support her. But, it could also be that she has suffered an injury to her spine.

In any case, this is a case that needs to see the vet right away.

Lump on dog's side after fight. Hi there, I have a Chihuahua mix who has this huge, loose swelling on his side. He's... (14027 views)

Weakness in legs and thirsty. Dear Dr. Marie, Sammy has been having weakness in hind legs,difficulty standing... (14012 views)

Radiation danger to pets? I am currently undergoing radioactive iodine therapy and my doctor says that I need... (41278 views)

Hamster too cold? hi! my hamster has been sleeping alot. she is usally up sometimes during the day and... (9442 views)

Liver infections in cat. My 13 year old cat has had at least 3 serious, life threatening liver infections... (8723 views)

Red sores on mouth. My dog has developed sores or bubbley looking things round her mouth. They get... (18409 views)

Is coconut oil good for dogs? Hello, I'm writing to find out if coconut oil is safe and beneficial to feed my... (10660 views)

Why is cat urinating in the house? Hi Dr. Marie, Recently, my one cat Habibi has started urinating outside of the... (7531 views)

Wart on a cat? Hello. I found a small bump on my cat's throat a few months ago. It has gotten... (43959 views)

Dog waking every 2 hours. Our dog gets congested, breathes through his mouth, his mouth dries out and he wants... (33588 views)