Cat suddenly bites or scratches.

Breed: 'Moggy'
Hi there....i have a beautiful BIG moggy who is a 'lovecat' - very affectionate - and she is, and always has been a 'housecat'. She will sit next to me purring quite happily..but on occasions, for NO apparent reason, suddenly will'turn' on me, try to nip and/or scratch me, and hiss and spit! Then she will go back to cleaning herself, snd carry on sitting next to me! Needless to say I leave it a while before showing her TOO much affection after this. She is a rescue cat but to the best of my knowledge has NEVER been mistreated as a kitten. She is quite heavy also - I NEVER overfeed her, incidentally - and it is just impossible for me to pick her up to take her to the vet for say, a general check up, as she goes absolutely bananas, and scratches and hisses...I live alone so have no help in this respect. I have had cats all my life, but never one so 'unpredictable' - yet so affectionate - as this! Any ideas welcome. Many thanks.

I have seen a number of cats who act like this. In fact, one of my own cats will occasionally decide that she wants to bite or scratch for no apparent reason. Often there is no particular reason for cats to suddenly lash out like this.

I'm not likely to be able to solve your problem but I can give you a few ideas.

First of all, some cats are particularly sensitive on different parts of their body. One common area for sensitivity is the end of the back (near the tail). Often when you are petting a cat there they will act like they are really really enjoying it and then suddenly they get overstimulated and start to bite. If you notice that Missy bites after you have been touching certain areas then the answer would be to not pet her in those areas. (Similarly, many cats will do this when their belly is being pet.)

If you do feel like Missy is sensitive on her back, then one thing to consider is to put a prescription strength flea preventative on her. Some cats are so sensitive to fleas that just one flea bite can make them super irritated. Many times, there is no outward evidence of fleas. But I have had cats that had anger issues that were much better behaved after a flea treatment.

You could look at purchasing something called Feliway. You can buy Feliway as a plugin that releases pheromone into the air. Humans can't detect any smell, but it will help cats to feel more relaxed and can reduce aggressive behavior. There is scientific evidence for this as well - it's not just a well advertised product.

Another thing that could really help is a medication such as Reconcile or Clomicalm or Amitriptyline. However, these are medicines that would have to be prescribed by your vet and your vet would likely want to examine Missy in order to prescribe these.

If this was a new behavior for Missy I would wonder about a possible pain issue. If this was my case, I might consider trying a pain medication to see if it makes a difference. Cats can often hide their pain and it can be hard to determine what the issue is. However, once again, you'd need to have your vet examine Missy in order to get medication. There is no over the counter pain medication that is safe for cats.

Unfortunately this can be something that there is no "cure" for. I have seen some cats where it is just in their nature to have bouts of aggressive behavior.

Hopefully things look up soon!

Can a feral cat be tamed? Dr. Marie - a few months ago I came across a feral cat who is now named Gypsy. I... (7603 views)

Swollen dog testicles. can dogs get testuculer or prostate cancers? my dog has swollen testicles, and is... (35111 views)

Diarrhea and coughing. First off let me apologize for the convoluted description of the symptoms, but I... (5292 views)

Kitten can't hold head up. I recently found a abandoned kitten and took it into my house. I've had for a week... (11455 views)

Diarrhea with mucus. Dr, Are you familiar with those bullwinkle sticks. They are about 13" long, bull... (19797 views)

Immune mediated disease. Our dog was taken to the vet on July 3rd after 2 days of lethargy and falling over... (15903 views)

Coughing chihuahua My chihuahua has had an intermittent cough since roughly last year when she had most... (14592 views)

Stop dogs from fighting. I have 2 female doxies, one beats up the other all the time. How can i control this?... (5020 views)

Itchy and meowing. Hi my female cat is 14 she has been very itchy lately she is a indoor cat only she's... (6416 views)

Very sick dog. Last night I noticed my dog had diarrhea and bad gas, but I thought she was just a... (15635 views)