Dog has loose stools.

Breed: Vizsla
I adopted Levi, a beautiful and terrific champion show dog in August. I have never had an animal, and am learning "on the job" as we go along. He has always had loose stools, but since his temperament, energy, and eating habits are good I did not worry about it much. Should I? He is eating Canedae twice a day and often we put chicken or turkey consomme on top. His treats are chicken jerky or potato/duck bone. I saw on one of your replies that chicken and rice and fasting could help? Thank you for your reply in advance, Zsuzsa

Hi and thanks for your question!

The chicken and rice idea is something that I do for acute cases of diarrhea. For example, if a dog got into the garbage and had upset intestines, feeding boiled chicken and white rice for a couple of days is something that is easy for the intestines to handle. This usually makes the transition back to normal stools quicker.

But, in Levi's case, this is not an acute problem but rather a chronic one.

I never consider it normal for a dog to have loose stools. in most cases there is something that can be done to make them better. The problem is that it is often difficult to determine what is going on.

The first step I would recommend is to have your vet examine a stool sample to make sure there are no parasites there. In my area we are seeing lots of dogs with giardia. This parasite is usually killed with a particular antibiotic (metronidazole). And there are other parasites that are possible as well.

Canidea dog food is in my list of foods that I have concerns about. I am in the middle of writing a series of articles about dog nutrition based at dispelling some of the myths when it comes to dog foods. In my practice I find that a good number of dogs who are on so called premium diets will actually have soft stools. Often changing from a "holistic" food to a regular commercial diet will make a big difference. Personally I believe that there are a lot of misconceptions out there when it comes to dog food. Not all corn is bad. High protein is not necessarily better. There is no documented benefit to grain free. My point is, that a switch in food may be helpful. The three commercial foods that I recommend that consistently seem to produce healthy coats and normal stools are Iams, Science diet and Royal Canin.

Now, the next point is very important. The stool problems could very well be because of the chicken jerky. Check your brand of chicken jerky. Is it made in China? Some packages (like Waggin Train) say that they are an American Company but then have small print saying that they use ingredients from China. There is something awful going on with chicken jerky right now. The FDA is investigating it. For more information, see my article here on problems with chicken jerky.

If none of those things make a difference then you may want to ask your vet about the possibility of more rare things such as a bacterial problem or inflammatory bowel disease. I have some dogs with chronic diarrhea that do really well with a small amount of an antibiotic called Tylosin in their food each day. These dogs probably have chronic Clostridium issues.

I hope that helps and I hope that things firm up soon!

Thank you very much for your reply! I learned a lot, and will follow your advice. Kind regards, Zsuzsa

Possible pyometra. My dog I believe is in heat but this month instead of a thin red color the discharge... (7044 views)

Mange treatment. Dr. Marie: My dog has demodectic mange. We give her Promeris, but it makes her... (14699 views)

Purple feces. Why is my dog's poop... (13036 views)

ibuprofen for arthritis? my dog seems to have problems sometimes when getting up from a short or long rest,... (8154 views)

Gave meds to early. Hi Dr. Marie, We are away from home this weekend and our pet sitter came early... (9379 views)

Recipe for skunk odor. My cat got sprayed by a skunk. What do you recomend to get rid of the... (9093 views)

Addison's disease. I had almost the same experience as the person who wrote you about losing their dog... (17052 views)

Frontline and capstar but still has fleas. My cat has fleas. We have treated him with capstar and frontline, given him a flea... (17665 views)

Bloated abdomen in hamster. Hi....our pet hamster buddy is extremely bloated. We have had him for a year and a... (74827 views)

Unexplained liver problems. Dr. Marie, I have a now 14 year old yorkie with some complex medical issues and... (6087 views)