Dog has loose stools.

Breed: Vizsla
I adopted Levi, a beautiful and terrific champion show dog in August. I have never had an animal, and am learning "on the job" as we go along. He has always had loose stools, but since his temperament, energy, and eating habits are good I did not worry about it much. Should I? He is eating Canedae twice a day and often we put chicken or turkey consomme on top. His treats are chicken jerky or potato/duck bone. I saw on one of your replies that chicken and rice and fasting could help? Thank you for your reply in advance, Zsuzsa

Hi and thanks for your question!

The chicken and rice idea is something that I do for acute cases of diarrhea. For example, if a dog got into the garbage and had upset intestines, feeding boiled chicken and white rice for a couple of days is something that is easy for the intestines to handle. This usually makes the transition back to normal stools quicker.

But, in Levi's case, this is not an acute problem but rather a chronic one.

I never consider it normal for a dog to have loose stools. in most cases there is something that can be done to make them better. The problem is that it is often difficult to determine what is going on.

The first step I would recommend is to have your vet examine a stool sample to make sure there are no parasites there. In my area we are seeing lots of dogs with giardia. This parasite is usually killed with a particular antibiotic (metronidazole). And there are other parasites that are possible as well.

Canidea dog food is in my list of foods that I have concerns about. I am in the middle of writing a series of articles about dog nutrition based at dispelling some of the myths when it comes to dog foods. In my practice I find that a good number of dogs who are on so called premium diets will actually have soft stools. Often changing from a "holistic" food to a regular commercial diet will make a big difference. Personally I believe that there are a lot of misconceptions out there when it comes to dog food. Not all corn is bad. High protein is not necessarily better. There is no documented benefit to grain free. My point is, that a switch in food may be helpful. The three commercial foods that I recommend that consistently seem to produce healthy coats and normal stools are Iams, Science diet and Royal Canin.

Now, the next point is very important. The stool problems could very well be because of the chicken jerky. Check your brand of chicken jerky. Is it made in China? Some packages (like Waggin Train) say that they are an American Company but then have small print saying that they use ingredients from China. There is something awful going on with chicken jerky right now. The FDA is investigating it. For more information, see my article here on problems with chicken jerky.

If none of those things make a difference then you may want to ask your vet about the possibility of more rare things such as a bacterial problem or inflammatory bowel disease. I have some dogs with chronic diarrhea that do really well with a small amount of an antibiotic called Tylosin in their food each day. These dogs probably have chronic Clostridium issues.

I hope that helps and I hope that things firm up soon!

Thank you very much for your reply! I learned a lot, and will follow your advice. Kind regards, Zsuzsa

Tumor in belly. I recently discovered my 13 year old cat has a probably cancerous mass growing in... (6799 views)

Flea problems. WELL MY CAT HAD FLEA'S AND I DEFLEAD THE CAT THE PRODUCTS I USED TO DEFLEA MY CAT... (9244 views)

Hip dysplasia in pupp Hi I have a 13 month old German Shepherd male Havoc. He runs great. Jumps great and... (31198 views)

Eye medicine for my cat. We adopted A domestic short haired cat from our local animal shelter. He had an eye... (9076 views)

Interstitial cystitis. My cat has had reoccurring Cystitis. She strains when going to the toilet,... (5538 views)

Dog ate sanitary pad About a month ago my dog got into the trash and chewed up some sanitary napkins. He ... (6020 views)

Arthritis in a Newfie. My ten year old Newfie mix is eating less and seems very stiff and sometimes... (10175 views)

Lump after vaccines. We took Max to the vet for shots. The vet gave them to him on his lower back and he... (33576 views)

Separation anxiety. Dear Dr. Marie, My family and I adopted Champ, who is a 2 1/2 year old... (7074 views)

Bumps around anus. Itchiness and swollen bumps "cauliflower" looking around her vagina and anus. She... (54540 views)