Dog has loose stools.

Breed: Vizsla
I adopted Levi, a beautiful and terrific champion show dog in August. I have never had an animal, and am learning "on the job" as we go along. He has always had loose stools, but since his temperament, energy, and eating habits are good I did not worry about it much. Should I? He is eating Canedae twice a day and often we put chicken or turkey consomme on top. His treats are chicken jerky or potato/duck bone. I saw on one of your replies that chicken and rice and fasting could help? Thank you for your reply in advance, Zsuzsa

Hi and thanks for your question!

The chicken and rice idea is something that I do for acute cases of diarrhea. For example, if a dog got into the garbage and had upset intestines, feeding boiled chicken and white rice for a couple of days is something that is easy for the intestines to handle. This usually makes the transition back to normal stools quicker.

But, in Levi's case, this is not an acute problem but rather a chronic one.

I never consider it normal for a dog to have loose stools. in most cases there is something that can be done to make them better. The problem is that it is often difficult to determine what is going on.

The first step I would recommend is to have your vet examine a stool sample to make sure there are no parasites there. In my area we are seeing lots of dogs with giardia. This parasite is usually killed with a particular antibiotic (metronidazole). And there are other parasites that are possible as well.

Canidea dog food is in my list of foods that I have concerns about. I am in the middle of writing a series of articles about dog nutrition based at dispelling some of the myths when it comes to dog foods. In my practice I find that a good number of dogs who are on so called premium diets will actually have soft stools. Often changing from a "holistic" food to a regular commercial diet will make a big difference. Personally I believe that there are a lot of misconceptions out there when it comes to dog food. Not all corn is bad. High protein is not necessarily better. There is no documented benefit to grain free. My point is, that a switch in food may be helpful. The three commercial foods that I recommend that consistently seem to produce healthy coats and normal stools are Iams, Science diet and Royal Canin.

Now, the next point is very important. The stool problems could very well be because of the chicken jerky. Check your brand of chicken jerky. Is it made in China? Some packages (like Waggin Train) say that they are an American Company but then have small print saying that they use ingredients from China. There is something awful going on with chicken jerky right now. The FDA is investigating it. For more information, see my article here on problems with chicken jerky.

If none of those things make a difference then you may want to ask your vet about the possibility of more rare things such as a bacterial problem or inflammatory bowel disease. I have some dogs with chronic diarrhea that do really well with a small amount of an antibiotic called Tylosin in their food each day. These dogs probably have chronic Clostridium issues.

I hope that helps and I hope that things firm up soon!

Thank you very much for your reply! I learned a lot, and will follow your advice. Kind regards, Zsuzsa

Possible degnerative myelopathy. My 12 year old Chesapeake Bay Retreiver has been diagnosed with degenerative disc... (8475 views)

Round spot on cat's leg. He has a bald patch high on his leg. we considered it might be ringworm but the... (8624 views)

Bald spots on bulldog's legs. We purchased a baby bulldog about a month ago. We already had a bulldog, Mina, and... (27629 views)

Hard lump below ribs. My male puppy has a hard lump right below his rib cage (in the center)... is it... (17574 views)

Black stuff in cat's ears. Hi Dr. Marie. My cat Thelma (who happens to be male and nearly 15) has had an issue... (37636 views)

URTI in cats. Hi I have got 2 cats, Xena 1,6 years and Nemo, a kitten 12 weeks. When the Nemo... (13437 views)

Not eating or using litter box. about 4 or 5 days ago my cat stopped eating and using the bethroom for about 2 days.... (15345 views)

Doesn't like s/d. My dog has bladder stones(a lot) and was put on Hills Prescription diet s/d Canine... (11087 views)

Rodent ulcer treatment options. My cat is 9 yrs old has it 4th case of rodent ulcer on its mouth usely it takes... (13837 views)

PU surgery on a cat? Hi Dr. Marie , I hope you can help me with my cat, Jack. He is 1 ½ years old and... (10221 views)