Fever and dizziness in older dog.

Breed: Labrador
Dear Dr. Marie,

Kodi is a 15 years old Labrador, he is very active and love to play all the time. He is usually in great health however, since the last 7 days, he has the following symptoms:

- weakness
- dizziness (on and off)
- ear pain
- jaw/gum pain
- eyes a bit pink
- unable to chew on hard food
- diarrhea (it started today only)

I took his temperature at 3pm today and he was 103.1 and another at 6pm and he was 102.8. He has been weak for about 1 week, on and off. Yesterday he jumped like a puppy but today he is weak again.

He is able to eat, just not hard food. It looks like he has some type of infection and I would like to have your professional opinion.

Thank you and have a wonderful day.

These are odd symptoms. From what you have described, your dog has a mild fever, and pain in his ear and face, redness in his eyes and diarrhea. I really can't think of a specific condition that could cause this, but I can take a few guesses.

An insect sting could cause some of the symptoms. However, this should not come and go over the course of a week. An abscess somewhere in his head could cause this. One possibility is an abscess behind his eye. This is called a retrobulbar abscess. It can cause the red eyes (although really it would just be one eye), and the pain in his ear and jaw as well as the fever.

A good number of these symptoms alone would be reason enough for me to suggest an emergency visit. We do not normally see fevers in dogs. They are almost always a sign of some type of medical problem. And, the wobbliness has me quite concerned. That, combined with the fact that he is an older dog makes me even more inclined to say that he really should see a vet right away.

I'm sorry I don't have a more clear answer for you. I hope this is not something really serious like a tumor affecting his face and brain. There really isn't anything that I can suggest for you to do at home. He really does need to see a vet right away.

I hope he is ok.

Sedation for euthanasia? My cat was recently diagnosed with tumors in his lungs.He's no longer eating on his... (11616 views)

Liver disease in a cat. Ruby is 8 years old, and was diagnosed with liver disease last Thursday. I could... (15322 views)

vet question Hi Dr. Marie. My name is Kim. I'm from Sydney, Australia. My dog, Lassie is going on... (8749 views)

Is this lump cancer? I noticed yesterday that my babe has a lump about the size of a kiwi on her bottom... (15091 views)

Dog has bone cancer. My dog has been limping for some time now. His toe has been diagnosed with Bone... (10845 views)

Guinea pig with mammary tumor. what does a large open lump on a guinea pigs tit mean? the tit has gone!... (12574 views)

Limping cat. My cat is limping, she is not putting weight on her left hind leg. She isn't cut or... (19965 views)

Kitten with large belly. Ted is a name we have given to a stray cat that has been coming to our house for the... (10314 views)

Cat died. Hit by car? My cat was found a few days ago under my neighbours car. He had been bleeding from... (25660 views)

Is this Pemphigus? My cat Loki is a 4 yr old, neutered male. Over the past 2 years he has been getting... (8587 views)