Fever and dizziness in older dog.

Breed: Labrador
Dear Dr. Marie,

Kodi is a 15 years old Labrador, he is very active and love to play all the time. He is usually in great health however, since the last 7 days, he has the following symptoms:

- weakness
- dizziness (on and off)
- ear pain
- jaw/gum pain
- eyes a bit pink
- unable to chew on hard food
- diarrhea (it started today only)

I took his temperature at 3pm today and he was 103.1 and another at 6pm and he was 102.8. He has been weak for about 1 week, on and off. Yesterday he jumped like a puppy but today he is weak again.

He is able to eat, just not hard food. It looks like he has some type of infection and I would like to have your professional opinion.

Thank you and have a wonderful day.

These are odd symptoms. From what you have described, your dog has a mild fever, and pain in his ear and face, redness in his eyes and diarrhea. I really can't think of a specific condition that could cause this, but I can take a few guesses.

An insect sting could cause some of the symptoms. However, this should not come and go over the course of a week. An abscess somewhere in his head could cause this. One possibility is an abscess behind his eye. This is called a retrobulbar abscess. It can cause the red eyes (although really it would just be one eye), and the pain in his ear and jaw as well as the fever.

A good number of these symptoms alone would be reason enough for me to suggest an emergency visit. We do not normally see fevers in dogs. They are almost always a sign of some type of medical problem. And, the wobbliness has me quite concerned. That, combined with the fact that he is an older dog makes me even more inclined to say that he really should see a vet right away.

I'm sorry I don't have a more clear answer for you. I hope this is not something really serious like a tumor affecting his face and brain. There really isn't anything that I can suggest for you to do at home. He really does need to see a vet right away.

I hope he is ok.

Clavamox drops out of fridge. Hey Doc...Sparky was put on Clavamox drops because he has an abscess. The vet... (48714 views)

maggots in guinea pig's cage Dear dr marie, i found maggots in my guinea pig's cage. So i want to know if he has... (13791 views)

Cat drinks from fish bowl. Hi! My cat isn't(as far as I can tell) sick at all, but rather I'm wondering... (42936 views)

Does my cat have cancer? Dear Dr. Marie, Greetings from Singapore! This is my 3rd time writing to... (14611 views)

Dog drinking and panting lots. my dog has been drinking and panting a lot since i changed his dog food last summer.... (12146 views)

Pregnant dog with a fever? My bitch is pregnant - 63 days from first breeding today. Reproduction specialist... (38175 views)

Tramadol not working. He is on Tramodol 50 mg 3x a day plus 80lbs of Metacam for Arthritis. He was put on... (14673 views)

Rat with red tears and increased thirst. I have a pet rat, almost 1. Shes been healthy her whole life, just had this weird... (9220 views)

Dog suddenly paralyzed. My beloved Pug, Newt, passed away last October.She was 12 years old. She developed a... (43812 views)

Bottom lip tremor. my poodle has recently developed a bottom lip tremor. What would cause... (29936 views)