Fever and dizziness in older dog.

Breed: Labrador
Dear Dr. Marie,

Kodi is a 15 years old Labrador, he is very active and love to play all the time. He is usually in great health however, since the last 7 days, he has the following symptoms:

- weakness
- dizziness (on and off)
- ear pain
- jaw/gum pain
- eyes a bit pink
- unable to chew on hard food
- diarrhea (it started today only)

I took his temperature at 3pm today and he was 103.1 and another at 6pm and he was 102.8. He has been weak for about 1 week, on and off. Yesterday he jumped like a puppy but today he is weak again.

He is able to eat, just not hard food. It looks like he has some type of infection and I would like to have your professional opinion.

Thank you and have a wonderful day.

These are odd symptoms. From what you have described, your dog has a mild fever, and pain in his ear and face, redness in his eyes and diarrhea. I really can't think of a specific condition that could cause this, but I can take a few guesses.

An insect sting could cause some of the symptoms. However, this should not come and go over the course of a week. An abscess somewhere in his head could cause this. One possibility is an abscess behind his eye. This is called a retrobulbar abscess. It can cause the red eyes (although really it would just be one eye), and the pain in his ear and jaw as well as the fever.

A good number of these symptoms alone would be reason enough for me to suggest an emergency visit. We do not normally see fevers in dogs. They are almost always a sign of some type of medical problem. And, the wobbliness has me quite concerned. That, combined with the fact that he is an older dog makes me even more inclined to say that he really should see a vet right away.

I'm sorry I don't have a more clear answer for you. I hope this is not something really serious like a tumor affecting his face and brain. There really isn't anything that I can suggest for you to do at home. He really does need to see a vet right away.

I hope he is ok.

Pumpkin for anal glands. My dog has anal gland troubles, the vet mentioned fiber treats, I was wondering for... (43703 views)

Coughing dog. Hi, We have talked before. Trixie is 13 years old and has had kidney issues. I... (20572 views)

Pit bull with rash. My dog has a bumpy red rash on her inner hip area,around her tail and her private... (10368 views)

Shedding because of diet? My cat lives indoors, and he's got a shedding problem. I was wondering if he is... (12290 views)

Sores on dog's nose. Dr. Marie- Our dog has been breaking out in sore/boil/blister type bumps on his... (88085 views)

Loss of muscle mass on one leg. My dog has lost muscle mass on just ONE hind leg and is getting worse everyday. He... (26768 views)

Lifespan of a rat? What is the average lifespan of a rat? My rat is 3 years old and very healthy. Is... (9213 views)

Foods unsafe for dogs? Hi Dr. Marie, I have a 6 year old Shih Tzu. I have given him human food his... (11312 views)

Cat losing weight. My cat is only about 2 years, she is female. She recently got sick, she started off... (12145 views)

Blood in poop. Hi There, I found a few drops of blood last night in and near my puppies poo. Not... (58842 views)